Twin turbo UZ ST185

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
No updates since i took the SC off but I managed to sneak an hour or so on the car this arvo, so pulled the turbos off and sorted a few other bits. Thought i'd post up a coupla images of the setup to show how 'baby' it is compared to what most use these days:

P1120729.jpg

P1120730.jpg

A quick look and it appears to be just a simple log manifold ;) but look closely and you'll see we used well bended blends to make a pretty nice flow path. The 2 centre runners have a straight path to the turbine and we used a simple 2 port merge collector to help direct flow. The early boost is a testament to how well it works i think :) Bugger all space to work with so the alternative would have been a very long runner affair i'm sure would not have worked nearly as well.

Yep those manifolds would flow enough to break most rotating assemblies ...
Ideal for road / street use ... VERY practical over long tube / equal length..
Much, much better than some you see with "sharp" 90* elbows / bends...

Yep those manifolds would flow enough to break most rotating assemblies ...
Ideal for road / street use ... VERY practical over long tube / equal length..
Much, much better than some you see with "sharp" 90* elbows / bends...

cheers mate :)

I was going to hit them with a dremel and get them ceramic coated but they don't need touching up at all internally. I've run outta time i think to get them coated so that can wait until the next teardown as engine bay heat hasn't been a bit issue to date.

Very nice Justen; I couldn't see the pics earlier because of our new IT policy prohibiting browsing of photohosting sites during work hours :mad:

I was surprised to see you going straight outboard with them this time, instead of hanging down, but tucked in close to the engine like last time? Do you have that kind of room in your engine bay?

Really? I thought sure your old setup had the turbine flange pointing down with the wastegates on top, or some such...... I do remember thinking your turbos were tucked in very nicely, fairly close to the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I thought sure your old setup had the turbine flange pointing down with the wastegates on top, or some such...... I do remember thinking your turbos were tucked in very nicely, fairly close to the engine.

The manifolds are not 90* off engine ?? Being 4WD car I assume there's heaps of clearance there...
I looked at converting a latter model FWD Celica which from memory had heaps of room there..
The steering box position had to go though as said...
As I've had to change everything on RWD anyway

Thats better...

Nope same manifolds :) They do tuck down next to the engine and yeah the WG sits of top. I couldn't get them much closer to the block easily as the engine cradle mounts get in the way.

Your setup (well the layout anyway) is similar to the cast manifold that is pretty common on the 2JZ. Here's some pics of the one on my 2JZ. These don't win any beauty contests, primarily because the integration of the WG is pretty poorly done, but they function well.

I always thought having the turbine flange on the bottom, and the WG on top, or straight out the rear would have been a clean looking solution for the 2JZ, and possibly even cleaner for the 1UZ. I believe the Veyron designers did their turbo layout like this, but of course they integrated the turbos with the exhaust manifolds, so it all looks like one system.

Most of the "hot" 2JZ manifolds are tubular headers now, so they put the turbo on top and try to fit all the spaghetti under, but I still think a good basic log like you have is a great design.

I also like the one a couple of pics down, which was from an Aussie project (I think) called the Redback Spider. Different layout completely, and something that would probably only work for a midengine or marine application.

Attachments

• JDM Motor 004a.jpg
    JDM Motor 004a.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 19
  • JDM Motor 010a.jpg
    JDM Motor 010a.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Twin Turbo 1UZ Redback Spider (Large).jpg
    Twin Turbo 1UZ Redback Spider (Large).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 28
I think that engine came up on Ebay? one very like it anyways...without the transaxle or i would have been all over it.

PS it's not a log manifold, just very short runners ;)

Say, I looked at some of your videos and pictures and the car seems to be very nimble. Although firsthand I wouldn't know. Is the 185 as nimble as before when you had the 3S engine in? Did you notice a change in handling. Has it gone down or up in performance?

A big improvement in handling as it lost 80kg in weight and Fr/Rr bias also improved. I imagine with enough tweaking you'd get the AWD setup handling as well but this conversion was a definite step forward, not backwards as many imagine ;)

A big improvement in handling as it lost 80kg in weight and Fr/Rr bias also improved. I imagine with enough tweaking you'd get the AWD setup handling as well but this conversion was a definite step forward, not backwards as many imagine ;)

Wow that's good news haha. Yes, AWD setup would be very nice. I've heard the car wouldn't be as nimble as before and that weight would be thrown off. I've been looking at the weight figures of the UZ and other components. Not too bad. I knew it was very feasible. Just gotta plan right. Interesting to see how it would all fit though. Along with the AWD setup. V8 Rally car? haha.

New E85 tune now i'm back on TT's with a new stock engine. 330rwkw on 11psi :) Strapped down and 2 dudes in the back to tame wheelspin.

Responsive as hell on the street.

water:ethanol injection made no difference to power at all....i'll probably run it track days just to help keep the thermal load down

Combustion temps will be well down with E85.. You'll notice more water / condensation when cold also through exhaust...
Water injection down stream won't hurt tho...

Broke it :( Not the engine thank god. Rear outer CV splines went at the drags. One straight up at the burn out and the 2nd on the 1st to 2nd gear shift. I guess i have the excuse i need to finally slot the rest of the Supra gear in and make the rear end tough as nails :rolleyes:

The new tow car...so far it's a cracker :) Good grunt, comfort and handles pretty well too. I had it on the local skidpan circuit and carved it up pretty well for a land barge :)

P1120738.jpg