Project Thread Twin Turbo 1UZFE into HQ Coupe

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Engine is stock apart from the modified throttle body setup which is just a stock 70mm commodore TB(would be similar to the one on the older buick v6 i think) welded to the front of the plenum, i did that so i had all the delco sensors to run with the delco 808 ecu.
2 GT28r turbo's on custom exhaust manifolds which i made and front mount intercooler.
That power figure was acheived at 13psi of boost which i will turn down to 10 over the next day or 2.

That's a good number on only 13psi. I had 430rwhp on the same boost with my twin K26/K27 hybrid combo. You must be right in the meat of the turbo's efficiency.

What size dump pipes outta interest? This is an area where i think i can pick up some easy hp if only i could find the room.

Engine is stock apart from the modified throttle body setup which is just a stock 70mm commodore TB(would be similar to the one on the older buick v6 i think) welded to the front of the plenum, i did that so i had all the delco sensors to run with the delco 808 ecu.
2 GT28r turbo's on custom exhaust manifolds which i made and front mount intercooler.
That power figure was acheived at 13psi of boost which i will turn down to 10 over the next day or 2.
A stock 1UZFE pumps out 476 whp at 13 psi? It's really a monster. I thought it'd pump out around 400 whp instead, but I maybe wrong. I don't seen any picture with an intercooler there. The thing that amazes me is the stock 1UZFE can safely make that much hp.

Mine is currently around 540rwhp on 17psi (wheelspinning on dyno) so they can produce the numbers even in stock form. 475rwhp on only 13psi is very impressive though, as i said the turbos much be right in the meat of their efficiency range.

HILLBILLY - What sort of ignition advance are you running? Do you run WI?

Nice results mate! Very inspirational indeed Lex. I'll have my car going one day...one day...I'm sure of it! :(

That's a good number on only 13psi. I had 430rwhp on the same boost with my twin K26/K27 hybrid combo. You must be right in the meat of the turbo's efficiency.

What size dump pipes outta interest? This is an area where i think i can pick up some easy hp if only i could find the room.

Dual 3" system all the way with no cat's and just the 2 mufflers, it is very quiet on idle with no droning at all but sounds sweet when you open the throttle :)

Mine is currently around 540rwhp on 17psi (wheelspinning on dyno) so they can produce the numbers even in stock form. 475rwhp on only 13psi is very impressive though, as i said the turbos much be right in the meat of their efficiency range.

HILLBILLY - What sort of ignition advance are you running? Do you run WI?

Anything up to 32` advance within the 0 to 100kpa maps(off boost), then around 15` advance within 100 to 200 kpa map's (boost).
Hope this is what you mean as i'm not a tuner, bit of a novice when it comes to reading the Kalmaker maps.
No water injection ,if that's what you meant,

Yeah thanx HILLBILLY spot on what i was asking. Advance is similar to mine so i think your extra hp is a combo of better exhaust flow (mine starts twin 2.5 and then single 4 inch) and no WI. I run the WI for insurance but it does hurt hp a little.

Must have been an eye opener for your tuner, a stocker with bolt on's laying down uber hp :)

Well it was fun while it lasted (about 2 weeks).
But the motor packed it in last saturday night while racing some guy in a ute with a modded Gen3.
Only consolation was that I was beating him at the time :)

What I first thought was a shattered piston turned out to be a broken rod as well. Took the lot down to my engine builder mate to look at and recceived the news that I had 1 broken rod and 5 bent ones, 1 pretty serious one at that. Lucky for me the block is ok and the crank appears to be not damaged.

Just got of the phone from him and he tells me that the rods out of his crown motor are almost twice the size as mine wtf..

Forged ross pistons should be here tomorrow just have to see what i'll do about the rods.

Yeah i figured you (and my 500+rwhp) must be close to the limit and without WI i reckon you had a bit of det and all over red rover.

Can't wait to see what your forged beastie is gonna do

After chasing gaskets etc from toyota it appears my motor is from a 95ish ls400 which has smaller rods and shorter pistons with comp at 10.5 to 1.
Which is great in na form as it has more horsepower but not so good when you turbo it.

Hillbilly,
Well we know what hp the smaller rods will take now.
What CR are you going to?

thats a nice car. too bad it blew up. ive heard on the forum that the stock crank is pretty tough, but the rest of the bottom end is a bit weak. but 475 whp, thats Z06 territory. im impressed, i thought the stock 1UZ wouldnt take that much abuse.

Well, you have to keep it relative guys. It's a non-performance oriented stock engine being asked to make about 75bhp/cylinder. I don't always like generalizations, but that's real tough to ask even high end production engines to do that were not specifically designed for the possibilities of such duty.

The simple fact that there are so many millions of *general production* Toyota engines that can do that speak plenty for all of them.

I have not seen the rods side by side but it looks like the evedence is there about the later rods being smaller. Also the fuel rails being cast is a give away as a later model engine.
Hillbilly some pics would be good if you can get them.

so its true that the latter 1uz's have smaller rods?

I have not seen the rods side by side but it looks like the evedence is there about the later rods being smaller. Also the fuel rails being cast is a give away as a later model engine.
Hillbilly some pics would be good if you can get them.
I know you guys haven't been around our site beside the forum. There are few articles about the rods. Here it is http://www.lextreme.com/rods.html Its interesting to see that 95 would have smaller rods. I would assume post 98 in all engines have skinnier rods. Can you post some pictures of the rods and perhaps Crown rods too.