Tips on finding missing boost

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Some sort of overboost ignition fuel cutout would be a safe option ??
This is on most aftermarket ECU's..

Attachments

• Celica parts auto 007 (Medium).jpg
    Celica parts auto 007 (Medium).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Celica parts auto 006 (Medium).jpg
    Celica parts auto 006 (Medium).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 4
Nem- can you elaborate a little on your restrictor idea? I am trying to find a fool proof way to setup this so i can sleep at night. My 1st idea was electronic but decided to scrap that because of so many items being used and the increased risk of failure. My second idea was a well made mechanical boost controller because they are simple and then some how "lock" in place so that there's no way to loosen. dude 1psi at 2000 is REALLY good lol. That mimics a small turbo w/ very little lag. I start seeing boost on 3.6'' pulley at 3500. Is this using the 3.4'' pulley? and do you plan to keep using it with the cutoff idea?

Since your car makes more power / boost with the supercharger intake off, I would look into the intake being a restriction.

Mine may be a restriction, the supercharger inlet is 3.5 inches and I have a 3 inch intake pipe.

KC

I agree, I have seen many many centri setups and most/all have very small intakes if any at all. I have never ran ANY kind of intake off the charger itself. I physically cannot fit one... I have |.........................| for filter. I would feel safer if i could run one but there's just no room for anything except a t-bolted screen. I might get crafty and make a filter out of element stock and cut to fit. How necessary is a filter? I mean if you have a screen to block grenades and the inlet is completely blocked off for free flowing air would dirt be a huge concern? i don't get any direct air path so i doubt the dirt would be as bad.

nem- do ou plan on running a screen? or re-do the intake? I was getting real crafty last night and thought of taking the glass out of my fog lights to create a cowl. The driver fog light gets a straight path right into the inlet, perfect for a ram-air setup, and i could run a filter also but i would have to sacrifice fog lights and potentially a weird look heh. Could you post a pic of your old intake? I would like to know what restricts these units so much so i can re-think an intake.

Kc- how did you setup yours? Intake wise did you match the ID or just screen it? I would guess some sort of intake, the SC has more room lengthwise.

Here is an old pic of my setup. I actually do have the intercooler in now though. It's a 3 inch pipe, the supercharger inlet is 3.5 inches. I think most Vortech power pipe setups are a half inch over the supercharger inlet size. In other words, I should have a 4 inch intake pipe. I'm not 100% sure I could make anything much larger fit, I had to remove some metal to get the 3 inch pipe to fit.

If you can't fit a good intake I would suggest using AT LEAST a screen. I think in my case, too small or not, I greatly benefit from it being a cold air intake.

On a seperate note, when I had my car on the dyno BEFORE replacing my way to restrictive exhaust, it did not make any more power with the intake off the charger. Now, with 2.5 inch exhaust, it might be more of a restriction than it was.

I had nothing but problems with my MAF sensor until I finally got rid of it! I actually about blew the top off of one. About half of the sealer was broken. But, I tend to doubt that the small leak you have from your sensor is costing you much boost.

KC

My last set up (temporary) was a UniFilter oiled foam element clamped to a big enough pipe, it was certainly enough to choak it.

Today I tried 3" pipe with no filter and it capped boost near 7psi as planned, though i'm not convinced lower rpm boost was as good. I'm going to try a 90mm (ID) pipe with only the section joining to the filter as 3" to see if that works. The 3" pipe was that flexi stuff too so the ribbed walls probably take it closer to 2.75" ID....

If you don't use the air filter and just want the mesh fit right at the supercharger compressor, you may use the HKS air filter mesh for $15 then clamp it on to filter the dirt.

Hey, just thought I'd share something on the MAF sensor.

I had the same problem with the cover popping off. I took the cover off and discovered that it was leaking internally. I fixed a ton of driveability issues after getting rid of the MAF although I don't think I was loosing too much if any boost through it.

Tried to upload a pic but it won't let me.:dunno:

KC