Timing belt on 97 - Does this look original?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

coupekiwi

Hi guys,

This motor I got has supposed to have done 113k. I wanted to do a cambelt and water pump while it's out but looks like it has already been done not long ago and I should not bother? The motor is a recent Japan import and I have a mate coming back to NZ from Washington who could being me back a kit from ebay (they are expensive here).

Also is it safe to assume the motor is a 97 going by the plug leads?

Here are some photos. I would have thought the ink would have worn off with 100k of driving or can anyone tell by markings that the belts not factory?
There are no Toyota markings nor a date.

Thanks
-Simon

Attachments

• DSCF3404.jpg
    DSCF3404.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF3411.jpg
    DSCF3411.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF3412.jpg
    DSCF3412.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It has a gates belt, not a toyota belt so it's been "done" but leads and caps look questionable... I would do it for peace of mind and ease while the motor is out, also looks like an oil leak on the LHS cam cover / cam seal.

and it's not a 97 motor as the 97 LHS coil points strait up not forward.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply,

Yeah I think it probably is safe to do the cambelt now.

Also I have a full head gasket kit so I am going to pull it all to bits anyway to paint the inlet manifolds and rocker covers so everything will get a fresh new gasket.

I doubt leads and caps have been done. I will check them but try and get away with not replacing them as they are expensive and the motor was apparently running perfectly.

Cheers