Time to put another motor in.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

pwd

Just a bit of an update with my obsession.

I have a variety of issues with mine since the supercharger was fitted, like an engine fire causing quite a bit of damage, mainly to the loomand some cosmetic damage.

Since then it has been one gremlin after another, repair the loom as well as possible still in situ, replace sensors, etc. the car seemed to run OK.

Upgraded to bigger injectors more boost and a Wolf V500 standalone. More issues now, car would run nice for a while then would start to break down, like it was only running on 4 cyls, then it would not start, man this thing was giving me some headaches. Back to the workshop, more things changed and the car is now going again.

Two weeks later the gremlins are back, after a lot of taloking it was decided the engine loom must be the culprit. So I source another loom and in Jan I pull the motor out and replace the loom, everything back in and it runs, and appears to run pretty good.

One month later, it is still going, I am happy,. My missus says to me one what is that oil smell and i start checking around the motor and gearbox, cant find anything.
A few days later, after giving it a bit to see how it felt, smoke started coming out from under the car, and it just got worse, I first thought I had blown the rear main, resulting from blowby. Was not the rear main but the rear cam seal on left side of the motor. So i got a low mileage Celsoir motor and thought Easter would be a good time to change everything over.

Easter in Brisbane was wet and as I was doing all the work at a mates place, and his Skyline had half the rear end out of it all the work was done ouside.
The radiator needed a good flush and the top tank was replaced as well.

Finished it all off after work during the week and got the car going Friday night, runs like a clock quiet and smooth. Just have to get a new top pulley for the charger made to reduce the boost from 15 down to about 12 lbs, back to the tuners to finalize the tune, and set up a better catch can set up.
I dont want to blow any more seals.

A couple of pic of the effort.

View attachment 9289

Old motor out.

View attachment 9290

Blew the seal right out.

View attachment 9291

Replacement motor looked pretty clean.

View attachment 9292

Nearly ready.

View attachment 9293

Getting there.

View attachment 9294

In and done.

Wow, now that's perseverence..... If that had been Rod or me, we'd probably be having a UZ BBQ about halfway through.

Still, it proves out the rationale for using stock motors on these projects & just throwing them away when they break and getting another one and plugging it in.

I'm still amazed that you Aussies can boost as high as you do with the stock motors, but there's another testament to the durability of the motor.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to change the motor over just a cam seal? That should have been easy enough to change, or were you thinking that was just an early warning of impending doom, and it was time to change it before something big went bang?

What I should of mentioned John was that I knew that I was down on compression in No5 cyl, and with the extra boost, we think the problem is the compression rings giving me to much pressure in the crankcase.

Lew is getting the old motor and when he pulls the heads off we find out then any damage and how bad.

Replacing the motor was the easiest option for me at the moment.

Neil is now pumping 17.5lbs into his, but I dont have any further details other than that.

Nice work! So do you have any HP numbers on it yet? Just a FYI on the rear cam plugs on the motor. I had some nice little retainers laser cut that hold them in just in case. I hope my catch can set up will save me from all the blow damage but just in case you know.

No numbers yet Scott. Looking at a better catch can set up than the one I had. I think I will end up deleting the PCV altogether.

After talking to a tuner last night he says I should go for a twin 3" exhaust to help it breath a bit better as well. Need to have a think about that.