Throttle Body The Right Way Up??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Alan Whitaker

Hi All.
Is there a right way to fit a throttle body, one way it opens allowing air to enter over the top of the blade and if you turn it upside down it enters over the bottom of the blade. In a turbo engine would this make a difference to the air flow in the plenum and cylinder filling.
I guess both would work but which would work best.

Alan

I very much doubt it would make any difference, ITBs face upwards after all.

The bolts holes won't align if you try and fit the throttle body upside down anyway.

Interesting idea Alan. I think one of our guys did a setup as you describe, because he had twin TB's sort of back to back, feeding the input to a supercharger, and IIRC, the throttle linkage was on the same side, so he must have flipped one of them.

I like those Mustang twin butterfly throttles too; much lower profile than the single big butterfly. I may have to rethink my intake.......

Hi
The way I was looking at it was , one way round the air hugs the bottom of the plenum and the other way it directs it up to the top of the plenum, don't know if this makes any differance to performance.

Alan

Part throttle performance variable would likely be very low UNLESS as suggested it is an ITB set up without any plenum and you would want to direct the air to the top of the runner. With a plenum... once you go WOT it would/should not matter.