Thor Racing V8 Supra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

THOR-Racing

Over the last few months we began a new project. We wanted to stand out from the crowd, rather than just stick a big turbo on and talk about how fast it can go, we decided to explore our options and come up with something thats not often seen or heard of, just to say "it can be done."
With this attitude, the team at Thor Racing decided to implant a 1UZ-FE engine into our MKIV Toyota Supra.

The car is now complete, 5 speed manual with V8 engine.. The first V8 Supra in the UK. We have had magazine features on completion, although it does not end there.. There is plenty more to come, but I wont say any more on that topic yet :ponder:

I just thought I would share this with you - i guess im teasing because I will update pics later on during the day when i get a chance ;)

Regards,
Maz

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen the pic,s in the mag maz very nice i have to say :) top job you guys have done up at Thor-racing. i will be comeing up to you guys at the end of april/may to talk about how you guys can help me :)

Very nice.... Do you guys plan to turbo that car too?
THOR_Thunder_donor.jpg

No offense, but what is the point in dropping in an 1uz-fe in a newer Supra? It shouldn't be that complicated of a swap as the subframe in a Supra is also built to hold a V8 1uz.... It should drop right in...Also, if it is an auto Supra then it should have been a sinch... ECU, motor, bellhousing and not much more....

This swap doesn't make much sense to me...Not much power would be gained from this swap or ease to modify further...Just don't understand the swap??? Just to be different and unique maybe?

If you want to impress now supercharge or turbo the 1uz-fe and get that Supra moving....

Anyway, sorry, I don't mean to be downer with my remarks, it's a nice car and swap anyway....

Not trying to answer for Thor, but one thing I've noticed about the UK and Kiwi Supra owners vs the American ones, is that these guys are all about improving the driveability of their cars instead of how much raw HP they can make with them.

We on the other hand are all about how big we can make our HP numbers, not how well it drives. This is why you see 1000 HP Supras arriving on trailers for dyno shootouts and 1/4 mile track days, because they're virtually undriveable on the street. Put these trailer queens up against a well sorted 600 BHP Supra on a twisty track, and they'll get their 1000 HP *sses handed to them every time. IMHO once the weight/power ratio of a vehicle drops much below 5:1, you can't really drive it anymore; about all you can do is point the d*m thing in one direction and hang on.

A Supra powered by an NA 1UZ has an immediate 30% torque advantage over a 2JZ motor at launch due to his greater displacement, unless the 2JZ owner has a 2 step and can build boost at the stoplight. That in itself is enough to make most Supra owners envious. Shoot, there are people spending $15K just to get the 3.0L Supra motor stroked to 3.4 litres. For that kind of money, it should be a no brainer to put in a full 4.0 litre 1UZ or 4.7 litre 2UZ. IMHO, the market for 2JZ stroker kits is going to disappear once UZ swaps become more common.

Now a TT or SC'd 1UZ in the Supra is another beast altogether. No one knows where we're going to end up with these because the datasets are so limited right now, but boy, it's gonna be a helluva ride........

No doubt we love our racing Cribby and if i had found a JZA80 as cheap as the GT4 i would have done my TTUZ proj with that instead for sure. The modders i hang with most have all built machines to maximise their use....most could be daily drivers (if a little extreme), all can hit the drags, circuit and dyno and perform at the pointy end.

Love the Supra Thor, make sure to keep us posted as you develop it.

:censored:
No offense, but what is the point in dropping in an 1uz-fe in a newer Supra? It shouldn't be that complicated of a swap as the subframe in a Supra is also built to hold a V8 1uz.... It should drop right in...Also, if it is an auto Supra then it should have been a sinch... ECU, motor, bellhousing and not much more....

This swap doesn't make much sense to me...Not much power would be gained from this swap or ease to modify further...Just don't understand the swap??? Just to be different and unique maybe?

If you want to impress now supercharge or turbo the 1uz-fe and get that Supra moving....

Anyway, sorry, I don't mean to be downer with my remarks, it's a nice car and swap anyway....

I can answer that! Its almost pointless to swap the 2JZGE for the 1UZ. The torque is more sure, but unless you turbo it, I think its a waste of $20k! And yes it does just drop in with the rear sump version :) I think they planned for a 1UZ option at one point. Something tells me it will be turbo charged this year ;)

Personally I think its a struggle to fit twins in the Supra and keep it plumbed nicely, much easier for a big single.

Unlike most on this forum whos cars are their own personal project, the V8 Supra is just one of Thors many projects.

Our Supra is used as a vehicle (excuse the pun) to display the engineering expertise that Thor Racing has, in this particular case the adaption of 2 different transmissions to the Lexus V8.. It just happens to be in a Supra to demonstrate this.

The ongoing development on this engine will be apparent in the future, and will include forced induction amongst other things.

Not trying to answer for Thor, but one thing I've noticed about the UK and Kiwi Supra owners vs the American ones, is that these guys are all about improving the driveability of their cars instead of how much raw HP they can make with them.

We on the other hand are all about how big we can make our HP numbers, not how well it drives. This is why you see 1000 HP Supras arriving on trailers for dyno shootouts and 1/4 mile track days, because they're virtually undriveable on the street. Put these trailer queens up against a well sorted 600 BHP Supra on a twisty track, and they'll get their 1000 HP *sses handed to them every time. IMHO once the weight/power ratio of a vehicle drops much below 5:1, you can't really drive it anymore; about all you can do is point the d*m thing in one direction and hang on.

A Supra powered by an NA 1UZ has an immediate 30% torque advantage over a 2JZ motor at launch due to his greater displacement, unless the 2JZ owner has a 2 step and can build boost at the stoplight. That in itself is enough to make most Supra owners envious. Shoot, there are people spending $15K just to get the 3.0L Supra motor stroked to 3.4 litres. For that kind of money, it should be a no brainer to put in a full 4.0 litre 1UZ or 4.7 litre 2UZ. IMHO, the market for 2JZ stroker kits is going to disappear once UZ swaps become more common.

Now a TT or SC'd 1UZ in the Supra is another beast altogether. No one knows where we're going to end up with these because the datasets are so limited right now, but boy, it's gonna be a helluva ride........

Agree with ya, Crib...Driveability is a key factor to having power and torque in a street car...One of my main focuses in my project. After spending all the energy, effort and money to build a TT 1UZ, if the fun to drive it gets lost in the equation, then it's not worth doing...IMHO.

BTW, I will be getting you some stats soon...

Ryan

It is a bigger engine. And with more cylinders, it will have more powerstrokes per revolution for a smoother running engine. I like it.