The SC lexus is bashed by the E55 AMG!!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
thanks for the compliment. but yeah like i said, i imagine the amount of work in the swap would be about the same as the th400 that ive heard some of the others mention. i doubt its the same as what your need for a 1uzfe, but i know titan motorsports sells a bellhousing adapter to mate the 2jzgte to the th400 or powerglide tranny.

The 700R4 is not the trans to be swapping into our cars. It does not deal well with anything heavy, that makes some traction. I know, beacuse its the reason I don't daily drive the Typhoon. 700r4 + 4000 lbs + awd + autox slicks = trans soup. There are guys on www.syty.net on their 3rd, 4th, 5th 700r4.

The gm trans to get is the 4L80E. Its about 80lbs more than the 700r4, but will take a beating when properly built, and still gives you 4 gears.

So tell me Spinall4, do you know what would be a good automatic transmittion to swap in our cars if any at all? Searching and with each knew discovery I get a "it's not going to work". Then I am back to the V160 Supra manual....

Built Th400 w/ GV overdrive unit. It's proven for years now, and there's adapter kits out there for it. $$$$ for the conversion, but it'll hold whatever you toss at it when properly built.

Eric

For a trans to hold your power, try www.importperformancetrans.com. John does good stuff to all kinds of transmissions to include the one behind the 2uzfe in 4.7 tundra's. He modified my valve body to hold some power and I was running 8.20's in the eigth with a 5000 lb truck with no problems. The engine blew....transmission worked fine. Because of the similarities between the flywheels, block bolt patterns, etc between the 1, 2, and 3uz engines, can't think of a reason in the world you couldn't put a Toyota A340E automatic trans behind your 1uz. He may even be able to do stuff with your stock transmission. I'm not positive, but it's something to check out. Let me know how it works out.

By the way....just checked John's site and he does Lexus transmissions also.:approve:

Wayne

So hear is where I am at, the Th400, 700r4, and powerglide's are not a go. They are either too hard to swap, to hard find adapter plates, or to hard to drive.... so rytherwr- I will try your hookup for options thanks for the tip... I like your idea on the Tundra Tranny but that tranny has it's limits as well. I would also assume the gearing is setup for pulling and not racing, but never the less good suggestion and I will look into it..Thanks for all the help fella's.

Cowboy- I still might be in on the V160 swap if all else fails and doesn't make $, ride and swap sense, but I must exhaust all options first...

I know, beacuse its the reason I don't daily drive the Typhoon. 700r4 + 4000 lbs + awd + autox slicks = trans soup.

are you talking about stock or rebuilt 700r4 units? ive done quite a bit of work on a supercharged (12-15 psi) 383ci camaro, that runs on mickey thompson et streets, and its a full weight car (close to 3500lbs). after grenading 3 700r4's with 'performance rebuilds' my buddy opted for an artcarr built 700r4 (guaranteed to 800hp) and he hasnt had another tranny problem in the almost 3 years hes had it. im not saying the 4l80 isnt a good option, the 2 main reasons i recommended the 700r4 are cost as its pretty much the cheapest of the gm 4spds and the other is that i can vouch for the quality of artcarr's 700r4.

of course for the ultimate cool factor the supra 6 speed, would reign supreme. alot of work, but very cool. of course, shifting in traffic sucks.

hnknrob said:
are you talking about stock or rebuilt 700r4 units? ive done quite a bit of work on a supercharged (12-15 psi) 383ci camaro, that runs on mickey thompson et streets, and its a full weight car (close to 3500lbs). after grenading 3 700r4's with 'performance rebuilds' my buddy opted for an artcarr built 700r4 (guaranteed to 800hp) and he hasnt had another tranny problem in the almost 3 years hes had it. im not saying the 4l80 isnt a good option, the 2 main reasons i recommended the 700r4 are cost as its pretty much the cheapest of the gm 4spds and the other is that i can vouch for the quality of artcarr's 700r4.

of course for the ultimate cool factor the supra 6 speed, would reign supreme. alot of work, but very cool. of course, shifting in traffic sucks.
mmmmm. ATF and metal particles. yum
approve.gif

Still no results on the swap search, any other suggestions fellas? The SC stock tranny buildup or the V160 are my only two realistic options at this time. It may be cheaper to swap in a V160 rather then build up the stock sc tranny believe it or not. Still pricing out this crap.....Now I saw a Z1 corvette auto trannies laying around a yard? I still cant get any info on the tundra auto tranny swap, it's hp limitations and compatability for the Iuz.. The Tundra is too new a truck, no one has tried it out yet I don't think.. Not easy to find one either in the junkyards, I checked. I would be inclined to pull the bigger motor out of the truck as well, and the ECU etc... A complete tundra in an SC? Although there is a problem with the top of the larger 4.6L fitting in an SC. Oh the possibilities....

hnknrob said:
One day, I may take video of me daily driving the Supra in traffic with the V160 speed so you guys can see how easy it is. Mid town Orlando, any time of day or night, and it's a joy to drive. : )

Eric

Not a true tiptronic, like a great paddle shifter (some are better than others), but only the BMW, Opel, Chrysler, ect... slushboxes. They're pretty novel. : ) Still, rolling through gears while working the clutch is a little slice of heaven.

Eric

When talking what agearbox can and can't take we should talk torque not HP.

HP doesn't kill transmissions torque does.

If you coupled the A340 to a Formula 1 engine it would handle the horsepower as the engine produces very little torqe at lower revs and not all that much up high.

Couple the A340 to a Caterpillar engine putting out 100hp and it would die almost instantly due to the massive torque available.

Very true. TQ is what kills these auto trannies. A majority of the problem with these auto transmissions happen in the high rpm range and in the 1/2 shift. Most of the time, it's the second gear that takes the hit.

Eric

cowboy: ive driven 6speed supras before, and im not suggesting theyre hard to drive. but im prepared to give up the fun of rowing the boat, so i dont have to do it in rush hour gridlock, for me it gets old fast.

and i agree it is torque that usually does in transmissions. hell torque is what breaks pretty much everything, axles, driveshafts, trannys....

I agree that torque does definetely kill these auto trannies but so can heat.... So Eric it sounds to me like you really enjoy this V160 Supra tranny of yours. The reason being is that you have only good things to say about it in your posts. Curious, do the gears run higher then let's say normal trannies inbetween shifts? That could be the only reason I can think of besides an easy clutch and effortless stick shift that would make the manual V160 a pleasure to drive. So what is the deal and what makes it so great?

The ratio is tight between shifts, so that helps to keep the motor dead in the powerband. A clutch pedal pressure is subjective since there are many aftermarket models out there, but the stock clutch is pretty easy on the legs, as well as any multiplate clutch. I can get out of the car and push the pedal in with my hand with ease.

I've driven 6 speed Camaros and what not, and they were touch to shift. While the V160 doesn't shift like butter as say a 540i does, the feel is very solid. At 8000rpm, when I tap the clutch, and pull on the shifter, it's almost as the shifter flys out of one gear and buries itself into the next. If you have a B&M shifter, it does it with a short throw and noticable "click".

V160s have been down the track with over 1000ft/lbs of Tq recently. No fuss, no problems, with an e.t. of 8.65 on a full weight Supra. The tranny is bulletproof.

Eric