The final word? 1UZ ECU's and tranny sensors

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

coolie

Hi, I'm planning a 1UZ->RA21 swap with manual tranny and have some questions on running 1UZ's without the automatic transmission.

I know for 1UZ transplants with the best bet is a front cut from a Crown Royal Saloon, which has separate ECU's for the computer and transmission. However, with me being in the USA, this may be a lot more expensive than picking up a local junkyard 1UZ.

I've heard lots of rumors all ways here -- people who say the ECU won't run the engine, people who say it doesn't care, people who say it cares but you can fake it with the neutral sensor, people who are concerned that may not work (e.g. with a neutral rev limiter). The only opinion I've seen that sums everything up was a post saying that nobody seems to really know the whole story. :)

So, I'm just wondering if people have specific knowledge or experience with specific models of the engine (or car in which it came) that would suggest some ECUs are more amenable to running the 1UZ without its "other half". Or, if anyone's figured out a reliable way to fake out the ECU. Another newcomer here (GaryM) is looking at a similar swap, but he has to comply with California emissions. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about that.

Aftermarket ECU is mostly out of the question. I'm not doing extreme mods here, and I've heard more good things about the stock ECU and mostly bad things about aftermarket ones on the 1UZ. Thanks all!