T56 Bellhousing Coming Soon!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Dellow and few other companies have bellhousing for the TKO, but not the T56. Unless they came up with something the past few months. Justen, if you can link us to the T56 bellhousing that would be great.

Still waiting. I've passed up some good deals on T56's already. Do we have confirmation that this kit is going to be produced soon? I don't want to buy a T56 until I can get my hands on a kit.

I have been spending all my time working on my car, and have finally had some time to check out and respond to the forum here.

So, OK everyone, here's the deal with the bellousing:

You may or may not know that I am currently putting a Lexus V8 and SC400 drivetrain into a '75 Corolla. This has ended up with me basically putting the Corolla body onto a custom chassis which I am building from scratch. After searching this forum extensively for transmission options, and seeing the spirited dicussions about the Getrag vs. TKO vs. T-56, I decided on the T-56. I was mildly surprised and irritated to find that there was no way to put this trans onto a Lexus V8. So what was all the discussion about? Something that was impossible? Well, you guys sold me on the T-56--so I would have to make something.

I mentioned what I had been doing to David a few weeks ago, he let the cat out of the bag, and here we are.

Anyway, the prototype is already made--I have more than 20 hours into it so far. There are a few changes that need to be made which will require fabricating a new one. (I'll use the original prototype on my car). Once I get the second one made, I wil have to find someone to cast them (I already have a few places that look promising). The cost of getting the casting done will dictate the price, as will the quatity I must cast at one time. Just remember, my purpose in life right now is to get my car on the road--not to sell bellhousings.

Since my car probably won't be finished in the near future, I MAY ask for a volunteer who can get one on the road immediately to test it out, a la Superrunner and his R154 kit. When the time comes I'll let you know.

So the bottom line is that it will be several months, at least, until these are ready for sale. The only factor that will prevent production of these is the cost of casting them, but I am reasonably sure I can find someone. I could fab them up one at a time (which would be quicker and cheaper than casting), but I'm not sure how long a chopped up, welded up bellhousing will hold up under abuse. That's the kind of thing I'll find out on my own car, but not anyone else's.

I have been sitting on my ass in front of this stupid screen for too long now--I'm going out to the garage now to work on my car.

Thanks,
Mark

Guys,

i am seriously considering fitting a T56 behind my 3UZ...whats the status on this so far ?....are there any "off the shelf" solutions yet ?...and where to look for them ?

thx!

I found this site poking about on an Australian site http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Gearbox_Conversions-317.asp.. Mods.. if I posted this and it is against rules please delete this top portion of this message. I am not affiliated with any auto company or parts sales.. etc.

I am really confused by all this talk about this. I think it is mind blowing.

I have grasped the concept of what is going on and it seams like it is fairly straight forward in theory to mount the auto bell housing to a manual trans.

My question (s) are.

How do you get the shaft length to be just right so it mates up to the clutch correctly how do you know what this needs to be as it would depend on the flywheel / clutch assembly you choose right?

Speaking of flywheels
What are folks doing about the flywheel? I have seen some folks weld the ring gear onto a flywheel... which scares me a bit.

I think that centering everything would be fairly easy if you machined everything from the center of the trans out.

Just my two cents. ... I think that if you where serious about converting this say in a GS400 like I have you would just buy a kit to avoid heartach... however to spend 1200 on just a kit seems high..

I would love the satisfaction to draw and have the local high pressure cutter and machine shop bring it too life...

BTW migging to an existing aluminum bell housing scares the life out of me.

Just my two cents. I would love to discuss this further.

BP

I am really confused by all this talk about this. I think it is mind blowing.

How do you get the shaft length to be just right so it mates up to the clutch correctly how do you know what this needs to be as it would depend on the flywheel / clutch assembly you choose right?

I think that centering everything would be fairly easy if you machined everything from the center of the trans out.

Just my two cents. ... I think that if you where serious about converting this say in a GS400 like I have you would just buy a kit to avoid heartach... however to spend 1200 on just a kit seems high..

I would love the satisfaction to draw and have the local high pressure cutter and machine shop bring it too life...

BTW migging to an existing aluminum bell housing scares the life out of me.

BP

The shaft length is determined by the trans. You have to get a clutch/flywheel that will work with the shaft--not the other way around. You also have to be sure the shaft will reach into the crankshaft enough to engage a pilot bearing.

The centering part is not that difficult, and does not even need to be very high-tech. I made a fixture that engaged the dowel pins and crankshaft recess on the motor on one end, and the dowel pins and throw out bearing shaft on the trans on the other. The pins hold the alignment, so the rest of the holes can have a little play (as little as possible).

The welding is not a big deal if you have the right equipment and know what you are doing. But I wouldn't recommend it to the average guy.

If I could afford as GS, I could probably afford a kit (or to pay a dumbass like me to do all the work), but here I am--making my own. I keep telling myself that I get infinite satisfaction from doing all the work myself, but the more time goes by the more I think it would be better to have the money to pay someone else to do it.

Mark