Supra / Audi lsd diff

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lambo

Hi Guys, still planning my 4wd Countach, i have located a supra lsd diff, does anyone have an option on what would happen if it was put in the front of my project, driving the steering wheels, the Audi transaxel did have an option of a lsd or some people fitted quiffe lsd to improve grip, and it was in the front driving the steering wheels, i am not looking for problems , but would the lsd cause the steering to pull left or right as it comes on and off, it did not seem to be a problem for the Audis any thoughts???
Regards
Lambo

Lots of 4x4's run LSD's or even Detroit Lockers up front. You see a lot of air lockers which when engaged are essentially spools=no diff action.

It'll improve traction but can cause understeer. Your right foot controls the understeer.

The Subaru WRX STI has 3 LSDs: front, rear & centre.
Previous models had 50:50 front:rear bias, however the current model has adjustable bias (similar to the rally cars) via a knob next to the gear stick.

Even the humble Minis (eventually) came out with LSD. Faced with a choice between an inside front wheel lifting and spinning (giving NO pull out of a corner), and all drive shifting to the outside wheel, I know I'd rather have LSDs!

AWDMOKE,

I think you need to post up some photo's of your car.

It will blow people away. Most Americans wouldn't know what a Moke was and would be very surprised at one with WRX underpinnings.

It doesn't matter that the car isn't 1UZ powered.

I used to have a '63 Mini, would love to see a Moke with a setup like that.
A moke is a tad bit like the car on Fantasy Island, crossed with a miniature Jeep, and are rare in the states.
Wouldn't your Lambo require the torque bias to be towards the rear, instead of the front?
The Audis I've known have had more power to the rear wheels.

Thats an interesting comment, i would have thought the bias would have been more to the front when the gearbox was in the front of an Audi, as the weight of the engine would have been over the front wheels, info on audi boxs and how they work is like hens teeth, our local newspaper this week had a 2 page article all about the development of the early Audi Quattro boxes and rallying in the early eighties, they have mentioned lots of names of people on the design team ,so maybe a dig on the web may come up with something.does any body here know of a good site with Quattro gearbox info.

Regards
Lambo

Lambo:

if you intend to run the Lambo as a constant 4wd on tarmac you better not
use a Detroit Locker or a normal LSD up front. It has to do with getting the
car around the corners, have a look at the what the front wheel guys use,
they either run open diffs or they use a torsen type LSD.

A locker is only suitable for off road (beach or mud).

Handling is much improved using a LSD on the front diff.
Most performance minis have a LSD (std on some later models) to prevent the inside wheel spinning when it lifts in a corner.

The Subaru WRX Sti has three LSDs: front/rear/centre. The latest model has "dial in" proportioning for front/rear bias like the Mitsubishi Evo Lancer. Std GL Imprezas have open diffs.

Thanks guys, currently what i have is a open diff at the front from my uzz31 donor soarer flipped over , and the audi 016 transaxel in the rear also with a open diff, i believe you can get a torsen or standard lsd for the 016 audi box from england .
The audi has too diffs the one that drives the rear axels and a seperate open centre diff made into the transaxel that used to drive the rear of the original audi but it now goes through two transfer cases and drives the front soarer diff.
The audi also has a centre lock shaft that would lock the front drive to the reardrive , but not much use unless i like driving in the snow or have shares in a tyre company heheh .
I have heard of a number of cars with a lsd up front, and it seems to work ok but a believe a Torson lsd up front is a bit of a hand full, mid corner, i don,t know if this will all work but from what ive read up it should, still trying to work out where most of the torque will go, or will it alll just sit there and go nowhere
Regards
Lambo