Supercharger for Kit for 98+ GS400/430, LS430 & SC430

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
As you guys know i dont have an engineering degree but i just play around with the uzfe engines and this is what i found. Toyota made a supercharger kit for the Tundra (2uzfe). What i found out recently is that the heads configuration are the same as the Tundra. Therefore my assumption would be that the Tundra TRD Supercharger kit would work on the VVTi engines (98+ GS400/430, LS430 & SC430) The head angle and bolt patterns are the same or VERY similar as the Tundra.
brandsportinc_1865_132055529

Therefore, if someone is willing to try it, please let us know. Once again, not an engineer so don't take my words for it, but its a way to venture out to the unknown. Here are few links of interest.
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4076
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4075

Further to David's message, Jordy (Joel) is interested in making SC manifolds for both the early and later motors.

I'm sending him a lower manifold from the later style to chop up & play with to see if he can do something similar to the TRD setup.

There's certainly a market for these things; whenever one comes up on eBay, it's snatched up for nearly as much as they cost new.

Anyone interested in something like this, PM Joel directly: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&userid=658

John

Actually what take so much room under the Tundra hood is the upper and lower intake. However, i am sure this will clear the hood on the GS/LS cars.

Lextreme said:
Actually what take so much room under the Tundra hood is the upper and lower intake. However, i am sure this will clear the hood on the GS/LS cars.

David,

Actually the TB location is raised substantially to accomodate the Eaton 90 SC unit. Look at this picture of the lower stock manifold and you will see the TB location is not much higher than the head flange surface. The top of the stock intake is barely taller than the TB. The stock hood just barely clears the stock intake. I think you would need at least 3" more room if not 5 or 6.

It would be nice though!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Electronics?

David,

As you know, I'm switching from a TRD supercharger to a turbo so I know a little about the SC. SC would probably physically fit, however the electrical portion of the system (piggy-back computer, electrical connectors that go to the stock ECU from the TRD ECU and the programming that goes with it) probably wouldn't match up. Just a thought......:eek:)

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

• Pages1-7 from engcon2.zip
    62.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Pages 7-10 from engcon2-3.zip
    28.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Pages 10-14 from engcon2-4.zip
    59.1 KB · Views: 22
Yeah,

Electrical and others would be another issue. I was trying to encourage the 98+ owner that TRD supercharger might physically fit into the 98+ Lexus. Other issues also need to be address at the same time. You have the first hand experience on it. I can measure the two intake heights. Thanks to you now i can measure both 1uz and 2uz intake heights.

Ok.. Due to high demand. I went out to my carport and take some pictures and I also included a comparasion of the two intake side by side or you call it top to bottom. I also measured the two intakes. Pre 98 1UZFE is about 8.75" and the 2uzfe intake is 9.25" Not much difference but from there we can work toward our goal. The last picture is the head/intake angle.

Wayne,
Can you measure the TRD Tundra supercharger height for me please. If it is under 9.0" then it will clear the hood.

David,

You really need to measure the height of the two manfolds off a datum point on the engine.

I usually use the top of the oil filler on the cam cover as it seems pretty static.

A better datum may be the top of the block where the engine # is. This will give you an accurate figure as due to the different port angles between the two engines there may be some variation in mounting height.

David, not to take anything away from what you've done - we all know you're a 24/7 workaholic with these engines, but Rod's right, it would be very useful to reference all measurements to fixed datum points on the engine.

Just FYI, for stationary industrial engines, the datums used are the C/L of the crankshaft for vertical and left/right horizontal measurements, and the rear face of the flywheel housing (NOT the rear face of the flywheel, because that can obviously change) for fore/aft horizontal measurements. On these engines, the rear face of the flywheel housing would actually be the rear face of the block

If we can determine that the measurement from the datum points for things like deck heights and the O.A. length & width of the family of UZ blocks are the same, this will make mixing & matching parts a whole lot simpler and we won't have to state each time whether the datum used was a 1 or 2 or 3UZ.

Not trying to impose my will here, just offering a suggestion for a known standard that works very well in industry.

John

p.s. It sure would be nice if one of the CAD guru's here would do some engine outline drawings, once we have some accurate measurements. They wouldn't have to be detailed drawings showing every nut & bolt, only outlines, showing the overall dimensions, connection points, etc.

John,

You're right.

We need to establish a set procedure for things like measuring any point on ay engine back to a common standard.

I think we should fall into line withthe industy and use the datum points you've suggested.

A few times I've seen a measurement,or comparison on the Site that I know isn't right but as we don't have a standard measuring system I can't say too much, just point people in the right direction.

Whilst on standardised measurements perhaps we could standardise the unit of measurement. I feel we should use mm as our chosen unit of measurement as it is more accurate and more widely accepted.

At my age I was brough up on inches and converted to mm when I was in my early 20's so it doesn't bother me but I do find converting 2.15" to mm a bit tiresome.

A datum is just a fixed point that never changes, and all measurements are referenced to this point.

Industrial engine builders like Cat and others use datums on their engines, and all measurements are given, from those points. The types of measurements that work really well with this system are overall dimensions, furthest projections on either side, mounting feet, cooling system connections, deck height, mysterious ports on the sides of the motor, etc.

For example the engine mounting holes for the 1UZ motor might be quoted as -250mm from CCL (crank centerline) vertical, and +200mm from CCL for the right and -200mm from CCL for the left, then perhaps +300mm FFWHSG (Face of Flywheel Housing).

Likewise, perhaps the water pump inlet is +200mm CCL vertically, -50mm CCL (to the left) horizontally, and +600mm FFWHSG.

Everything is referenced from standing in back of the motor, looking at the flywheel. Plus distances are above, to the right, or in front of the datum. Negative distances are below, to the left, or in back of the datum. It sounds very complicated initially, but it's really pretty simple and easy to understand once you get going with it. It's ideal for anyone thinking about doing an engine swap.

Someone here had done some detailed measurements of the 1UZ awhile back, and had used this system, or one very similar.

John

David, the 2UZ intake is taller than the 2nd gen 1UZ that I posted. The 1UZ and 3UZ appear to be the same. The top half appears shared with all 3 except the higher powered 1UZ and 3UZ have dual length runners with the 8 center throttle bodies. The bottom half has longer runner length. This can be seen as the length from the plenum area vs the head flange area.

Also, it may be relatively easy to cut adaptor plates to allow the later manifold to bolt to the earlier engine heads. The port angle may not be ideal.

I have thought about this intake on the earlier heads and after looking at the various pictures posted it may be better to modify the ports. The reason for this is the availability of aftermarket camshafts and the higher probability of installing a variable valve activation system.

Height of TRD SC

David,

Height of the TRD S/C is 10 3/4". For purposes of fitment, might be a thought to measure from a reachable point on the frame, cross member, etc. as well as the engine points. That would take into consideration engine position in relation to the frame, hood, etc. Might provide a common denominator to play with....

Wayne