Shim Bank

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
This idea has been kicked around a few times, but now that cams are going to be readilly available it probably takes on more priority.

When changing cams, or just setting the valves you need to change the thickness of the shims used to adjust the valve lash.

These shims are quite expensive ($12.50 Aussie last time I looked) so the idea is we establish a central collection of used shims and trade the shims we hold (and you need) for the shims you hold (that we can re-use) to save the cost of new shims.

I suggest we establish a system whereby anyone with spare shims send them to us and we will hold them until needed by a member.

We then post the member the required shims (assuming we have the shim they want) and they post us theirs AND send a fee for the new shims to lextreme to put toward the running costs of the Site.

I'm happy to hold the Shim Bank and post the shims (at my cost) anywhere in the world.

I'm looking for feedback from you the members as to whether you would use the facility. Assuming you would use it, what's a fair charge for a used shim?

Any alternative sources for shims would also be usefull.

I figure postage (in a padded bag) would cost around $2.50 here in Australia.

I'd happilly absorb the cost to get this up and running.

$2.00 is in the ballpark of what I figured was reasonable.

Think of it at $2.00 you could shim the whole engine for $64.00 which is about 5 new Toyota shims!

mmmmmm... Maybe I can look into machining up new ones in a selection of sizes. Just a wild stab in the dark but wouldn't alot of the standard 1uz use the same shim sizes?? Yes I know there are factory tolarances but they would have to be close to the same??

Whilst valves don't need setting any more often than every 100.000k or so you could end up buying 32 new shims if you put new cams in. Whilst this isn't likely it could cost the best part of $400.00 and you would need to wait for some of the shims to come from Japan.

Peter Scott knows more about the shim situation than me so perhaps Peter can tell us. He's done cams and set the valves after.

Attachments

• LF-X.jpg
    LF-X.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 59
  • LF-S.jpg
    LF-S.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 58
  • LF-C.jpg
    LF-C.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 59
i have a large selection of used shims and have acess to thicker aftermarket shims
hows $ 15.0 per new toy shim , $19.0 per new aftermarket shim ,and used $3.00 per shim ???? plus post $3 TO $4 per order
i have had shim assortments before and have found that you always end up with a big stockpile of shims nobody needs and none of the ones you need.
it's food for thought.

Pete,

Sounds like we have our shim bank already.

Do you want people to send you their spares?

Of course the Site doesn't get anything, but perhaps those saving a bundle will forward some funds?

it would have to be exchange on the used shim assortment or we won't have any left to swap. with the new shims it would be up to the individuals choice as to weather they want to send old shims but it would benifit all if they did .
if anybody has shims they don't need this would help build the bank stocks up.
there is already a trend to have alot of 2.85/2.90/2.95 shims

pete.

So guy's there you have it.

Send Pete you unwanted shims and help your fellow members.

If you need shims talk to Pete.

If you do buy shims on the exchange basis don't forget to send a small donation to Lextreme.

David,

Could we get some sort of notification in the Tech section about the availability of shims?

Attachments

• bug 006.jpg
    bug 006.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 159
  • bug 007.jpg
    bug 007.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 160
  • bug 008.jpg
    bug 008.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 155
  • bug 009.jpg
    bug 009.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 157
  • bug 010.jpg
    bug 010.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 160
Oughta see if any other engines share the same shim set also. See if you can't get other people in on it!

I've got 64 shims (2 engines worth) but I want to see what I need from them before I send any off the Pete.

Once I've sorted my own needs the rest are off to QCA.

Rod,

Have you try to adjust your shim? Oh boy.. I tried today and its very hard. Even with Elliot's tools. Imagine that time 32 pieces....

David,

No not yet.

I have a tame Toyota mechanic who will do that for me.

I'd rather pay him than learn to swear better than I do now!

For a simple valve adjustment, one could simply swap the same shims around in the same engine as some valves would be too loose and others too tight. I did this once in a 4 cyl. Volvo and all of the valves were in spec when I was done without buying any shims.

I've never been inside of my 2UZ, but if the shims ride directly on the cam lobe, I'd be wary of swapping used shims with different wear patterns on a used cam. Volvos seem to be immune to this, maybe Toyotas are too.

I'm all about saving money, though. Maybe this is a non-issue.

2UZFE shims are under the bucket and you need to take out the cams in order to change the shims.

My bad! I thought the cam lobes rode directly on the shim like a Volvo or a VW. In that case, I think a shim bank is a great idea. Luckily, this design holds an adjustment for a long time if not forever.