Sc500

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MitchP

After much thought on what to do with my SC400 engine-wise, I have decided to pull the trigger on a 1GZ-FE to make an SC500.

Jimmy at JPR Motor Inc. recently had a 1GZ in stock but by the time I decided to go for it, he had sold it about week earlier. (I bought a RX7 Turbo II swap a few years ago from him and he has always been a good source for quality JDM engine/trans parts) Thankfully, Jimmy was in Japan last week and found one for me some 3 hours north of Tokyo. This one is coming with the trans, wiring harness and the two ECU's and should be here mid April.

Initial plans plans are to swap it in bone stock with the auto trans and try to keep the stock intake manifold setup. It appears to be dual mode (intake flapper valve) and I have seen these good for 30-35 ft-lbs. on IS300 2JZ VVTi's. I do not mind getting a custom hood made but we will see how much room there actually is to determine which way I go on it.

Engine management wise, I'll be using my existing AEM Series 2 EMS and a custom harness which will allow me to run the engine sequentially for fuel and wastespark for ignition. (it looks like it has two sets of the 2JZ VVTi coils and igniters so is wastespark from the factory) I will also be controlling the trans through the AEM and will be retaining the DBW throttles using a custom AEM DBW controller. (I designed the DBW controller on AEM's STi plug and play ECU's when I still worked there and had the forethought to design the controller for use with 2 throttles, glad I did that now) And, of course, controlling the VVTi.

Later on, Stage 2 will be the installation of a Getrag 6 speed, Stage 3 will be adding a pair 3076R's. (most likely) Stage 4 will be a fully built motor.

Overall, I can't wait to hear how this thing is gonna sound.

I just measured from the top of manifolds to the alloy drain pan, approx 650mm, (add another 100mm for steel sump pan).
When you dry sump it the 650mm may be reduced a little (20mm?)

Sounds like you can handle the DBW, I got one of these;

Supragarage188.jpg

Micro sw on the top as idle pos, sw on bottom for WOT (not sure if it's only for the auto box) and pos sensor appears double pole.

Yes, there is just something about V12 engines.

I've never owned a car with one so that's one of the big reasons I am doing this.

Secondly, having 12 connecting rods and pistons means the stress on the engine is spread over more parts so it should be more reliable overall at the same power level compared to a 1JZ/2JZ/1UZ. On the flip side though, I have to get many more injectors, valves (48 of them!) or any other parts that I am looking to replace.

I don't know if my engine is coming with a pedal or not but I plan on installing a pedal/cable/sensor setup from a later model SC just because it will bolt in.

Yes, there is just something about V12 engines.

I've never owned a car with one so that's one of the big reasons I am doing this.

Secondly, having 12 connecting rods and pistons means the stress on the engine is spread over more parts so it should be more reliable overall at the same power level compared to a 1JZ/2JZ/1UZ. On the flip side though, I have to get many more injectors, valves (48 of them!) or any other parts that I am looking to replace.

I don't know if my engine is coming with a pedal or not but I plan on installing a pedal/cable/sensor setup from a later model SC just because it will bolt in.

And the cost is at least 12/8 = 1.5 times the cost of building up a V8!

I did that search, that v12 is awesome, i think thats cool that, thats the only v12 toyota has ever made. how much crank hp does that have stock.

Stock they are rated at 280PS or so, which I am hoping may be a little underrated as it's right at the max value most JP manufacturers will publish.

Also, looks like I'm going to have to make a custom oil pan and sump setup so it will clear my cross member as the SC's are mid/rear sump and this engine is front sump. The steering rack is in front of the crossmember so there's no good way about it other than a custom pan. No biggie, just more work. Also, it should allow me to make a real low profile one so I can hopefully drop the engine enough to allow the intakes to clear the hood.

If the intakes will not clear the hood by a long shot, I will run hoodless just for dyno testing to get baseline with all stock intake parts just to see what I would be giving up by going with a custom intake. ITB's are out of the question.

-MP

With your new sump pan you will need an external belt driven oil pump, the stock pump is submerged in the front of the pan and chain driven off the crank.

Why are ITB's out of the question, what about horizontal? that's my aim, operated by the DBW servos.

These intakes cut the manifold height by 4"
If you look at the thermostat housing at the front, the boss that the cap screws into is now 3/4" shorter so I can shut the hood.
The oil filler cap lines up with hood structure so the alloy housing is being shortened 1" (that will look better too)
Even the dip stick would need to clear the hood, that's now 4" shorter to clear the intakes.

Supragarage165.jpg

Yea, dry sump may have to happen if there's no room for the stock oil pump. Really wanted to avoid that though because of the plumbing, moving accessories around and finding a spot for an oil tank. But on the other hand, should be able to drop it much lower in the chassis and make a bit more power pulling a good vacuum on the crank case.

I mistyped, ITB's are NOT out of the question. Actually thinking about BMW S54 (E46 M3) ones as they are pretty short and are DBW controlled.

Thanks for all your input Crambo.

Mitch, my son has a UZZ32 Soarer, I bought a second 1GZ that has a BHG and was stripped of all but the intake manifolds, it was a cheap way to have heads, cams, crank, block on hand spares.

I pondered building it up for the Soarer and spoke with a mechanic in Sydney that is doing a GZ swap for a client, into an A80 Supra, they did an alloy pan and a 3 stage pump, unfortunately the build is on hold.
I asked if the stock pump could stay in the bowl as it is in the very front but he said no way.

Assuming you will ditch the hyd. cooling fan pump, maybe your oil pump could go there. In the far RHS of the pic where the pulley is missing is the fan pump.

Supragarage070.jpg

Depending how much room up front there will be, considered keeping hydro fan and pump but guessing the engine will be in way anywho so I'll do some electric pusher ones, or pullers if there is room. Would make room for dry sump pump though.

We'll see what happens when I get the engine, dig into it, and get it hangin in the car before I make any hard choices. I've worked on some weird swaps before and can almost aways keep the stock oil pump although it may have a very funky pan and pickup tube setup. I am gonna remove the pan (steel and Al parts) and hang the engine in the car with the pump still on and hopefully it will be far enough forward to clear the steering rack. The rack could be moved a little too, done that before.

I find that I can do things that other people say are not possible so we will see that mechanic is correct about not being able to keep the stock oil pump. I am guessing that the engine is gonna be mounted pretty far forward so it might not be that bad.

We will see! That's half the fun, figuring this stuff out!

Thanks for your input and the pictures.

-MP

I've got an RB25DET in an S13 that has about a 1/4" (6mm) clearance in many places. As long as the mounts are stiff enough, it's no prob. Service on that car is tricky though, motor/trans has to come out to get any access to the oil pan, steering rack out, bell housing bolts etc... Got pulling the motor/trans to a science now.

Mitch, you are welcome on the pics, I hope my posts are not viewed as a hijack.
A guy in New Zealand has started a 1GZ into early Celica, fortunately a front sumped car.
His plan is stock intakes, twin turbo, stock hood, the first move was to cut the firewall and push the engine into the cabin 6".

At first I wanted to keep the acoustic intake control but decided reducing the runners should give improved response and still have enough low rpm torque for a 2900lbs car.

The pic shows the lower manifold, if the injectors/fuel rails were moved, TB's could fit down there but I might take the easy way and put 90deg bends on top the lower manifold and lay out the TB's horizontal.

Supragarage183.jpg

No, I don't see it has a hijack, you haven't tried to sell insurance or the latest weight loss fad, it's all V12 so it's all good.

I have done too many 2JZ VVTi's to not at least try to keep the intakes, but we will see.

Ah, horizontal like a 4 sidedraft Weber intake setup for a SBC. That would be cool. I am personally a fan of the 12 intake tubes in the valley shooting straight up, a la old Ferrari's.

I wish the engine was here already, I'm getting antsy to get to work. Maybe what I should do in the mean time is start to really abuse the short timer 1UZ that's in there. Will a stock 1UZ rev to 9K for long??? 200 shot of nitrous???

Or just maybe look at pictures you posted...