SC400 -> W58 Conversion - Work Log

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
What style fingers are on that pressure plate?
If they are straight (like most are), the bearing on the howe unit is not suitable as its made for curved fingers.
The bearing should be a cone or slanted shape.

The howe bearing will work, but there is a good chance itll fail prematurely.

If you look in the picture in post #11 you can see that the bearing is a rounded nose bearing. It is the same bearing that Im running on mine and it also happenes to be an actual toyota bearing. I dont remember what model Toyota, but I do know that the part number of the bearing that I have and matt has crosses into a OEM Toyota number. It is suited for a flat finger diaphram pressure plate.

yes the first baring pic was right after he receved the howe in the mail then 2nd pic is after he 'refreshed' it

the first baring had to go anyhow, it was done, it barly turned.

This is just me expressing an opinion here, but

a) JZZ30 was R154
b) 1JZ puts out less shockloading torque than a 1UZ
c) A 4-puck clutch to me is a bit more than 'slightly upgraded' over a standard full face organic
d) maybe somewhere I have made the assumption it was getting boosted, I'd say I got confused with another car.

a) JZZ30 was R154

US spec JZZ30s AKA SC300s come with a w85 exacly like the one matt has

b) 1JZ puts out less shockloading torque than a 1UZ

Shockloading? all in how you drive, matt babys his car, the amount of tourque the motor makes isnt a huge amount more then the 2jz. 30ft/lbs or so

c) A 4-puck clutch to me is a bit more than 'slightly upgraded' over a standard full face organic

That is a accaully a very mild Clutch, alot more mild then what is in my car, and ive done numrous clutch drops, tristy road runs ect, and my tranmssion is holding up, not to mention mine is a w58 generation older then matts

d) maybe somewhere I have made the assumption it was getting boosted, I'd say I got confused with another car.

yes the car will eventually get a turbo, but thats quite a ways down the road.

I really find it funny how people put turbo kits on sc300s and is300s and na supras with come stock with W58s and make 500-600hp (and about the same tq)to the wheels and beats the **** out of them and and no one says omg your gunna blow up the transmission, but as soon as someone puts a w58 onto a 250hp 1uz everyone is all bent out of shape about it.

My comment about the W58 destruction has nothing to do with the 1UZ alone, its more to do with the combination of the torque delivery of the 1UZ combined with the extra weight of a Soarer with large rear tyres combined with a clutch that doesn't do a great deal of shock absorbing.

Obviously driving style plays more of a part than anything else.

extra weight over what? torque delivery how so? and the clutch compared to what? what are you comparing all of this to? Stock? weight wise the car will be lighter then stock by a bit, but Of corse there are more stresses, welcome to modifying, but what matt doing is on the very very low end of the scale of stressing the parts, yet your wording is makeing it sound like he's bolting a T50 to a 15L Caterpillar

Stop makeing blank statments, this starts really bad internet misconceptons.

My comment about the W58 destruction has nothing to do with the 1UZ alone, its more to do with the combination of the torque delivery of the 1UZ combined with the extra weight of a Soarer with large rear tyres combined with a clutch that doesn't do a great deal of shock absorbing.

Obviously driving style plays more of a part than anything else.

I dont understand the difference between the SC400 with a W58 and a 4 puck DF clutch vs and SC300 with a W58 (NA-T) with a 4 puck clutch...

All in how you drive. The clutch should be pretty decent in shock absorbing since it is sprung, unlike Jake's which is a solid hub clutch.... hes been driving it hard since day one of last year.

Which begs the question... if you baby your car, why go with a 4-puck clutch, etc in the first place??
A full plate organic or similar will be much easier to drive.

Im with Peewee, if you drive the car hard (track days, drags, drift, motorkhanas, etc) youll break the W58 pretty quickly in a heavy car with lots of traction.

So lets see some evidence.

and please dont suggest the R154 they are junk and cost 4 times what a w58 costs. v160 maybe? you gunna buy him one?

My 90 supra has spent many track days on Sebring international raceway with a 4puck and a turbo 7m making over 400lb/ft tq. through a W58 and its just as heavy as the SC400 (maybe heavier). The trans currently is holding up very well to the 1UZ and it has 375,XXX miles on it.

Yes, there are stronger units out there, and yet, everything has its limits but the W58 is far stronger then most give it credit for and this has been proven (more then once too)....