running on 4...newbie

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

zen

hi there..

let me introduce myself..live in england,heavily into landrovers,never even heard of the 1uz fe a month ago..building a 1972 range rover and was going to use a rover 3.5l v8, but it has to be quicker than my diesel rangie, now that runs an sd33, turboed, propane injected,intercooled etc and is quicker than the 3,9l v8 + it gives 40mpg if i try hard...now i was just going to turbo the rover v8 but it would give me only 12mpg at best..what to do?

then i heard about this super engine.the 1uz..next day i have a complete ls400,taxed and moted (ministry test) and only £180..susposedly a1 engine etc..(the car itself is imaculate)i didnt get the chance to test it...

now i am on a time limit to complete this project as the workshop am using is due to be levelled to make way for the 2012 olmpics in a month,and i was going to remove engine asap ,make adapter plate flywheel etc..(its mating to the landrover lt95 manual gearbox)

but to my horror i stated it up yesterday to discover its ill!! misses like a ****er and oil over full and stinking of fuel!!!!i then searched this entire forum,read everything and have come to the conclusion its running on 4 cylinders,infact no spark from dizzy supplying no 7..pulled codes gave 21 and 41..reset ecu retried no more codes,but still missfire...can understand 21 (lamda senser ) but why 41 (throttle postion senser???) and oil with fuel in could be just that PO has been running it around on 4 for a while!!(prat!)

so...my guess is coil..rotor arm..dizzy..eht lead from coil..ecu...

can i replace coil with any 12v coil to test or will it hurt ecu transistors??can i just insert spark plug on coil eht lead to test coil or will ecuu complain/know its not connected (cant see any problem myself,but as stated have b***** all experience with these motors..

re coil,is there other than lexus one that will fit??

is there something i may have overlooked??

thanks

Swap the ignitors over first, to make sure one of the ignitors hasn't failed.
Then if both ignitors are good, swap the coils over.
If both coils are good, try the coil leads.

It could also be one of the dizzy caps or rotors, but these are less likely than the above.

Process of elimination is the key

ok will do.right then search your database to locate igniter postion..

ok i have looked in tecky bit,but electrical component dia seems to be for a 6 cylinder car.(sc300).(4 cylinder),anyway nothing like my ls400 1991 4 door..so may i ask the placement of igniters please..(proberly see them if car was infront of me,but its at the yard,and i wont get to see it untill tomorrow night (in the dark)..and just in case,does anyone know of an alternative to the toyota coil just in case its that..(cos they cost ££££££££££££ here)

thanks

well its the coil..the one in the awkward place to get.(right hand side when looking at engine from front).cant even see how to remove it!!

are there any alternatives to the toyota one??or does it appear on any other toyota car??(if so will be cheaper to buy from breakers..

thanks

thanks for the offer..found one £25 2nd hand breakers...(would be £5 if it was a ford coil...but lexus.....)

3sg celiaca and mr2s have sme coil and even ignitors are simoilar
u just need 2 of them
thats how i got afew freebies

i had a similar problem tested coils and ignitors found they were fine it was crook ht leads genuine toyota ones were about 500$ from memory found eagle made the same leads for 200ish i used toyota 4a series ignitors