Removing Starter

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Hey Gang,

I am installation the new injectors and i would like to change my starter too. I think my old starter is taking too many amps to crank. Anyway, the two bolts holding the starter to the block is from outside to inside. The two 14mm is from the tranny screw toward the engine. I can not get to it from the front. Looks like the engine need to come out in order to take out the two 14 mm bolts.

Anyone take out the starter in any other method? Need help fast.

starter removal

Sorry David, the bolts go from the bellhousing side to the front of the engine, there is no way to remove from the front, the bolts have a long head on them, i had to replace one bolt with a normal head to fit may adapter plate.
I heard the other day the starter draws about 2000w, which is a lot more than other cars,the only fault i have heard is that the front bearing glues it's self to the shaft and then spins in the housing, i was told by a guy in nz to dissassemble the starter, replace the bearings and to locktight the front bearing into the housing, before using the engine, he also said that the alternator bearings should also be replaced, the engine importers degrease the motors for sale and fill the alternator bearings with water and then let them sit around rusting, hope this helps.
Regards
Lambo

If that is the case... its a STUPID design. In another word, I have to remove my engine in order to place the starter? That sucks. Perhaps i can drill into the bolts from the front and place it with two bolts with nuts from front to rear. Or i can change part of the starter from the front. Man... this sucks bad....

starter remove

Hey David ,
Cancel the drill bits, Change of plan, just had a close look at engine with no gearbox and had a look at bare gearbox/ bellhousing, when the engine and gearbox fit together the starter bolts would be accessible from the back of the engine the bolts are just each side of the small bump made into the bellhousing that the starter pinion protrudes into, and each side of the starter bolts are the top 2 bellhousing bolts, i have fitted a open spanner from the top and it should be possiable to undo the two starter bolts,
its a tight fit, it could be made easier by removing the bonnet and lying on the engine etc
Regards Lambo

toyota book time too r&r starter 5.5 hours
leave the upper inlet on the lower inlet manifold , only remove the lower manifold bolts to the head lift it up as a unit enough to get the starter out through the front , this also allows you to get at the starter bolts with greater ease.
iv'e seen this type of starter in alot of different cars
never seen a spun bearing ?????
not saying that it can't happen..

I think its possible with a special tool. I am not sure the name of the tool. I think the type wrench where it adapter with a socket driver would work. I think its called Open End Crowfoot Wrench. However, even with special tool, it will be very tight and i am not sure if the tool is too long or too short to reach the two bolts. They are at slightly different heights too.

Right now, i have everything removed, upper and lower intake along with injectors. Took me about 45 minutes to remove those. I got stuck with the starter bolts. Otherwise, i could of finish the whole project (starter and injectors) in less than 2 hours with manual tools.

The two pictures below are the tools. The best would be the last picture. Snap On have the Ratcheting crowfoot. That should be perfect.

the easiest way to remove the starter is from the top... this is by removing the whole intake manifold by just unbolting the lower runners from the head and by doing this so you will have access to the starter and it will be held by two long bolts for the starter and a couple of small bolts for the wiring harness for the starter... it is a PITA but ia pays to good as they said before 5.5 hrs to R & R a starter... plus another 300 for the starter alone

BTW... it is a east 2 hours for a novice craftsman to R & R a starter... i got it down to 1 hour on the landcruser and seqouia

Final got the starter replaced. I beside the upper and lower intake. I also have to remove the bridge cast pipe. The pipe is the bridge between the left and the right head. I also have to remove part of the injectors harness. I used a open spanner or wrench to loose it up first and i cut up a ratcheting wrench to about 1.5" handle in order to have room to turn.

It took me almost 45 minutes just to take the two bolts out and once i used my modifiec wrench, too me 5 minutes to put the two long starter bolts back. The key for the removal of the start would need a special tool. Snap On have a Ratcheting Crowfoot wrench and it will do the job. The picture above. Part number is BFCRM14 and its only $16 USD and if you have extra cash, you should also get a 14 mm racheting wrench with flexiable head. Worth the money.... Here is an article on it http://www.lextreme.com/starter.html

On the LS,we loosen the trans mount to tilt the engine downwards a bit. Then use a really long extension (actually several hehe) and a swivel socket...this is if you have access to a lift of course.

SUVs are a little easier,there's just enough room to loosen the bolts from within the engine bay,no need to tilt the engine etc.