rear mount turbo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

do92sc400

I going to try to build a low boost rear mount turbo, very basic, hoping to make about 5-7 psi. What would be a good choice for a turbo size, I know the t3/t4 is what a lot of poeple use for regular apps. Would a single or twin set up be better. Keep in mind that I would probably have to end up using the spare tire well to provide clearence, which is find. Belive me, I know it isnt that easy so I will be asking alot of questions in the future. Any and all info will help.

The website originally gave me the motivation to build this setup. I just think it sucks that there is no set up fot the sc400. And I know there is hardly any info on this. I agree with sts That it would be simpler to mount a turbo in the rear of a car. So that is why I am asking you guys since there is a lot of experience to take advantage of.

Why are you sold on doing a rear mount turbo? If it's low cost, personally I think that's a false illusion. I'd bet that anyone here who has turbo'd one of these 1UZ motors will say the intake & exhaust piping mods took a lot more time & $$$ than they anticipated. Plus, with a rear mount turbo, there are going to be some "hidden" costs, like the scavenge pump you'll probably need since the turbo won't have enough height to use a gravity oil drain. Then you'll need a wastegate, BOV, boost controller, etc.

For only 5-6 psi of boost, I'd buy a Richwood intake manifold and a cheapie M90 Eaton supercharger, slap it on in a weekend and have a ball boosting up to that figure. No wastegate, BOV or boost controller needed, and you wouldn't have to touch your exhaust piping. You'd only have to make a few mods on your intake side. This setup is just about PnP.

The initial cost of a Richwood/M62 setup is going to look higher than a single cheap turbo, but there won't be the hidden costs that'll eat you alive. No WG, BOV or boost controller needed, either.....

With any turbo setup, you're going to have to modify both the intake and the exhaust sides of your motor, plus plumb in the WG, BOV, etc.

To move lots of air into these motors, and make really big power, I think turbo's are the way to go, but for only 5-6 psi of boost, I think a turbo would be more trouble than it's worth.

Just my 2c.

You are correct about low boost. But I also should of disclosed that I would want the option of raising boost to higher levels (12psi or higher)with the same application in the future, funds permitting of coarse. From what I have research it seems that a lot of people preffer a turbo over supercharging.
Also I would like to have the experience of learning how to build this and perhaps use it in a different project where a supercharger would be applicable.

Gotta agree with John for the same reasoning. A "good", well engineered turbo system will do wonders, but the costs will eat you up in a hurry...my wallet's tongue is STILL hanging out! :eek:)

Wayne

I live up in Palmdale, but I go to LA lot. I have talked to a couple of guys who had build there own system, one guy came into my old work (about two years ago) and showed me his neon he had built a turbo set up for, ran about 5lbs. Total cost was under a grand. It was very basic mainly used and junkyard crap, but in worked. Seen the car run a couple of times in a span of six months and had no problems except for busted axels. I even saw him beat a new stock mustang.
This guy at http://www.junkyardturbos.com/remote_mount.html claims he did a build up that cost him a supposed $1000. He even sells a book giving the details on how to build your own set up.
Now, I'm skeptical to that web site, but seeing my then-buddies neon's performance and seeing how crappy his set up was, I feel that it can be done cheap. Searching around for good prices would be the ticket. Even Lextreme once offered to do a rear mount for cheap.
The thing I would like to know is what parts would you guys with experience recommened. I trust the members in this club more tham I would any other site.

I'm not trying to sell superchargers, and both my cars are turbocharged Supras (although one will be getting a supercharged 1UZ soon), but once you've got the Richwood manifold in place and a cheap M90 on it, you can easily upgrade to a bigger supercharger with more boost, like a Whipple, by merely changing the top plate.

I'd take a tip from the Aussies; they've been fooling with these 1UZ motors longer than we have in the US, and most of these guys who did their projects on a budget went with superchargers.

Don't underestimate those fabrication costs with a turbo. You're going to have to make nearly everything, and probably at least three times to get it right.......

At any rate, good luck and it'll be an interesting project to follow.

problem is scavenge pump. ideal will be use same as sts. someone know that that pump is? any link? it looks cheap.

Guys,

What is the biggest problem with rear or low mount turbo setup? Its the oil system. I suggest u should get an independant oil system. Meaning the following parts"

* Oil pump (Tilton and not shur-flow)
* Oil cooler
* Oil filter
* 3" x12" oil tank
* Fittings
* Hoses

This is an independent oil sytem that can will work otherwise you will have massive smoke from your turbo with prolong high rpm driving. Remember the electric oil pump is constant at 1-2 gal per hour but your oil inlet is rpm dependant. At idle and low rpm is great but prolong high rpm will be the problem.

lex
but sts company same-how solve that problem. they white pump with brass? low parts looks really cheap and they sell a lot that kits so they must working. I read your problems with that pump in ls400 and two small garetts after cats years ago and I think you overlook something. That can not should be so difficult. After all see at sts homepage. they system looks simple and I am sure it is not rpm based.
Jerry

Lets think about it. What happen if the oil from the engine is flowing more then the oil pump capacity? If 1-2 gal per minute is the Tilton differential capacity. Lets say 5,000 rpm would produce 6 gallong per minute. Where would the 4 gallons of oil go?

This is the system I am thinking of:

oil.bmp

I think that if you intend on having your engine at high rpm a lot of the time then you could be in trouble with oil build up in the turbo, I don't think for street use you will see much problem.

The engine can create a higher flow than the oil pump can produce? At idle the engine produces 5psi or more, and at 3,000 rpm or higher it creates 43 to 85 psi... The oil pump creates the flow, engine can not. 43-85psi is more than enough for any turbo, i dont care if your line is 75 ft long, pressure is pressure is prssure...

Back to the original question, what would be a good size turbo to install. I was surfing the net and I saw how they removed both mufflers off a corvette, and put two smaller turbos in place. Could this be done as well with the sc400? Would a twin-turbo set up be good or should I just stick to a single turbo placed before the mufflers be a better idea.

Two small T3's or larger T28's... .63 A.R but tighter exhaust trim.. Mitsi turbo's off WRX?? Almost any std 2Ltr turbo X's two....SR20 turbo etc off Nissan....Or Toyota ???