radiator hose(s) on custom radiator swollen and leaking

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Muzza_NZ

Hi all,
I have a curious problem with a couple of radiator hoses on the custom radiator on my 1UZ.

As you can see in the first pic, a short length of swollen hose that was leaking out of both ends - was fine one day, leaking the next. The hose clamps appear to have slipped a tooth - maybe I've over tightened them (about a year ago though) - see second pic - the leak was definitely out of the inside of the hose and not between the layers of rubber.

I've only been driving around town lately and it's quite a few months since I've done a 100km+ trip.

The ambient temperature has been pretty cold (for here anyway) with a -2 deg C outside the other night - the ute is always in the garage though.

Am I being paranoid, thinking that possibly I've got a blown head gasket and the system is over pressurising? the overflow bottle fills slightly (as always) when hot, but has never (to my knowledge) overflowed. Is my radiator cap too higher relief pressure? (I'm using a 21-25 pound cap and have been for over a year)

Now the strange part, I fixed the two hose clamps and section of hose, and the next day (today) I find that another hose on the outlet of the radiator is leaking.... damn it.... so maybe I'm not paranoid, or maybe my radiator cap relief has decided to jam closed (looks ok).... I don't know

Cheers in advance for your help team,

Muzz

21-25 pound is a fair bit of pressure.I dont know what they run from factory but would of thought it is more like 13-16 pound would be more like it.Commys/falcons run 20 pound and thats heaps.Those hose clamps,the only thing they have going for them is they are part stainless.We used to use those at work and they gave us nothing but dramas.They cut hoses screw apart when you losen them off and they also bend in the slots.We ended up using a norma brand with rolled edges with a quick squirt o oil heaps better so you can really tighten em up!

Hi 1uzvl,
good point on the hose clamps, I've replaced the other leaking one and it all seems fine again... I guess we'll see. I'll get another cap tonight and see how it goes.

Incidentally for those that are reading this post, what cap relief pressures are you using?

Muzz

Ill be using a 15 pound cap more than likley.should be plenty.
Just as another point, norma make clamps the same as the one pictured as i just found out on a vehicle im working on now.The ones im talking about are plain steel clamps made by norma but with out the slots cut through em.

Thanks guys, so somewhere in the range of 12 - 15 should be fine then - I guess I should have queried the radiator guy and the cap he supplied...

1uzvl, I've only seen the tridon brand clamps (at supercheap and REPCO anyway) but will have a look at some of the better auto parts dealers this afternoon.

thanks again,

Muzz