Project Thread Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

scotturnot

Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8
OK, finally the answer to the long awaited question. What are the specifics of the new engine for my SC400. I figured I would start a new thread and link it from the old one just to not get it lost in the prior supercharger build. If you don’t like to read then this lengthy post is not for you,. I will get pictures as the thread progresses.

Let’s start with the Motor; David, here at Lextreme hooked me a great deal on a built 4.7 liter engine for the starting point of the build. Here were the specifications of the motor when I bought it. Please note, me being me I couldn’t just leave it as it was so change is in order.

Block- The block is a modified 2uzfe iron block, converted from 2 bolt main to 4 bolt main by using 1uzfe 6 bolt main caps.

Crank- Stock 1UZFE forged steel crank

Mains- Stock 1UZFE 6 bolt mains but only 4 used (no side bolts) and 2UZFE ARP Main Studs

Bearings- Clevite 77 H series performance rod bearing, Main, and Thrust bearings from Federal Mogul Bearings.

Rods- Modified Chevy 5.7 H-Beam Rods Forged H-Beam Rods with ARP L19 bolts

Pistons- Custom Ross Forged Pistons with Chevy rods pin size 8.8:1 compression

Pins- Chevy Race piston pins

Rings- chrome molly rings

Heads- Moderately Ported 1UZFE heads

Valves- Lextreme stainless steel oversize valves

Springs- Lextreme Performance Valve springs

Cams- Lextreme Stage II Cams

Studs & Bolts- Custom ARP 7/16"studs are used on the heads along with ARP Rod bolts

Gaskets- Cometic Multi-Layer Steel Gaskets

Just as this motor sat it is a serious build but not quite what I wanted. My first major focus was on the cams. These cams are great cams that boast 274 duration and 370 lift. I was really concerned about overlap of the valve opening between the intake and exhaust (this is a personal hang up with me). Really the cams would probally be great as they were but I cant leave well enough alone. What can happen with excessive overlap is boost will be pump out the exhaust when it occurs. More as a matter of doing things how I want them and not redoing them later I decided to start my research on cams.

What I found is this overlap is something you just can’t compensate for. The intake and exhaust cam are essentially married by the gears between them so you can alter the timing between them. That being said a custom grind is in order.

The cams in the motor as with pretty much all cams for this motor available in the US are what they call “Re-grinds”. Re-grinds are basically a stock cam shaft that is welded up with hard facing rod and then re ground to a new lift and duration. One side effect of this process is the base circle diameter of the camshaft will become undersized which must be compensated for in the valve train. The other down side to this process is the lack of the ability to modify the cams timing thus reducing overlap. (trust me guy’s I am far from a expert in camshaft’s, I know just enough to be dangerous).

All this pretty much leaves me no option but to get New custom ground camshafts from a manufacturer that has the ability to cast new billet blanks. The only one I know of is Kelford Cams in New Zealand. I got in touch with Kevin at Kelford and they went to work for me. They pulled all of my engine data, boost goals ect. and came back with a cam that fit the build. They really went the extra mile to work with me through all the revisions along the way.

So with the camshafts settled I’m good, right? Wrong! The motor was set up for the smaller base circle of the re-grinds so stock base circle cams won’t drop in. I must admit the motor was set up right in the valve train; David actually had longer valves installed to take up the extra .050” gap and then used stock buckets and shims. Nice way to do it but it really makes it hard for me. Next option, I could have Kelford grind the new cams to the smaller base circle, this sounds good on the surface but has its drawbacks. According to Kelford they don’t like that option due to the climb angle they have to make it to do the cams like that so we are back to step one.

I then spent a considerable amount of time studying John Cribs build here on Lextreme. He has done a massive amount of research and investigating trying to improve the 1uz’s valve train. I really like John’s solution of using a shim under bucket design. The 1uz has a shim on top of bucket design stock that works well but not at high RPM’s with high lift cams. John’s solution was to use a Prius lifter and an aftermarket retainer that accepts shims and shim under the bucket. So here are 3 solutions.

1. Stock 1uz buckets and shims (wont work on mine, I don’t have enough gap to fit)

2. Prius Buckets with a aftermarket retainer and shims under them. ( this also wont work due to some of my shims required would need to be as thin as .030”)

3. Use stock Prius lifters and shim by using their variable thicknesses. This would be the ultimate high RPM valve train due to no shims(unfortunately, the prius lifters alone cant quite make up the gap)

So what to do? I felt like I was going to have to buy a completely new set of oversized stainless valves with a new custom length stem to fix it. Then, all the sudden it came to me, What if I slightly oversized the base circle of the Cams to take up that extra .018” gap that the Prius lifters cant fill? I contacted Kevin at Kelford to see what the odds would be of a slightly oversized base circle, SCORE! They said no problem! So option 3 appears a go. At this point I am awaiting my new cams and springs, I will keep you posted if it all works out. Additionally I have ordered a set of adjustable cam sprockets from Andrew At Richwood Automotive to allow me to degree the cams in the motor, Sweeeet!

Next on the motor’s agenda is ignition. The factory distributor/coils are barley satisfactory for 15lbs+ boost so I decided to put some focus on this. I considered a set of Nology wires and was nearly to pull the trigger when John Cribb once again came to my rescue. John has be experimenting with COP’s on his engine and convinced me this is the way to go. Thus far I have picked up a set of Tundra COP’s and am working on the install details. This decision really had a big affect on my engine management choice.

So that brings me to the next avenue, Engine management. Well I thought I had this all sewn up. I purchased an Adaptronics system From Neil Griffiths, posted him a 120 pin jumper harness, had him wire up a 100% plug and play set up. Not only did he make me a plug and play system but he also loaded me a 10 and 15 lb map to get me close so I could get it to a dyno. This seemed like a super solution and Neil really delivered and then Guess what? Yep, I changed my mind. In light of the decision I made above to run COP’s I have decided to not use the Adaptronics, Not that COP’s cant be done with it but the set up is simpler and proven by John Cribb with a AEM. So I purchased a Supra TT AEM and shipped it off to Mitch Pederson for modification for the V-8. Once everything is complete I will be flying Mitch into Kansas to tune the beast.

For Fuel I am considering dual Walbros, I have a purchased 550cc injectors to fuel it. These should be good for some big HP numbers. I also will be running a Nissan Q45 Throttle body it measures about 85mm which is a big improvement over the stock SC TB. I have a Methonal injection set up but am hoping to not have to use it.

Well, now you have a nice snap shot of the Motor lets move on to the FI adder. As much as we all know a turbo would throw this motor into orbit I am a supercharger guy at heart so supercharger it is. I Contacted Andrew at Richwood Auto to see what my options were. Andrew has been an absolute awesome guy on this whole project and my parts are on the way. Here is a summery of what I ordered.

Whipple 2.3 Twin screw supercharger – this baby will make some serious boost and much more efficiently than my old M90
New intake with an air over water intercooler integrated into it. This was important to me to get the boost temperatures down. Air over water intercoolers are extremely efficient so this should do the trick.
Completely separate 8-rib belt drive- I didn’t want to take a chance on the belt slipping and this will let me keep all the accessories on there stock belt. This set up gives me 8 ribs and a 180° of belt wrap. It is a super set up, I will post some pictures when it arrives.

I have ordered a 15lb and 20lb pulley for the supercharger so now you see where my boost goals are headed.

Additional stuff I have acquired includes: A nice large Aluminum Water cooler for the front, this will fill the opening in my JIC front nicly plus offer a lot of cooling for the intercooler. I bought a high end dual pass unit that not only looks nice but functions well too. I also bought a Spearco high flow pump to keep the cool water moving in the cooler. I am currently working on a custom aluminum reservoir to house the extra water.

I have a lot more details of the build that I will add as it develops; this is just getting way to long, if you read to here, congratulations, Stay tuned, this car should be a beast.

Just to give your car new name.... BEAST!!! Wow..you have the best parts, best computer and best tuner.... 20 psi is the goal.

Big thanks to you David! You have been extremly helpful and hooked me up time and time again! Thanks! Time will tell what this build holds.

Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8
OK, finally the answer to the long awaited question. What are the specifics of the new engine for my SC400. I figured I would start a new thread and link it from the old one just to not get it lost in the prior supercharger build. If you don’t like to read then this lengthy post is not for you,. I will get pictures as the thread progresses....
If anyone who wants to specifically build a killer motor, but getting bored by reading your specs, then he's not a true car nut...:slaphappy:

Finally, you're revealing yourself...:beerchug: If you don't intend to keep the cams, sell them back and I'm sure someone will jump in and buy them for his NA setup. I'm a witness on those cams. They work flawlessly in NA setup.

To run hotter ignition, you may look into MSD 6AL ignition boxes and their coils. I ran the MSD ignition for boost on Honda engines and they're just so good. I could see a big difference. I don't think the Nology wires would do much. You can then have the AEM EMS for the best tuning out of the total package.

With your setup, I personally think 15 psi isn't satisfying the thirst of your engine and the Getrag. At least 20 psi, because you'll lose some pressure when you run the intercooler. You gotta break the 600 bhp mark, because my goal is already 15 psi for at least 550 bhp.

Way to go Scott, I think you made some great picks there ;-) That solution with the bigger base circle on the cams was very fortuitous.

This ought to be one serious motor when you're finished.

What cam did you chose??
Keven said the springs I required for T1 needed 80 Lb seat pressure, 180 over the nose..

Attachments

• IMG_0841 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0841 (Large).jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 28
If you don't intend to keep the cams, sell them back and I'm sure someone will jump in and buy them for his NA setup. I'm a witness on those cams. They work flawlessly in NA setup.

To run hotter ignition, you may look into MSD 6AL ignition boxes and their coils. I ran the MSD ignition for boost on Honda engines and they're just so good. I could see a big difference. I don't think the Nology wires would do much. You can then have the AEM EMS for the best tuning out of the total package.

With your setup, I personally think 15 psi isn't satisfying the thirst of your engine and the Getrag. At least 20 psi, because you'll lose some pressure when you run the intercooler. You gotta break the 600 bhp mark, because my goal is already 15 psi for at least 550 bhp.

Yes they are great cams and they have switched hands, they are shipping out today to a new owner.

John has talked me into cop's for now so I am taking that route on ignition.

I selected the AEM system based on Johns build, it should be a great system.

15lbs will leave me wanting, thats why I also bought a 20lb pulley. The good news is this is not a front mount intercooler, its a in manifold water cooled unit so boost loss should be a minimum.

Way to go Scott, I think you made some great picks there ;-) That solution with the bigger base circle on the cams was very fortuitous.

This ought to be one serious motor when you're finished.

Thanks John, You are a inspiration on this build, all of your support is greatly apreciated.

modified chevy 5.7 rods? Wow that's different, care to talk a bit more about them??

I will let david field this one but untimatly they are the "lextreme" rods

What cam did you chose??
Keven said the springs I required for T1 needed 80 Lb seat pressure, 180 over the nose..

The cams will be a custom grind, none of the off the shelf grinds quite fit the build. As soon as I have the actual cam grind card in hand I will share it here. Kevin (Kelford) recomended I use the springs they supply so I also ordered those, I dont have the specs here handy but will look them up if you would like. The cams are supposed to ship friday so I should se them in the next couple weeks.

Just to let you guys know..... Scott have good taste...... The gangs from lextreme camp are just absolutely excited and can not wait for this torque monster to be release.

4.7L
Supercharged
6 Speed.

These specs sound like an upgraded 2003 SVT Cobra. SVT Cobra hit 500 rwhp with just a pulley, exhaust and reprogramming. I think you will get alot more than that. Scott, if you have any questions about the 4.7L swap, please let me know.

Scott,

Is there any estimated time it'll be done? The sooner the better before your car chassis gets rusted.

Well I was shooting for Jan-Feb but thats coming on quick and I am still waiting on parts. Once I have all the parts I will have a better feel for it but I hope very soon.

Will be a interesting build when finished.

I found Kelford and Tighte the only places to get bullet cams for the 1UZ, i went for Tighte cams and they proved the slimless buckets and value springs to suit my combo.

Some toys are starting to show up.
BTW, I also added some pictures to the first post of the engine internals.
Custom ground Kelford Cams and spings!
DSCF1736.jpg
DSCF1738.jpg
AEM modified for the 1UZFE!
DSCF1737.jpg
Front mount Water cooler! Perfect fit for the hole in my JIC front!
DSCF1740.jpg
DSCF1741.jpg
85mm Throttle Body
DSCF1742.jpg
I also Have a brand new Whipple in my Kitchen! No pics yet.

Pics of the bottom end
DSCF1756.jpg
DSCF1755.jpg
DSCF1754.jpg
Pics of the port work
DSCF1750.jpg
DSCF1751.jpg
Here is a Handy trick
When You want to pull the springs without pulling the head. Put air pressure in the cylinder and use a valve master tool to remove the springs. I pulled them all and used some small office clips to secure the valves, worked like a charm.
DSCF1735.jpg
DSCF1734.jpg

Attachments

• Pipes 003.jpg
    Pipes 003.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 233
  • Pipes 005.jpg
    Pipes 005.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 234
  • Pipes 008.jpg
    Pipes 008.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 230
  • Pipes 009.jpg
    Pipes 009.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Pipes 010.jpg
    Pipes 010.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Pipes 007.jpg
    Pipes 007.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 232
  • Pipes 016.jpg
    Pipes 016.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 229
Wishing successes for your project ….
Is that a crack in the head porting picture ?

Funny thing about 1UZ heads. They have a crappy casting line. That is in every port. Even in a stock head it shows up on the intake and exhaust ports. Not sure what exactly it is but its there stock, the porting just brings it out even more.

New headers from Rush imports arrived! Wow that was fast!
These headers are beautiful! Stainless construction! Tig welds!
1 3/4" primarys. They are sweet! Neil Griffiths really pulled thru on these. Once I fit them I will share more but for now I am extremly pleased.
Pics!
DSCF1776.jpg
DSCF1777.jpg
DSCF1778.jpg
DSCF1779.jpg
DSCF1780.jpg
DSCF1781.jpg
DSCF1782.jpg
DSCF1783.jpg

Drooling bro.... I talked to Neil and he stated the SS headers are out of stock and no more until middle of next year. I think you got the last one. By the way did your wife yell at you for putting the headers on the sofa?