Power lost through the 4spd (noob questions)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

netb

I just got my 1996 SC400 and I've been doing some research. It seems like a massive amount of power is lost through the 4spd automatic. How much exactly? What is the most practical solution for getting past this? Is the 98+ 5spd automatic worth the work? Is a later model 6spd swap out of the question? If I don't have any other choice I'll get the manual from the sc300, but I prefer auto for highway cruising.

manual swap is the best solution. Why would you not want a manual for the freeway? I would think a manual used for daily traffic would be more of a PITA. You can physically fit the 5 and 6 speed up to the engine but they are nearly impossible to run electronically w/o the factory ecu (which cannot be used w/ a 96 motor. You can build the 4 speed with a valve body upgrade + upgraded clutch packs and higher stall tq converter to cut the majority of the shift lag but at the end of the day the heavy tq converor will always sap 20% of BHP. Also, with a built auto, it will shift MUCH faster than any manual swap. There is always a compromise but this doesnt mean your out of options, it just comes down to personal preference. BTW, a built auto would end up costing the same as a manual conversion so price wise both options cost the same.

Hope this helps some

I think that most of the power is lost through the convertor. Get a Suprastick trans controller and you can make the convertor lock when you want it to.

And...get a better convertor.

KC

u do loose some power but i doubt its alot
a manual does feel much faster but there are some things u can do to the auto

5spd auto might be to hard to get working electrically
these autos are sluggish between gear changes
so put a shift kit in the valve body
and also get a controller to make the gears shift quicker too
but remember if u play with the electronics u might make the box work faster
but then u will stuff somehting else in the car so u might have to trick ecus and stuff

in the end go manual as its the extra gear that makes the big difference

the autos are really 3 speeds with slight overdrive so thats y they feel sluggish