PLEASE tell me this is normal...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sietekk

Removed the two crossover coolant pipes that go between the cylinder heads (water inlet housing attaches to the front one), and found what appears to be severe pitting/corrosion on all four passageways. Please tell me this may be part of the casting, or at least if there is a way to properly seal these parts. I really hope the heads aren't permanently busted.

I bought the donor car from a guy who had removed the radiator and plugged up the radiator hoses with fabric shop towels. Could leaving the engine "open" like this cause corrosion of the metal part of the gaskets and pit the aluminum this badly? Half the pitting is a good 3-5mm deep, some about 8mm deep.

One look at the cylinder head:
Head1.jpg

Second look:
Head2.jpg

Condition of one of the four gaskets (notice rust already on metal portion):
Head2.jpg

Another shot:
Gasket3.jpg

A third:
Gasket1.jpg

Not normal, bad :( I haven't ever seen one that corroded? A decent sealant as well as new gaskets will do the job but I would be worried about the rest of the water galleries :eek:

This engine was a bit the same. It had crystallized coolant from sitting for a while. The crossover gaskets where just like yours but the alloy corrosion wasnt quite as deep as yours. We replaced the gaskets, used a good silicon sealant , new waterpump and thermostat as well. No issues with head gaskets yet. We water blasted the galleries out and lots of crap came out. If it does fail then another motor isnt too much.

Attachments

• Patch the dog 134.jpg
    Patch the dog 134.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Patch the dog 135.jpg
    Patch the dog 135.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 11
No havent taken the heads off. This engine had done 56000Kms and had been sitting for 5 years. The customer has a limit to how far we can go so at the moment the heads have stayed on. If it does give trouble another motor is cheap enough down the track. So far so good. This one was red coolant but over the years its turned to the stuff you see there. As long as a good coolant suitable for alloy blocks is used it is fine. I try to avoid mixing brands as I have seen the mix turn to jelly. I have engines that have run on green coolant for years without issue. Dont forget the quality of the water you are adding and correct grounding in the earthing system of the vehicle as well.

I would say your engines issue is the addition of air in the cooling system along with enough moisture and heat to cause corrosion. Engines keep better with the cooling system full or completely empty and dry.

err...here's mine...
1483a38s-960.jpg

looks like stuff on the pictures above isn't normal %)