Piggyback ECU Perfect Power ECU

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I have been hearing great things about the Perfect Power ECU. The affortable SMT7 is supposely the standalone of piggybacks. One of our members is a disturbutor for PP (Sea 2 Sky Tuning0. WeasyS2S also doing some projects with few Toyota cars.

What do u guys think. I am seriously consider the new and affortable SMT7.
smt7-side.jpg

BOOST CONTROL
The boost control feature is applicable to turbo installations where the boost must be controlled. This is particular important when the engine is NOT de-compressed, and when a rather small turbo is used. In most cases the engine has the tendency to “ping” between 2000-3000 RPM. The boost control can reduce the boost at the critical RPM and then increase the boost significantly at the higher RPM’s where the airflow is restricted. The Boost control feature can also be used as a standalone function for aftermarket boost control.

CLOSED LOOP LAMBDA (FUEL LOOP)
The SMT7 can work directly with a narrow (0-1Volt) sensor, or with a 0-5Volt wide band AFR signal from a WBC or other external device. You can run your conversion in closed loop, partial closed loop, or open loop: It is freely programmable!

TWO ANALOGUE SCREENS
You can tune lambda up to the point when the ECU switches closed loop off, and then you can tune the airflow meter on the second screen. Of course, you can tune ANY two analogue signals simultaneously!

LAMBDA TUNING
If your engine is closed loop controlled by a narrow band lambda sensor, then you can tune it. Changing the ECU target to a more economical, or to a more powerful setting does this. You can also tune WIDE BAND closed loop, but you can’t see the AFR directly. Of course, you see the effect!

INJECTION CONTROL
This is for controlling EXTRA injectors, which are placed in the manifold to SUPPLEMENT the original injectors. This is by far the best way to get more fuel in to an engine after adding a supercharger or turbo.

IGNITION CONTROL
This is a little trickier! The SMT7 can “modify” two engine signals simultaneously, thus giving you retard and advance timing facilities on all engines. Ignition control of complex (multiple gap, CAM pattern) is now possible.

SETPOINT CONTROL
It is by now a standard feature on all our models. The SMT7 has three set point outputs and 12 set point functions, with the possibility to link functions with a logical AND/OR. Example: Switch a relay on/off when the throttle is more/less than 75% AND RPM is higher/lower than 3000.

MORE INPUTS/OUTPUTS
Instead of sharing wires between functions, we have assigned a wire to every function. This makes the unit easier to understand and wire up, which results in two connectors with a total of 36 wires. Since there are so many features in the SMT7, Perfect Power will be shipping the units with only a few wires connected and loose pins to make up the rest of the connector. This is done to make the installation neater and not to have excess wires, not being used, hanging around.

FREQUENCY MODIFICATION (ROAD SPEED MODIFICATION)
The road speed of a vehicle is measured via a frequency, which is proportional to the vehicle road speed. The SMT7 can be used to adjust the frequency to compensate for different tyre size, or to remove the road speed governor.

FREQUENCY AIRFLOW MODIFICATIONS
Some airflow meters transmit a frequency to the ECU, which is proportional to the airflow. The SMT7 can map this signal (modify the frequency via the ANA2 map), thus allowing you to tune the engines fuel.

PWM MODIFICATIONS (FUEL, BOOST)
Some PWM signals (such as boost control) just need modification! The SMT7 can modify a PWM signal (Modify the width of the pulse) without changing the frequency, via the ANA2 map. However, the output is a “signal”, and needs to be amplified to drive an injector.

NEW SOFTWARE
The SMT7 has new software with an easy to use screen layout. The screens have more tuning versatility with extra columns featuring engine temp, air temp and manifold pressure.
The “WINDOWS MOUSE” operation has been supplemented by key board commands for row, column and field tuning, which are more accessible when operating a laptop computer in a car.
All tuning fields can be labelled in the field, and screens can be turned off if not needed. This is very convenient for customizing the software to your application.

8 TUNING SCREENS
Each screen refers to a particular tuning operation, and it displays all vital engine data. All setup parameters needed by the operation are located on the screen, which eliminates the need to confirm them, or to switch screens in order to change them.

HISTORY
The SMT7 provides a driving history, which can be uploaded.

MAX RECORDINGS
The SMT7 provides a driving history, which can be uploaded.

LOGGING
Of course, you can log all engine data and some SMT7 data and play it back

UPGRADING
The SMT7 can be “RE-FLASHED” in the field after receiving the new firmware via the Internet. KNOWN BUGS We are not proud of “bugs”, but we have them. The known bug list is our way of informing you of the next upcoming software changes, and possible “work around” solutions.

HELP
The manual is linked to the screens and subject index, which facilitates a quick reference.

TRIGGER TYPE
Most engines are different and have a different trigger. The trigger signal tells the ECU how much an engine has turned and which cylinder is next. 32 trigger types are possible. Most types are applicable to more than one engine and manufacturer. The trigger types are continuously updated, and eventually the most common types can re-flashed to suit your needs.

Unlike the SMT6 which YOU the user creates a trigger type to it, the SMT7 has pre-programmed triggers (all the Toyotas are covered do to the fact we have submitted a Tacoma V6 trigger 32-2 and its the same one used by even the newest Toyota engines)
There is also 60-1 bosch type triggers inputted already which covers a lot of the newer European vehicles as well as other vehicles that use the Bosch trigger wheel.

Because of this being a feature packed unit. it will be shipped with a basic harness and a bundle of un attached wires so you can make your own with the features you want to use. This eliminates the hassle of dealing with tons of wires in the harness that you wont even use

They are great units are the price on these units will be dropping very soon by about 100-150 or so dollars
if you have any questions you can post them here or fire me a pm/email

Thanks David for the great thread

Welp. Perfect Power's piggybacks, are the highest end management in their respective classes.

AFA the piggybacks (SMT6,7):
They flat out do the most stuff period.
They tune live.
They come complete... No buying crap to get functions like e-manage. Out of the box, you got all you need.
Store multiple maps, maps & different sets of settings in the smt7's case.
They're cheaper than anything in their class. (Emanage-Gold VS SMT-7, prices bounce around)

I love my SMT6.

What you wind up getting into, is that you really can effectively ahchive all the engine tuning that a standalone ECU can achive. You simply have to use some brains to combine features to do so.

Toysrme said:
What you wind up getting into, is that you really can effectively ahchive all the engine tuning that a standalone ECU can achive. You simply have to use some brains to combine features to do so.
THAT is key...i get NON stop questions on how do i do that? Or from people who enjoy picking at the SMT units saying "oh yea thats not possible" yet dont understand what i try to tell them.. "na man that wont work"

Its using the ouput functions in the units a long with your brains and the stock ecu can make lots of great things happen :)

ANY loading device will work so yes TPS/MAF/AFM/MAP will all work :)

However if you go with ITBS you can still use a map sensor like some bikes use, what you do is tap each ITB unit and join them all togheter and connect to a map sensor.

Group buy is coming up in the near future 8 forums wide. This is after a price drop.

yep using TPS is simple...

how do you have your map sensor hooked up?

Another trick is to pinch the map line a bit to help slow down the vacum changes caused by the ITB's

no problem man!

Damien, for ITB's the best would be either:
TPS * RPM map & modify that by the MAP sensor, or
MAP * RPM map & modify that by TPS.

ITB's can be tricky. Be sure to take vacuum from every intake! It'll help the tuning a lot. (& the closer to the valve you sorce that, the better. The less pressure-wave effect on the MAP sensor)

I've got short 4mm ID tubes going from each intake to a central 8mm ID tube which has a vac line going to the MAP sensor. Vac seems to be reading steadily with this setup but I haven't had much time lately to get my teeth into the tuning.

Like any kind of mod it's taking way longer than expected but thanks for the tips!

Hey fella's...How are these SMT's working out of late? Are they holding a final tune or being influenced by the stock ECU?....Can I install and tune it this myself? I have never computer tuned an engine before and want to learn and give it a go, oh so bad....I can read instructions very well and apply....What am I looking at?

I Need to dump my current Apexi piggy back that I am currently not happy with and it looks like this little SMT baby may just be the answer......

I have installed and tuned several of them.

The stock ecu WILL fight back in anything up until woot were the ecu goes into open loop.

I am working with several people on the yotatech board to use the smt6 to trick the ecu into going into open loop when you want it to so the ecu wont fight back.

Weasy that is the main concern with these piggy backs is they don't stick with the ever learning stock ECU...What good is the piggyback if you cannot keep your engine in perfect tune over a reasonalbe amount of time? Even if it is a minor adjustment that occures it still changes things. I know for one I don't want change, simple said a fine tune is so important to me....

Any thoughts on this?...Are there any piggy backs out their that actually stick to the final tune settings without any change... or that keep the ECU in open loop? I want to be able to hold a final tune... Are stand alone ECU's the only option for that?

Attachments

• HPIM0163.JPG
    HPIM0163.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM0164.JPG
    HPIM0164.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM0174.JPG
    HPIM0174.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM0166.JPG
    HPIM0166.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1
Every piggyback does the same thing...

you have to adjust the ecus open and closed loop control.
There is a piece of hardware out there that will put the ecu into open loop (which enables you FULL control) after 2psi, it is called the Split Second ESC1.

But like i mentioned above, anyone with the smt6 or 7 will be able to do the same thing with a little bit of wiring work. Once this is all figured out it will be easy.

Attachments

• HPIM0144.JPG
    HPIM0144.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM0152.JPG
    HPIM0152.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM0139.JPG
    HPIM0139.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM0135.JPG
    HPIM0135.JPG