Oil Pressure

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

mico

Does anyone know what sort of oil pressure a 1uz should have?
My 4runner gauge said it was running about a 1/4 the way up the gauge, know the engine is dead seems like it run dry in the top end, so if anyone can help (so it doesn't happen again) i would be very appeciative.

cheers
Mico

My engine runs off the gauge almost all the time. When hot at idle it will drop to the middle.

The gauge reads to 500kpa.

The PCV will not alter oil pressure.

The valve will alter crankcase pressure but this is separate and not related to oil pressure.

Thanks Zuffen, i'd say that there was something wrong with my engine then, or the oil pump, anyway it's stuffed know so i'd better get back to putting another one in.

One problem we all face with half cuts is how long since it last ran and what condition was it in when it last ran?

Before any attempt is made to start a half cut I belive you should replace the oil and filter.

If you inspect the engine before purchase look at oil colour and smell the oil. A good engine's oil smells fine a dud engine's oil stinks.

Look carefully at the condition of the engine before purchase. Is it clean and free of corrossion? If its dirty and the alloy is powdery or milky find another engine. Buy the best you can find as it stands to reason its been looked after and it will then look after you.

In fact I would rather buy a half cut that is clearly damaged (mine was) as it means the car was cut up because it had an accident rather than because the engine was on its last legs.

i've got no problem getting a good engine, a mate wrote his soarer off not long ago and i'm buying the one out of it (really cheap), this engine has been pretty well looked after so hopefully i'll have no dramas

Mines been running at around 1/4 on the 4Runner guage since day one.

The one thing I found interesting is the only manual i've looked at said the LS400 (my engine is Celsior) that they take 5.3L of oil. If i put 1 5L container in, the dipstick reads over full.

In fact, strangely enough; Last time I changed the oil, the dipstick said full. Yet what came out was close to 4L. Assuming some was still on the components in the motor, it still seemed a bit low....

Zuffen said:
One problem we all face with half cuts is how long since it last ran and what condition was it in when it last ran?

Before any attempt is made to start a half cut I believe you should replace the oil and filter.

If you inspect the engine before purchase look at oil colour and smell the oil. A good engine's oil smells fine a dud engine's oil stinks.

Look carefully at the condition of the engine before purchase. Is it clean and free of corrosion? If its dirty and the alloy is powdery or milky find another engine. Buy the best you can find as it stands to reason its been looked after and it will then look after you.

In fact I would rather buy a half cut that is clearly damaged (mine was) as it means the car was cut up because it had an accident rather than because the engine was on its last legs.
Sorry to go off topic, but since Zuffen mentioned it I thought I'd quickly ask a question....

The new motor I've just installed (haven't got it running yet) was absolutely spotless....the timing belt was done before I got it (sticker says 96,000kms) and you can still clearly see all the timing belt marks and writing on it. So it hasn't done many km's since it was done....There was also lots of shattered glass in the V.....which is why I think the V8 is so clean.....the previous owner, obviously looked after it...

Anyway to get to the question...when I swapped my coloured coded cam covers on, all the cams etc..were extremely dry...you couldn't even feel oil on your fingers when wiping them around in there......so, before I fire the new engine up for the first time (it'll have new oil and filter), would it be wise to poor some oil over cams to prevent any damage??

Attachments

• whitegold.jpg
    whitegold.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 47
Twisty,

You're right.

Your engine was from a smashed car. Unfortunately these engines can sit around for 12 months and the oil slowly drains away from all surfaces.

Good practice would be to remove the cam covers and oil all the cam lobes then remove the spark plugs and drop some oil down each cylinder than turn the engine over by hand a dozen times to spread the oil over the cam lobes and cylinder walls.

Then crank it over with the starter. Re-install the plugs and start it.

I once read the correct procedure for storing a Mercedes engine and it was very involved. I was very surprised when they said at the end of the article the engine was being stored for 6 weeks. Not 6 months or a year but only 6 weeks.

They then went into the procedure for recommissioning the engine which again was quite involved.