oil pressure gauge wiring

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mat Grant

Hi all,

I want to wire the oil pressure gauge on my 1uz. I've got the stock pressure sender, but a VDO oil pressure gauge I'd like to use (or I will use any other if there is a known one that will work accurately).

How do I work out what gauge to get? Do they have a standard for volts vs psi on the sender (and on the meter)? Or failing that, can anyone name a type of gauge that will work with the stock 1UZ sender and give an accurate reading?

Thanks, Mat.

Which 1uz has a oil pressure Sensor? All the ones we get only have an oil pressure Switch. We normally get a gauge with sensor included in the pack and fit that up with a sturdy T fitting. VDO do a good T unit. Just fitting one up at the moment in a surf.

Thanks - sorry I just presumed it was a pressure sensor - I have a photo but it wouldn't let me attach it and I don't have a way to crop or compress the photo

It's a 1992 soarer engine - has (had) the angled oil filter bracket and the sensor/switch is mounted onto the bracket on the other sde from where the filter screwws on - it's a silver cylindrical shaped thing with a 1 wire electrical connector.

So if it's just a switch I'll want to put a sender on, I'll have to think of a way of fitting a sender.

I found the above pic on the web - my oil filter barcket off was like the one on the left (now have a remote filter) but the sender/switch is seen on the black one on the right. This is the sort I have. Is that actually a switch? If it is I will junk it unless it is needed to send an input to the ECU.

Is it needed for the ECU?

Thanks, Mat.

The switch oil light will attract your attention should the engine lose pressure for any reason a lot faster than a guage, as you only glance at gauages occasionally.

If you look at the filter mount there are two cap head plugs that cover the machined oil galleries in the fitting.

I removed both plugs and run a pressure guage in one and a temp guage in the other and retain the switch in the original position.

I had to source fittings to work but it wasn't hard and it did everything I wanted.

Thanks Rod - good point!

I'm guessing it's "normally closed" so closes to ground with the engine off, then opens under normal oil pressure?

Thanks, Mat.

The switch oil light will attract your attention should the engine lose pressure for any reason a lot faster than a gauge, as you only glance at gauges occasionally.

If you look at the filter mount there are two cap head plugs that cover the machined oil galleries in the fitting.

I removed both plugs and run a pressure gauge in one and a temp gauge in the other and retain the switch in the original position.

I had to source fittings to work but it wasn't hard and it did everything I wanted.

Hi Rod.
That oil filter adapter in the picture above, on the left - what's it from? That may be just what I am looking for!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

If you're talking about the silver coloured oil filter adaptor that i posted a pic of, that is from an early 1UZ soarer. I still have that somewhere. on my build it clashed with the steering rack, but I kept it in case it was needed for any reason...

Cheers, Mat.

Thanks Mat.
Its a bit hard to see from the picture, but I guess the filter sits about horizontally given the apparent angle of the mounting plate?
Any chance of some pictures (if you find it of course), maybe from front on?.
Thanks Mat.
Jeff

If matt cant find pictures Ive got one floating around. Its on my list for a youtube video. The different kinds of filter have been sitting around the shop for some time.

Hi,

Sorry only just saw this... I found this photo from ages ago in case it helps. You can see the filter pointing sideways in front of the steering rack. You can just about see in the photo that the oil filter bracket clashes with the rack (engine is on spacers at this point to raise it up) So I took off the oil filter bracket and put on a remote adaptor.

I'm having my garage rebuilt at the moment so I can't get to the part, but hoping to in about 8 weeks time...

Cheers, Mat.

Attachments

• PICT0620 resize 3.JPG
    PICT0620 resize 3.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Mat. Great picture. Yes, the oil filter does hang down!
Anyway, moot point, I have already ordered one of Gloverman's adapters. Hoping it will arrive soon.

Jeff

Hi gents just wana to know there is two sensors under the intake that goes on the block or on the heads what is that sensors for can any1 tell me what's ot for please thanks