Normal to see cross hatch patterns in old used motor?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
I just pulled my motor apart and i see those cross hatch marks on the cyl walls, could possible be from when the motor was first made? I was thinking maybe it has been rebuild and repaired maybe after a water pump failure? could they possibly be from when the motor was put together 13 years ago?

From all reports there are 1UZ's out there with 200,000miles on them still showing the factory hone marks.

This just supports the concept these engines (the core of the engine at least) were built to go just about forever.

That's pretty amazing. So what that means is, as long as there's no catastrophic engine failure, such as putting a hole through a piston or breaking the ring lands, that the motor shouldn't ever need to be bored over?

Attachments

• DSC02075.JPG
    DSC02075.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
No eventually it will wear out.

From reports I hear 500,000 miles on an unopened engine is not rare.

I would expect by double that for the engine to be throw away but by then the maintnance on the rest of the car would have sent you broke. Pity they put such a fine engine in such a high maintnance chassis.

They have had a 555K mile LS400 out here in the US, but i dont think the LS was a high maintnance chassis, maybe its different here in the US?

These marks look great, im about to pull the bottom end out, maybe i can get some pix later.

Chrome piston rings + low tension will give that result.
I can remember the first time I saw that in a German made Opel engine.