Newbie Help Starting a 1UZ-FE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

raymondclark0

Hi folks, Im currently have a 1994 LS400 1UZ-FE bought for a jet boat project but im having some difficulty starting it. I have an ECU from the same year with all four plugs with it (34pin 22pin 16pin 28pin). Three of the plugs on the engine plug straight in, the fourth one isn't on the engine (All four plugs came with the ECU and the colours match the ones on the engine). There is three shorter plugs that i presume go to the dashboard for starting/control with a thick black wire which controls the started solenoid. I tried to match the wire colours with the ones in the tech articles, but the colours don't match. I did work out that the black/red. black/yellow and black/orange are important 12v feeds. I tried connecting those three wires to the 12v supply. Plus 12v to the yellow/red check engine wire as read in another thread, but the engine only turns over and doesn't start. Will the engine run without the transmission and factory fuel pump on the stock ECU? Im not worried about the ECU throwing up error codes as long as the engine runs.
Thanks in advance,
Raymond.

The engine will run without the factory transmission.

I assume when you say "factory fuel pump" that you have replaced the factory unit with and EFI pump that will give a minimum of 43psi fuel output.

Reading between the lines you have the engine out of the car?

In this case have you earthed the ignitors?

Also have you earthed the ECU to the engine. Usually the brown wires.

I have run that ecu on a jetboat and it was a pain. I did get it to run ok after applying some creative ideas. There are about 7 wires in the "dash" plug on the ecu along with several power feeds in the loom which are required. The main codes the one I did where to do with the oxygen sensors as it had marine exhaust manifolds on it without the prevision for the o2 sensors. You will need a diagram

Cheers

Hi Guys, thanks for the replys, yeah i got a landrover fuel pump off ebay that develops the 43psi, i think its a oem replacement for a Bosch one,
Are the igniters separate to the engine? What do they do, are they different to the ignition coils?
The ECU case is grounded to the engine, if the loom is intact will the brown wires be grounded through the loom? I will also try and ground the brown wires in the 4th plug.
I think we are going to use the stock exhaust manifolds but will the engine refuse to start without the oxygen sensors?

I managed to get a pair of igniters from the US off ebay for £35 or about AU$70 (They wanted £120 from a breakers yard over here about AU$240) I think they are from a toyota tercel part number 89621-26010 but am I right in thinking that they are all pretty much the same part and a pair of them will work with the 1UZ-FE?

Cheers

There are acouple of versions of plugs for the igniters.

I know the LS400 and Sc400 use different plugs to the Crown.

If they won't plug in you may need to jury rig something up.

The igniters must be earthed.

The brown earth wires from the ECu must also be earthed.

Thanks Guys

Thanks guys for all your help, got the engine running eventually, however I was wondering what the breather in the picture below is for, its into the inlet manifold just above the flywheel? When it is open to the air the engine doesn't idle very well, however when it is blocked off the engine seems to idle just fine. Just wondering if i can blocked it off or will this do damage or cause other problems.
Thanks
Raymond

breather-1.jpg

yeah whack a bolt in there or hook it up to your brakes, but if its a ski boat... im guessing not required.. (Definitely the brakes) You can also get a electric brake booster from the later soarers, and this fitting is blanked off from factory, so definitely not important.