Newbie needs help on conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

saltigagt

Hi,

Just bought a Holden HQ Sedan which the previous owner had changed the engine to a 1uz-fe. Funny thing is the previous owner has no idea which year/model of car it came from. So now i am having problem identifying what kinda 1uz-fe i have in the car. Anyway of find out? Thanks

Saltigagt,

Just out of curiosity is there a grey connector just to the left of the water neck on the top of the motor? It would be almost right behind the coil on the passenger side of the motor.

Jake

No not the ecu. If you are standing at the front of the car looking down at the motor there is the water neck at the top of the motor. just to the left of that there is a square coil. Just behind that coil or just to the right and behind it there should be a temp sensor in the coolant crossover. It is a grey connector. If you engine is a 89-94 engine and I believe it is you should see that connector. I am looking for a quick identification for OBDI and OBDII engines. On the engines I have here it is something I have noticed.

Jake

4U2QUIK... thanks man! how did ya identified the motor?

I can see the first generation billet fuel rails poking out a little on the left side, which is a 1st gen only item, the power steering pump is a sc400 unit,

at jakespeeds. the easiest fastest way to tell a obd1 from a obd2 is the fuel rails. 89-94.5 have billet fuel rails, and cold start injectors at the bottom of the upper intake manifold. @94.5 you get a little crossover where you have a billet fuel rail, but no cold start injector. then 95-98 (obd2) have cast fuel rails, and no cold start injectors.

Last edited:
I agree with you. But I got in a 1U with billet fuel rails and at first glance I though early motor. But the lack of the coolant crossover temp sensor showed it to be a OBDII engine. Further disassemble proved it to be OBDII. The motors are getting to a point now where we might start seeing engines with parts swapped around.

Jake

I don't , yet anyway. I work mainly on JDM but we do see a few other engines just to spice it up. We swap parts around on many conversions we do to get the best combo of parts for the job.

When we get soarer engines they have a remote style reserviour for the p/s pump. Now it could have had the reserviour changed.
The best way to tell is the idle up valve on the pump , soarer mounted on the line , celsior mounted into the base of the pump.
Soarer looms have the ignitors on the LH side where the main body plugs are yet this engine the ignitors are mounted on the RH side.

Being in a HQ a rear type sump fits better but still foul the cross member so a soarer / sc400 sump would make a better choice.

It looks like it is running the hydro fan so that rules out lexus badged LS400 and 131 crown which have viscious but celsior run hydro. Looking at the hydro fan reserviour it is different from the soarer we see which have a plastic unit.

The OBD2 rule works for USDM cars but not JDM. We see 20 series engine which are still OBD1 right up until late 97. This is one reason many people struggle to wire JDM engines when using USDM diagrams. Toyota like keeping us on our toes.

I think the ECU number and loom number matched against the other parts in the best way to decide which engine it most likely is.

I agree with you. But I got in a 1U with billet fuel rails and at first glance I though early motor. But the lack of the coolant crossover temp sensor showed it to be a OBDII engine. Further disassemble proved it to be OBDII. The motors are getting to a point now where we might start seeing engines with parts swapped around.

Jake
that's the 94 1/2 I'mpretty sure when they lose the coldstart injector they go to obdii.

well, took our the ECU, sticker on it was worned, can't make it out anything except for "1uz-fe" on it. Sent it off to have it checked, apparently got 6 places which the caps has leaked/fried. Getting that changed for now. Still cant really pin point what exact year or model this came out from.

another question, sicne that this engine is quite cheap to be acquired from the chop shop, IF i decide to swap another unit, does it have to be a sc400 of the same year, in order to use the same ECU? or are they interchangeable with other 1uz-fes? Thank you

I have little experience with very early ecu's (1992 and older). Seems like those with 2-row sockets are interchangeable but not in the "bolt on" sense. I mean, they do need some minor tweaks to get running properly.

ECU seems to be done up, car runs ok, when idling it does have a few popping sound, miss-firing? Now that i have been driving it for about two weeks, there are some issues i cant figure out and hope to get some pointers.

1. Water temp runs around 80-90 deg celcius, is this normal? The aftermarket fan is blowing really strong even when idling, can even feel it from the front wheel arch. Mechanic tells me that its only running at full speed, wont change speed. Is this a concern?
2. Running original 1uzfe A/T gearbox, but rear diff for holden HQ is 3.55, changing gears is really slow, is it an issue with the rear diff ratio?
3. Power wise i am quite sure its not performing up to par with a 4.0 V8, feels more like a 2.0 inline 6, bit sounds great! When full throttle, the car literally stops when changing gears for a split second, then jerks and roar again after switching gears. Doesnt happen when half throttle. Any ideas?
4. Lastly, i calculated my car runs about 230km on 53litres of gas... Which to me is just crazy, and i am cruising most of the time. Is this normal fo a 1uz?

Any input is much appreciated!

The engine has the early Diagnostic port on it so it can't be OBDII.

The power steering pump is an early Crown/LS400/Celsior style being mounted directly to the pump and not remote like an SC400/Soarer.

Additionally the igniters are on the same side as a Crown.

Throttle body has Traction Control and the AFM/MAF is alloy not plastic.

The water cross-over pipe doesn't have the small bleed nipple for an SC or Soarer.

My guess is early Crown.

A photo from the passenger's side would be most helpful.