new member planning 1UZfe into XF falcon been done?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

deankdx

hi guys, i haven't yet heard of anyone doing this conversion but heres what i've considered so far, car is 87 ford falcon sedan, i was told(need to verify) the crown motor is the go for sump reasons, however i also plan to use an EA T5 which CRS and Delllow do a kit for so the half cut with separate ECU for trans is appealing (not sure on sump? falcon is front or for certain which half cut for this ECU or go aftermarket?) i would like to use power steer pump on motor with P/S box already in car and also run air con. another maybe(preference) is running a gas research LPG setup as the car is to be driven daily doing approx 600km week. i was also recommended to use 3.23 lsd with the .7 overdrive T5 which would be around 1900/2000rpm @ 100kmh(opinions appreciated) i was planning to use standard exaist manifolds at first running cats and advise on exhaust from here would be appreciated i was thinking 2.5" with say a super turbo muffler and resonator before muffler if req. currently the car is carby but was available with EFI so i was hoping the standard ford EFI pump(in tank) would work with this conversion. thats all i can think of at the moment but if anyone is part way or has completed an X?(XR-XF) falcon conversion i'd like to know about it please photo's or links would be great.
hopefully you will able to advise or just give your opinion on this conversion thanks PS. soory about the long first post

BLOWN EA said:
If You Need Help On Anything Let Me Know As I Am Doing Somthing Close To You Conversion
Blown Ea 4 Eva
blown Ea are you doing an X series falcon too? i've been watching you're thread on the EA and the main concern at the moment is the sump location, i think if you fit an EA motor in an XF the sump hits the sway bar so i'm hoping a middle sump 1UZ will clear the sway bar and still be in front of the cross member?

also what did you do for engine mounts? as they may be similar but definatly not the same XF-EA
thanx Dean

hey dean, hurry on up and give it a go so i can copy you, hehe... jokes mate.

me and a mate are considering a 1uzfe twin turbo swap for his xb coupe....

R-Jay said:
hey dean, hurry on up and give it a go so i can copy you, hehe... jokes mate.

me and a mate are considering a 1uzfe twin turbo swap for his xb coupe....
r jay how lomg have you been on this forum? number of posts makes me think a while? i haven't heard anyone doing it to an X series falcon yet even Rod Hadfield didn't know of any when i enquired about T5 bell housing a few months back
i plan everything out before i start cos i plan to have it finished within 3 months of starting.
that reminds me i have to ring an engineer to see if it'll pass as planned, otherwise it might be a 6cylinder V8 hehe

mate, not much has been done in terms of x series falcons.... i have been on this forum since april 04 but have mainly been concerned with my own conversion which is a supra v8 tt....

still thinking about the xb though... very tempted.... even my friend is excited and he's a bogan who use to think pushrods were king... i let him read up some technical infor about the 1uz and now he's in love.... another reason why he wants this done as bad as i do is because his cleveland 351 (bored to 6l) barely makes 100kw on the dyno, hehe, which is a total joke....

anyhow, still doing alot of research... will post when/if the conversion starts

another reason why he wants this done as bad as i do is because his cleveland 351 (bored to 6l) barely makes 100kw on the dyno, hehe, which is a total joke....
WTF??? Is this normal for one of these motors, or is it just in really bad condition? or does the auto box sap all the power.
I'm always curious to see what old motors put out interms of power and torque, as its not easily available info to find.

R-Jay said:
he's a bogan who use to think pushrods were king... i let him read up some technical infor about the 1uz and now he's in love.... his cleveland 351 (bored to 6l) barely makes 100kw on the dyno, hehe, which is a total joke....
i've got no idea what rwkw my clevo had but it was standard bore had a gas cam 8.7:1 comp(std think thats what it is) manual 4 speed with 2.92lsd, it ran 16.1 over the 1/4 on a duel fuel lpg set up running on lpg(16.3 on petrol but was not tuned for petrol)

really i think(even though i've never been in a 1UZ powered anything) he would be dissapointed if he put in a lexus donk. i'm budgeting on around 5 grand to do it properly. spend 5 grand on a clevo and it'd be awsome.

but heres the catch,me personally am replacing a six cyl motor(don't like clevo cos they are too heavy and heavy on fuel and in an XF not XBthey must be straight gas and heater pipes are a bastard, 1UZ will prob be same with heater pipes) i could drop in an OHC 4.0 ford six, that probably has more torque down low than 1UZ but can never be a V8 and i just want about a mid 15 sec 1/4 mile time and good fuel economy with V8 sound and light motor to help handling(clevo V8 is NO GO for this reason)
an LS1 conversion does not appeal to me but would be more cost effective if chasing GRUNT

a 1UZFE on gas would need advanced timing to take advantage of the extra octane. you could really only do this with an aftermarket ignition only computer - as the gas carbies do away with any fuel metering devices. pity really, injected gas would be NICE.

one thing "you V8 blokes" need to remember that unless you REALLY ARE going to tow a boat with it (not just brag about how it can) then forget about off-idle torque. here's an engine that revs to 7k happily and easily - so why not drive it accordingly...? more revs doesn't always equal more fuel - if the engine is operating more effectively at higher revs then run it at those revs and fuel bills will prob be less than "normal". a good example of this is highway / freeway driving.

the 1UZ won't idle like an olskool V8, sound like an olskool V8 or drive like an olskool V8. in fact, it will sound more like a camry than a 351. remember, this is Lexus we're talking about, not FoMoCo.

pro240c said:
a 1UZFE on gas would need advanced timing to take advantage of the extra octane. injected gas would be NICE.

one thing "you V8 blokes" need to remember that unless you REALLY ARE going to tow a boat with it then forget about off-idle torque. here's an engine that revs to 7k happily and easily - so why not drive it accordingly...? more revs doesn't always equal more fuel - .
i have heard a couple of soarers that had a nice note in the exhaust with sports systems, i recon it'll sound nice, i reckon in my case it will do exactly what i want, go as quick as a new falcon XR6(not turbo) use less fuel than a ford six and sound better. i don't have a tobar on this car and i doubt it will get one(thats why i have a UTE with towbar) will it rev to 7k with standard ECU who cares5.5k is plenty in my application. gas octane is pretty crap latly and is considered to be at best the same as PULP besides the high comp of this engine will suit gas if i decide to bother hooking it up. rev wise at highway speeds will be tested with fuel economy in mind, diff ratios are readily available in 3.5, 3.7, 3.9 so if its better crusing at 2800 in forth than 1900 in fith then i'll go 3.7 diff and get it upto2200 ish?
my goal is to have an engine better in all areas than a 4.0 OHC ford engine combo, that has a V8 noise(not worried about idle quality or sound )

actually i've heard some really nice soarer idles.... with some whacky cams, you can make it sound as mean as the old school 8's also.

spoke to my mate today (he works with me)... might actually think about a s/c setup if he does go 1uz rather than TT as he wants instant torque. That is still a long way off though.

personally, i've always been into japanese engines so revving is like second nature... gotta be turbo!!

spoke to an engineer the other day and he says there should be no probs gaining certification on this plan. as long as i use factory computer run CATS and air box from half cut wit all pollution stuff. there needs to beat least 8mm from all body to motor, and at least 10mm to steering components. all modified mounts are to be MIG welded. toyospares in Bayswater told me of this engineer which is just up the road from them, has passed 3 quad cam motor transplants so far but all were pre 1986 cars, mine will be 1987 which means you must comply with ADR 37? not sure what this means other than pollutin stuff. the engineer also recommended getting good brake pads as there is a stringent brake test. cost of engineers certificate is near on $1000 which will make this conversion $5000 minimum on top of the cost of the planned car which at this stage i have not purchased, got one already but needs a tidy up which will cost more than its worth

deankdx - could you do us a favour and pm me the details of that engineer.
i'm just down in knox and am still seeking a good engineer to give my project the okay once its finished. ta mate if u can.

thefastj said:
deankdx - could you do us a favour and pm me the details of that engineer.
i'm just down in knox and am still seeking a good engineer to give my project the okay once its finished. ta mate if u can.
pm sent please post here if you find something interesting

WELL WELL!! i asked in the title if this conversion had been done before? and the answer is YES!

the one i'm going to see soon with the almost definate purchase is in an '85 falcon which is not unleaded normally. but otherwise the same, it is however using the standard crown auto and running the tiptronic type setup which i'll have to convert to manual most likely. the engine has been fitted with a front sump(crown one don't work as expected) the car is using a std falcon in tank EFI pump using 1UZ air and steer pumps with falcon steer box and falcon air and fitted using engine mounts from toyota on cusom mounting adapters. running std ECU and toyota radiator.
it is running on LPG and with the VERY tall std falcon diff of 2.92 it gets about 500km per 60L LPG using a VN 5litre V8 comodore gas ring in front of throttle body and cat and main muffler from same car V8 commodoreVN.

i'm yet to see the car but its not engineered and has the following at least to be fixed to pass: speedo reads 140kmh at 100kmh(doubtfull if 3.5 diff ratio will fix) temp sensor from falcon does not agree with toyota temp (reads boiling at normal) 6 cyl tach not working(i believe this will be easily calibrated unlike speedo)

performance wise i would guess it would be compareable to the HT kingswood ute of KRAYN as the falcon owner described performance as comparable to 4.1 falcon six until 3000rpmish when the 1UZ comes ALIVE.

anyway if you want to know anything that i may be able to find out when i see the car hopefully this weekend let me know in this post and i'll do my best to find out.
Dean
PS. and if you can think of any fixes for the above probs please let me know

i'll be picking this car up on Wednesdsy night, i was wrong in assuming it had the tiptronic setup as the owner described flicking swithes to work the gears. looked at this car on sunday, forgot to take camera.
it has the following faults: needs speed sensor to have correct pulse per rev so trans can work as normal, temp gauge or sender needs modification as it reads hot when 1UZ is normal(due to lexus motor running ten degrees or so hotter than ford motor) tacho not set up(not sure if the signal from the ignighter is compatable with the ford type which uses negative on coil+ plus will need calibrating even if it works as falcons never came with 4 cyl) speedo requires ratio corrector box as it reads almost double actual speed. has power steer hose leak(easy fix PIRTEK job) diff ratio too tall at 2.92,
PROCEDURE TO DRIVE CURRENTLY is farked, pull shifter into first, change shifter into second when ready, for third flick a switch for forth put shift into D reverse this procedure to slow down.

things to note for those considering: i'll put in another post

THINGS NOTED SO FAR for this conversionthis setup is in an 85 XF, should fit XA -XF in a similar fashion(i'm not 100% but i was told that XR-XY had narrower engine bays)

this was done using a crown half cut,a front sump was sourced (assuming from celsious/soarer) the motor is mounted using crown mounts on custom plates(quite simple in design) the auto has a custom crossmember using crown mount, to miss the ford crossmember (for engine mounting) the motor was still mounted a little more forward than the ford6 or 8, hence room for heater pipes(BONUS) fornt of sump still misses the falcon swaybar another bonus. the ride height did not alter much i'm told(has heavy duty lowered 6 cyl springs still fitted) but i'm assuming by the way the wheel align is(toed out a little that it went lower a bit[ie 1UZ heavier than ford 6, plus being a little more forward won't help] that is assuming he never got a wheel align after doing this conversion, tyres confirm this) the air con pipes have been custom adapted and works fine, the power steer hose is crown with a falcon nut and flare, a little short maybe but works well still. the accel cable is from the crown also and is adapted to the pedal(somehow) the radiator is crown also with mods to the lower mount area of the falcon, a thermo fan has been fitted but i reckon(not seen so not 100%)the clutch fan from crown would still have enough room, exhaust is apparently stock crown till it gets to about under the driver seat area, then is using a VN 5litre comodore cat and main muffler no other mufflers then out tailpipe not sure what size2.25 or 2.5?(probably whatever comodoreV8 uses) the battery has been moved to the other side and looks to be easily done using the mounts and tray from falcon.
the air box is commodore 5ltreVN also with a ford EFIduct pipe joined to the air flow meter using a pod filter adapter. amazingly the falcon shifter 3 speed auto has the same leverage(fulcrum??) as toyota. space between shocker towers and heads is tighter than a 351clevland motor so will be VERY tight in an XR-XY if they are what i belive to be narrower.
ELECTRICAL side looks like a major nightmare unless you're patient, need probably $600 to sort out guages and shift problems, you won't be happy with 2.92 diff ratio of falcon needs at least 3.45 i reckon(may like higher say 3.9 but cost comes into it{double price of 3.45}) this car is using an EFI pump from a falcon that fits in the tank as standard(tank is from EFI car).tail shaft is custom made

to engineer the cost is around $1000 plus all other farmed out work like hoses,tailshaft etc. so MINIMUM budget is 5 grand, for a falcon 5 grand on a 351 will be a rocket, that guzzles petrol/gas and makes the car handle crap.you decide,
PS falcon6 to V8 conversion can be done over a weekend

but for me, i want something different as obviosly the owner of this was thinking same a year before i thought about it.

LPG and Lexus V8

I have a simple solution for anyone using LPG on a Lexus V8. I import a stand alone direct ignition system that is so easy to use. It can be tuned by anyone that knows what timing they want. I can also supply the LPG comonents. It cost more than the crap components out there on the market, but quality does cost. By the way i have customers using the DIS on 7 sec blown V8s and one is a Lexus V8 so it is capable of handling anything you throw at it.

techo said:
I have a simple solution for anyone using LPG on a Lexus V8. I import a stand alone direct ignition system that is so easy to use. It can be tuned by anyone that knows what timing they want. I can also supply the LPG comonents. It cost more than the crap components out there on the market, but quality does cost. By the way i have customers using the DIS on 7 sec blown V8s and one is a Lexus V8 so it is capable of handling anything you throw at it.
interesting this thing runs fine on lpg as a duel fuel setup while not optimal its no worse than any other car with a gas ring and complex converter. this gas ring is of a VN comodore V8 also and they seem to run okay i guess

picked up the car today, needs a diff already, see link(quite a long story, as usual) http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17605#post17605 i've got to say i like this conversion, light as a six, good fuel economy and handling, with me driving it its starting to get a decent note from the comodore V8 MUFFLER(blowing out the cobwebs, and spiders{inside the diff}).
more updates soon whether you're interested or not!