New Crank/Rod Idea (4.8L)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
rarson said:
Yeah. If I can order them straight from Pauter for the same price, then I might as well just have them make them with the journal width that I need. But otherwise I'll just get a machine shop to make them thinner.

Are my numbers on the sleeve size of the 1UZ correct? I thought the 3UZ and the 1UZ had the same sleeve thickness?
Maajola measured the sleeves on his 1UZ - 3mm, in the same thread, someone stated that the 3uz is the same block as 1UZ but with bigger bore and 1.5mm sleeve thickness.

I understand that, but my understanding of it was that the sleeves were the same thickness. Bigger bore, but same thickness. I got this impression from the 1UZ Block vs. 3UZ Block page. In fact, it even has measurements for both sleeves at .187", or a little more than 4.7mm (which is about what I get when I calculate it from the visual measurement off the picture).

As to rod widths with Honda rods they vary, there is no standard sizing, just different sizes. Certainly just stay with 6 inch. The sizes I have seen are 0.820 0.835 0.840 0.880 0.904 0.940. Many choices, most of those rods are piston guided rods as apposed to crankshaft guided rods which are the norm.

Even at 6 inch these rods may be too long, you will need to get the stardard comp height and work backwards from there. As to rod stroke ratios, 1.80 is the change over point from short to long. So 1.8 is middle ground and is a good figure for revs upto 8000 rpm. You will note engines revving harder will have longer rod stroke ratios.

Cheers Greg

I think the sleeves may be much much thinner than 3-4.7mm. Looking from the inside, the sleeves would appear to about 1-2mm at best. It's hard to say as I can't get anything close to it to measure it right now.

2UZ FE .070 rod 'off-set' ?

Hi to all I posted this idea some months back and I have now bought the pistons and the rods but it is for my Porsche V8 as I decided to drop the Lexus motor and keep my car authentic. The Honda style Chevy rods are also 48mm or 1.888". My rods and pistons are Nascar derived. My capacity went from 4.7 liters to 5.7 liters, the motor was bored and stroked.rod_comparison.jpg
piston_comparison_top_view.jpg
piston_rod_assemblies_side_view.jpg
piston_rod_assemblies.jpg

The last photo really sets out well how you achieve this extra stroke, BTW the rod to stroke ratio in this engine is still a repectable 1.84 to 1. There is pistons available that have an even higher compression height. On ebay you can buy these Honda Rods but no shorter than 6 inch second hand, they can have the right width, i.e 0.903" but there is many different widths so becareful.

A custom crank (billet) will cost between 2 to 3k not 1k as somebody eluded to and Mahle have the correct coating to work with the MMC walls of the 3 uz. They also make custom pistons that are the finest in the world, superlight and strong, remember when it comes to piston design, when did Arias or JE or the like win an F1 race. Accralite or perfect bore make excellent pistons but not a coating to work with the MMC bore, with a stardard steel bore all pistons will work. As to the material I prefer 4032 for these short skirt style pistons as you can run a really tight clearance and keep the piston stable.

Cheers Greg

I'm reading that the 2UZ FE con rods run a .070 'off-set'.

Do any of these NASCAR rods running the 48mm or Chevy journal size have
this correct off-set ?

The biggest reason why the 98+ 1uz/3uz have more power over the early 1uz is the cylinder head design. Even 2uz cylinder heads will wipe ported early 1uz heads all over the floor.