My custom header gains

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

DenZel

hey guys just thought i would post my results..can get some pics later on too if you want, but just thought i'd tell you what gains i got from the headers.

i have a ma61 1uz, pretty much stock beside exhaust and poddy. made 181rwhp.

just got the custom headers done, now has 209rwhp.

If you are in aus perth, highly recommend MCE motorsport in wangara.

now just my itbs and ecu to go.

iv had terry do all the exhaust on my cars from when he was first in mindarie. he defanatly knows what he is doing. i would like to see how his mustang looks now he was going all out on that thing.

Out of interest what did they cost.

Sometimes I think it is cheaper to have custom ones made rather than muck around with pre-made pipes and start chopping.

Man thats an excellent improvement. thats netting you around 30rwhp. Great mod bro, wish I could yank mine out of mine and start fabbing like a mad scientist :scratchchin: What style did you follow? shorty? tri-y? 4-1?

Yeah, I noticed some pretty good gains at topend too when I first installed my S&S headers on my 1uz-fe... Lost a bit of lowend torque though in the process...

Denzel Washington - 28 rwhp is alot for just headers...WOW... I am sure that's more then I made.. I was thinking maybe 20whp at most..

Yeah, I noticed some pretty good gains at topend too when I first installed my S&S headers on my 1uz-fe... Lost a bit of lowend torque though in the process...

Denzel Washington - 28 rwhp is alot for just headers...WOW... I am sure that's more then I made.. I was thinking maybe 20whp at most..

Jibbby, don't forget to mention that you also went with 2.5" downpipes and eliminated your primary cats when you did your header install. Both of those changes will usually reduce low end torque noticeably. Most people that only install the S&S headers with otherwise stock cats and Y pipe report no loss and infact some report an improvement in low end. Of course on an SC the stock parts must be replaced as it is not a direct fit like the GS4xx or SC430 cars. So, to keep the low end on an SC400 small aftermarket cats (like the ones I suggested to you) along with 2.00" downpipes should be used. This would keep the low end torque will giving the top end gains. If someone choose 2.25" downpipes there may be a small loss in low end.

I'm not complaining about losing a little lowend torque with the header install, as I still have lowend traction problems when I use the nitrous system on my Sc400... With my Dragon torque converter installed I can still spin those rears in first gear at launch without the nitrous..

Yes JB, your right as my entire exhaust system is high flowing and not in stock form with the S&S Headers install, and that does make a difference.. Come to think of it I even lost a tiny little lowend torque when I changed out my center cat to a high flowing cat and high flowing Y's if you can believe that.... Gained more topend overall though... Changing the mufflers to straight thru's I seemed to just gain topend power so go figure?

24072008016zi4.jpg

24072008017zd6.jpg

24072008009zt7.jpg

24072008010jc1.jpg

24072008011na3.jpg

Great pictures. Cool project.

The headers look to be fairly small diameter pipe. 1.5" or 1.625" OD. If you get the chance to measure that would be good information.

The ITB's look strong. Looks like they do not use any of the stock manifolding which is probably best. Do you plan on filtration?

I'm not complaining about losing a little lowend torque with the header install, as I still have lowend traction problems when I use the nitrous system on my Sc400... With my Dragon torque converter installed I can still spin those rears in first gear at launch without the nitrous..

Yes JB, your right as my entire exhaust system is high flowing and not in stock form with the S&S Headers install, and that does make a difference.. Come to think of it I even lost a tiny little lowend torque when I changed out my center cat to a high flowing cat and high flowing Y's if you can believe that.... Gained more topend overall though... Changing the mufflers to straight thru's I seemed to just gain topend power so go figure?

What I am saying is that you did NOT loose low end from the headers. When you post that you lost lowend from the header install it leaves the impression that the headers where the cause. They are not. It was removing the stock cats and going to large downpipes that reduced velocity and hurt the low end power.

The reason for the loss with your "high flow" center cat is more because you removed the stock Y pipe. I have explained in other threads that the stock Y pipe is a good part for engines under 300hp and then some. The headers on a supercharged GS430 with the SAME size stock Y pipe gained quite a bit of power.

The farther you get from the engine the less important pipe size becomes. Heck, at the end of the tailpipes the pipe size goes infinite! Of course restrictive mufflers will create backpressure and reduce peak power. That is why you didn't feel a loss of low end when you only replaced your mufflers.

JB, thanks for the muffler information as that makes sense...

JB, let me ask you something? Who in their right mind would spend a ton of money on headers and installation and not touch the rest of their stock exhaust system?...See my point...So my post is valid and does apply even with my after market exhaust setup... Greatly Increased exhaust flow often results in low end torque and or lowend power reduction in most motors, and that is common knowledge... However, the upside is the topend is usually greatly increased...

This occured not only in my SC400 but also in my past prior cars when upgrading the exhausts, Landcruisers, 300z twin, Chevy Nova SS, and a Pontiac Firebird Formula convertible.. My theory has always been the best exhaust is no exhaust, but that way of thinking sometimes backfires..

I must say I often wondered how absolutely gutless "my SC400" with my current exhaust system would have been off the line if had kept and stayed with the stock torque converter and no nitrous... Now that would have been down right ugly...

Upgraded performance cams can also reduce the lowend power...

Proper fitting upgraded exhaust may be the trick, but not every one properly fits their exhaust just right, they just go with bigger piping then what is needed, straighten it out, headers short and long, etc.. and in the end they hope for great results..

I am sure JB, that you can setup a highflowing exhaust system on any SC400 that may not lose any lowend low rpm power... Then again I don't think the topend power would be as great as mine either.. Finding a good balance to all mods can be tricky at times..

Jibbby, you find yourself locked into the mindset that bigger must flow more and must make more power. I am not sure anything I say no matter how well intentioned will change your mind.

Alas, I will try to illustrate.

Who in their right mind would spend a ton of money on headers and installation and not touch the rest of their stock exhaust system?

Actually, I recommend to MOST GS4xx owners too keep their stock Y pipe. These cars make around 60rwhp MORE than early SC400s stock. 70-80rwhp after the header install. The stock GS4xx Y pipe has the same dimensions as the early SC400... 50mm twins into single 60mm. Some have ran 350+-rwhp with superchargers on the STOCK Y pipe.

I am CERTAIN a better than stock system can be designed BUT most will not know how to do so. I have stopped recommending bigger pipes for most cars.

...See my point...So my post is valid and does apply even with my after market exhaust setup... Greatly Increased exhaust flow often results in low end torque and or lowend power reduction in most motors, and that is common knowledge... However, the upside is the topend is usually greatly increased...

What exactly is "greatly" increased flow or power? How do you know? What testing? What was the before and after backpressure at the exhaust port for the power curve?

Don't take this as an insult as your "feeling" is common and understandable just misapplied. Consider Bernoulli's principal often refered to as the venturi effect. As the air speed increases the pressure decreases. This is how an airplane wing creates lift and a carburetor pulls fuel from the float bowl. The concept doesn't "feel" right but is inarguable.

Another "visual" would be a modified carburetor. Carbs are rated in CFM (cubic feet per minute) of flow at a given pressure drop (pressure above carb higher than below). Take for example a 750 CFM carb and smooth and improve the aerodynamics through the carb. Even with the SAME diameter butterfly valves the CFM rating goes up... maybe to 900 CFM. The pressure drop is the SAME for the testing so the ONLY way to make this happen is increase the velocity. Now, the carb will support MORE peak power but have the same internal diameter at the butterflies.

The SAME thing can be done with exhaust. A maximized 2.00" system can flow as much as less than optimized larger system. In some cases MORE if the larger system is poor. It is not always easy to spot a POOR system without understanding WHY and HOW the systems ACTUALLY work. Now, with the exhaust you want the smallest size that will support the peak power. Any larger will not make more peak power and will only hurt power everywhere else.

Proper fitting upgraded exhaust may be the trick, but not every one properly fits their exhaust just right, they just go with bigger piping then what is needed, straighten it out, headers short and long, etc.. and in the end they hope for great results..

You are right, this is what most people do and of course the key word being HOPE.

I am sure JB, that you can setup a highflowing exhaust system on any SC400 that may not lose any lowend low rpm power... Then again I don't think the topend power would be as great as mine either.. Finding a good balance to all mods can be tricky at times..

I dictated certain key parts of the design of the S&S headers you are using (1.5" primary size, merge intersections) with the goal of great peak power without low rpm power loss. I would be glad to take you up on your challenge giving time and funding.

Here is a real world example for you to consider:
There was a member here that put the S&S headers on his early SC400 along with dual 2.5" into a Dr.Gas 2.5 into 3.00" Y pipe and then back into dual 2.5"s. That system would flow more than yours. He was very dissapointed in the torque and midrange. He replaced it with dual 2.00" duals into a 2.5" center pipe WITH a single mid cat and back into dual 2.00"s. He reported the car came ALIVE and was faster EVERYWHERE. Go figure.

JB, I won't even begin to battle exhaust wits with you... You are the undisputed king of exhaust on this forum...

I do keep an open mind and actually agree with everything you said..I just stated prior to owning these lexus's my thinking was always no exhaust is the best exhaust... Bigger is better... I fully understand that is not the case...

It is clear to me that bigger is not always better and you don't need to tell me that... Keep up the good work JB and pass on the knowledge on to others like me..

So where do you think I can improve on my exhaust system?

I've got the S&S headers, which go into straight down pipes same sizing, deletion of the two little cats, same size piping then runs into the main high flowing center cat (magnaflow) which includes the high flowing Y, then it goes into the 2.50" non mandrell rear section piping that doesn't have major cripping at the turns and is fairly straightened out.. I did that because I did not want to spend a ton of cash on prefabbed mandrel 2.25" piping... I have a couple of 2.50" high flowing resonators mounted as well to help with sound reduction as well... Finishing off the exhaust is the two 2.50" N1 Magen straight thru mufflers... I would say the results are it flows pretty damn well at topend...

Any suggestions? My topend was "greatly" improved over stock, and now I would venture to say lowend is about the same or less then the former complete stock setup..

Oh and JB, I've owned many of these Sc400's thru my dealer years, and I can clearly feel the changes after each exhaust change, burnout lengths from take off with my current SC4, freeway power after a downshift, pull prior to and after each exhaust mod... That indicates to me when lowend is lost and topend power is gained.. I am in tune with my car as it is my daily driver, and it is safe too say my butt dyno on my SC4 feel is a very reliable source, as some may not think so....