Mr.2 swap????

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Drangdin

T,

Do you know where I could source a 6 speed that could be hooked to a 2zz in a 1st gen mr2? Also did you have any driveshaft issues putting it in the AW11? Which shafts did you use? Sorry for all the questions but I have a very real possiblity of getting a 2zz for super cheap in the next few weeks so I am seriously considering this option.

Have you looked at the Avalon (I think that is what your V6 front wheel drive big Toyota sedan is called) as the Hilux trans fits the 1UZ bell housing I don't see why you couldn't use the transaxle.

The Camry (as we Aussies know it) comes in 4 speed auto and 5 speed manual format. All our Avalons are auto but it uses the same engine as the Camry.

porcshe g50? cost you an arm and a leg though... pretty sure you can get a bellhousing for it too as some kit cars use this particular combo....

I think everyone has missed the point here.

We are looking for an East-West transaxle for an MR2. Unlsess you want to run a Ferrari or Lamborghini transaxle you are forced to look at front wheel dive units. I know there are other mid engined transaxles but none to handle the torque we are looking at.

A G50 is logitudinal and mounts in front of the engine. You would need to turn it upside down to mount it after the engine.

Do they work like that, with the oil seals, filler points,and breathers (if any) meant for it being the other side up? I'll see if a late model sw20 tranny'll work.

Drizt said:
A north star 4.6DOHC has been done...'
Yeah, Bill Stong from the mr2 owners club did that swap. He justified it because the Northstar v8 was designed by yamaha just like the 4a and 3s engines in the mr2s. The northstar comes only with an automatic tranny which is something that I don't like. I was hoping for something easy and cheap. I think there is a tranny that'll fit from toyota. I think i'll wait till i get the engine first to start worrying about it more.

Why not awd?

If there aren't any transmissions that are feasible in that configuration why not go with an AWD transmission like the one in the WRX? Take out the fuel tank/ modify it. Go fuel cell. Weld in a subframe in the front trunk and figure out a way to shift the sucker. Whatcha think fellas? Make our own mini gallardo!

The WRX box would not cope with the torque.

A Renault 30 box would. I think Saker Cars use them in their majic weapons. If this is correct it would mean adaptors may be available and they will have sorted the shifter problems.

There are a couple of Saker owners who are members of this Forum.

I wouldn't exactly say the northstar has been 'done'. I have been keeping an eye on Bill's website and like the idea. He has a ton more work to go to finish it though - and quite a few issues to sort out before it is finished which I am very keen to see how he gets around them.

You would not get that Northstar MR2 legally registed in Australia the way the mods are done. The size of the engine for the car is not the problem, it is how the mods were done.

My biggest concern with Bill Strong's project is how is he going to get all those wheels at the right angles, there is far too much camber on the rear at the moment and he doesn't seem to be allowing adjustment to remove it.

Whilst it may work, the engine cradle thing isn't exactly pretty and I don't know how much design went into the mods to it.

Not to discourage though, I am keen to see it working.