MLS question (oozing head gasket )

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Dude I had mine buttoned up and it took me 2 weeks to decide she was boost ready, I started thinking of the "what-ifs" and if I blew something I would have to walk in the snow to school so I was a little weary. But yeah I will admit colorado winters make it hard to diagnose a coolant leak... every car puts out clouds at idle! I was told by a friend when we were playing around on the freeway that he saw some white smoke when I redlined mine, but I think that was the 3rd time being boosted so I thought it was residual fluids. Steve, what did you use to clean the old gasket material off your deck? Maybe a little leftover material causing a small void? I used a flap wheel and a dremel with some acetone.

I think the MLS gaskets are picky customers... needing a very smooth mirrir like surface from deck and head. I also feel that they take a little time to seal between the 2. I mean I had this "wet" corner that had obvious green coolant suspended all the time... plain sight. Once I re-torqued from 45lb to 75lb I waited a week and never saw the wetness again.

Hey I would grab a friend and have him/her slowly rev your car up to low boost a few times while you check from the back. If no leaks try a quick redline pull while behind your car. Only think I could find now when I floor mine is a SUPER rich smell right after a redline pull, 2 clicks off my FMU and the rich smell went away.

If you keep consuming coolant I would think it could be a slightly warped head. I leaned last semester that aluminum heads should not have any more than .003'' in any direction. I mean I blew mine on the freeway 5mins away from my garage and I drove her like a maniac, cutting off cars... blowing lights and I had one eye glued on my temp gauge and it never got up too high. Even tho mine was never "over heated" it was still a few thousandths off.

I didn't wait at all after putting everything back together. Boost was in the order the minute the car left the driveway. :eek:mfg:

When I first put everything back together from scratch, I used the air dremel with a buffer to clean off the old gasket residuals. I made it like shiny surface. I didn't take off the heads for the re-torqueing so there's no cleaning. I took David for a ride this morning and I didn't see any white smoke no more. However, I had to put in a little cooolant earlier. I'm crossing my fingers.

I seem to get these weird coolant levels myself and it was messing with my head. I would fill to full and then after a hard romp across town it would be 1/2''-1'' low. The wierd part is that if I left it low it would never get any lower than that w/ no leaks/drips to speak of. Once I open the rad cap and let it sit it will mysteriously rise back to full. As if nothing ever happened.

Yah. The coolant level on this car seems weird. Your description about it is correct. I think the only way to know if it's full is its level stays high in the reservoir when the car is running and hot. Well, hoping yours and mine leaks are gone so we can start boosting more.

When you come down here, let me know how your supercharged ride is.

I'm just getting ready to head back the end of the week. This summer break I get 3 months off and plan to work back in CA. I hope by then I managed to successfully finish this 4.7 swap. If not then i'll be hauling it back for a swap at davids. I figure the heavier block will limit me to straight line freeway romps but thats what it was built for. But yeah we should exchange shotgun rides whenever the time comes!

If you get the 4.7 engine finished, you can haul it back here. David and I will help you get it done in 1 day. All we need is Vietnamese coffee style. :yumyum:

The heads stay tight now. No more coolant leakage. :arms: I guess Cometic MLS or copper head gaskets need to be re-torqued no matter what ft/lb you torque them the first time. I did the compression test and all cylinders are from 182-185 psi. The repair manual says 185 psi and the lowest is 155 psi. So I think I'm in good shape, especially with thicker head gaskets. My compression ratio could be around 9:1 according to Cometic. I boosted crazy and then my turbo broke the seals..Yuck..Another down time.

That sucks about the seals, but knowing the engine will take it is all the world. I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't get valve interference from oem 2uz short block and pistons, don't want thicker HG's unless I absolutely have too.

If I decide to wait until summer Steve and David are the guys i'm hittin' up. Vietnamese style? No problemo