Michigan 1UZ - MkIII Supra swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

milisakeracing

I thought I started a project diary here but apparently I forgot too. :pat:

The 1UZ-Powered Supras site (http://1uzsupra.com) will follow my project build as I swap out the 7M-GTE engine in my 1987 Toyota Supra for a Lexus SC400 1UZ-FE engine. I will keep a detailed project log here on the site for all to view and refer to as well as provide links to various sources such as other enthusiasts’ projects, automotive forums, and vendors.

I am currently looking at a multi-stage build-out:

Stage 1 (Year 1, November 2007 - April 2008)
Get the motor installed with the R154 manual tranny, wired, and running by the spring thaw. This will require engine mount fabrication, bell housing adapter fabricated, new exhaust, hybrid wiring harness, ECU, misc. hoses and cables, electric fan setup with thermostatic switch plus manual switch in parallel for backup, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. If I want to keep it, A/C will also have to be re-plumbed and recharged as well.

After washing the Supra one last time, I pulled it into the garage and began the arduous task of removing the 7M-GTE engine on November 17, 2007. I have most steps of this helpful list completed with the exception of the heater core hoses, rear intake vacuum hose near the EGR, unbolting the motor mounts and transmission cross brace, and all of the interior steps. These last few items will be completed next weekend when the engine is pulled. Note to self: purchase fender mats to protect against scratching.

MkIII Supra weight

Weighed in the Supra with a half tank of gas. The official weight of my 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo Targa is 3600lbs. The only pieces missing from the car are a couple of the rear hatch pieces, rear speakers, and the secondary catalytic converter. The scale was calibrated with a +/- 10lb tolerance.

I thought I started a project diary here but apparently I forgot too. :pat:

The 1UZ-Powered Supras site (http://1uzsupra.com) will follow my project build as I swap out the 7M-GTE engine in my 1987 Toyota Supra for a Lexus SC400 1UZ-FE engine. I will keep a detailed project log here on the site for all to view and refer to as well as provide links to various sources such as other enthusiasts’ projects, automotive forums, and vendors.

I am currently looking at a multi-stage build-out:

Stage 1 (Year 1, November 2007 - April 2008)
Get the motor installed with the R154 manual tranny, wired, and running by the spring thaw. This will require engine mount fabrication, bell housing adapter fabricated, new exhaust, hybrid wiring harness, ECU, misc. hoses and cables, electric fan setup with thermostatic switch plus manual switch in parallel for backup, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. If I want to keep it, A/C will also have to be re-plumbed and recharged as well.
Hehehe. I've actually wanted to swap a 7M-GTE into my LS400. Strange world, eh? :D

Hehehe. I've actually wanted to swap a 7M-GTE into my LS400. Strange world, eh? :D

Very strange. Reminds me of the time I owned first generation RX-7's. Stateside owners seem to want the FB rear seat instead of the storage compartments and Aussies want the storage compartments instead of the FB rear seat.

No progress to note lately. I have a flywheel, adapter plate, 1UZ engine harness, ecu, afm, and igniters all ordered and are pending arrival sometime within the next week or two. Will put up pictures as parts arrive :)

You do know that adaptor is for bolting JZ bellhousings to the 1UZ ?

If your R154 has a 7M bellhousing on it, it won't work.
You need to get a JZ R154 bellhousing for it to work.

If you knew this already, and have a JZ bellhousing, then sorry for questioning.

To adapt any R154 to the 1UZ you either need this
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/R154_to_1UZFE_Gearbox_Ad-R154_to_1UZFE_Adaptor.asp
and a stock bellhousing.

Or purchase a full bellhousing from either Castlemaine Rodshop or Dellow Automotive in Australia.

You do know that adaptor is for bolting JZ bellhousings to the 1UZ ?

If your R154 has a 7M bellhousing on it, it won't work.
You need to get a JZ R154 bellhousing for it to work.

If you knew this already, and have a JZ bellhousing, then sorry for questioning.

To adapt any R154 to the 1UZ you either need this
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/R154_to_1UZFE_Gearbox_Ad-R154_to_1UZFE_Adaptor.asp
and a stock bellhousing.

Or purchase a full bellhousing from either Castlemaine Rodshop or Dellow Automotive in Australia.

Thanks for the concern Peewee, already aware of this and have automated searches running on various message boards, eBay, and Craigslist for a 1jz bell housing as well. I would prefer to purchase inside the US rather than deal with international shipping unless I absolutely have to (like if I cannot source a 1jz bell housing soon).

Fair enough.

I would have thought that the cost of the TTC adaptor, plus the cost of a JZ bellhousing would have far outweighed the inconvenience of an international purchase. (Thor Racing adaptor is $500USD plus shipping and a clutch fork setup, and Aussie bellhousings are a bit less than that)

That said, the way you are going you can bolt up a V160 one day without having to purchase another adaptor.

Fair enough.

I would have thought that the cost of the TTC adaptor, plus the cost of a JZ bellhousing would have far outweighed the inconvenience of an international purchase. (Thor Racing adaptor is $500USD plus shipping and a clutch fork setup, and Aussie bellhousings are a bit less than that)

That said, the way you are going you can bolt up a V160 one day without having to purchase another adaptor.

If the V160 prices ever drop, it will be a definite consideration. Another plus for having this adapter. Besides, I also got a good deal on one of the adapters so I couldn't pass it up. I think in the end, the bell housing, the adapter, and clutch kit will come in around $950-$1000. This is if I can find a bell housing for a decent price.

Flywheel arrived today! Below are the pictures of it being unboxed and expected. Just a couple of critiques which I will list at the bottom.

The picture above shows an indentation in the flywheel where a vise or some other odject must have been used to hold the flywheel in place during machining. Should not affect the flyhweel.

The picture above shows the opposite side of the flywheel with another indentation in the flywheel where a vise or some other odject must have been used to hold the flywheel in place during machining. This is opposite the first mark. Should not affect the flyhweel.

The above picture shows a knick in the contact surface at the inner diameter. The metal does protrude a bit here but since it is located on the very edge of where most clutches will make contact I doubt it will be an issue.

Further critiques than those mentioned above. The un-threaded and threaded holes alike have metal debris in them which will need to be blown out and chased out. The central eight (8) holes were still machined inwards, created oval-like holes. As long as this does not put the flywheel off center, it should be a non-issue.

I am no materials expert, nor have I looked at other flywheels, but are the outer ring of holes too close to the edge of the flywheel. In another words, could side and/or torsional loading ever create stress fractures at these locations? Just a thought and again I am no expert.

Even with the above observations and critiques, I am impressed with the product. It will need to be cleaned and degreased before installation (any recommendations?) and I look forward to running it in the Supra. For those wondering, the flywheel weighed in at 20lbs on my uncalibrated bathroom scale :)

About your question, No, should not be any issue's with cracking or anything. All in all, there is not really a whole lot of load applied in that area any ways.

Thanks for the pictures, They actually answered a though that I was pondering. That is just a modified factory toyota flywheel. I dont recall exactly, but I want to say late 80's, early 90's 3.0L 4runner flywheel. You commented about the bolt holes be machined inward, actually most likely outward. No this will not effect centering of the flywheel. The pilot bearing spigot on the crank is what centers the flywheel. The only issure that could arise is that the holes were not machined outward far enough and therefor the bolts will not thread into the crank.

About your question, No, should not be any issue's with cracking or anything. All in all, there is not really a whole lot of load applied in that area any ways.

Thanks for the pictures, They actually answered a though that I was pondering. That is just a modified factory toyota flywheel. I dont recall exactly, but I want to say late 80's, early 90's 3.0L 4runner flywheel. You commented about the bolt holes be machined inward, actually most likely outward. No this will not effect centering of the flywheel. The pilot bearing spigot on the crank is what centers the flywheel. The only issure that could arise is that the holes were not machined outward far enough and therefor the bolts will not thread into the crank.

Thanks for the comments Chris. By the way, I measured Eric's adapter today and it does come out to 19mm (rough tape measure measurement is 0.75 inches = 19.05 millimeters) so if the reference I found on the 1jz bell housing is correct at 171mm, then this all works out!

Thanks for the comments Chris. By the way, I measured Eric's adapter today and it does come out to 19mm (rough tape measure measurement is 0.75 inches = 19.05 millimeters) so if the reference I found on the 1jz bell housing is correct at 171mm, then this all works out!

yep, sounds like it will work quite fine as long as the 171mm dim. is correct. Have you found a bellhousing yet?

yep, sounds like it will work quite fine as long as the 171mm dim. is correct. Have you found a bellhousing yet?

Not yet. Figured I'd let the budget recover from the holidays before really searching. I have search agents set up on eBay, craigslist, here, supramania, clublexus, and supraforums (to name a few) which send me messages daily or almost daily related to my search terms. Driftmotion supposedly has them and someone has mentioned Jeff at Champion Toyota as well. If I do not find one used soon, I'll be calling down to Jeff first.

Not yet. Figured I'd let the budget recover from the holidays before really searching. I have search agents set up on eBay, craigslist, here, supramania, clublexus, and supraforums (to name a few) which send me messages daily or almost daily related to my search terms. Driftmotion supposedly has them and someone has mentioned Jeff at Champion Toyota as well. If I do not find one used soon, I'll be calling down to Jeff first.

yeah, from my understanding Jeff can get them. You might also check some of the importers that import 1JZ engines. They might have one or might be able to get you one.

Thanks to Aliga (Gazi), more parts arrived this week! Starting to get closer to putting stuff together now. The big item I am waiting for is the 1JZ - R154 bell housing so I can bolt together the engine and transmission. I will start feeling like I have accomplished something more than just collecting parts once I have that step completed. It is a definite milestone to this type of project since the engine never came out with a manual transmission.

1UZ-FE ECU

1UZ-FE AFM (also know as the Lexus AFM to the Supra owners) + air filter enclosure

1UZ-FE wiring harness

1UZ-FE Intake plumbing

1UZ-FE Igniter twin pack