Standalone ECU Megasquirt- sorting out the details

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

shadetree

I just bought a '77 celica. I have a line on a 1uz-fe for a pretty good price which I hope to pick up this week. I plan to turbo it, shooting for 400hp or so. This definitely will be my most involved project so far. I'm excited.
mischievous.gif

I was planning on using Megasquirt kits for spark, fuel, relay board, and wiring harness for simplicity. I'd like to get started on the wiring harness, ecu, and relays right away. I was planning on using the V3 board. I'm not sure if I need, or should use the megasquirtn'spark daughter board. It supports 2 o2 sensors and EGT input, which would be nice.

I am planning on using ford EDIS coilpacks for spark.

I was hoping to use the rest of the toyota stock sensors.

I have not figured out which injectors to use. I would like 450cc, high impetance, cheap and readily available used parts.

Megasquirt kit v3
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-engine-management-system-wpcb3-unassembled-p-59.html
Relay board kit
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirt-relay-board-unassembled-p-31.html
harness
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/...ready-p-43.html
relay cable
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirti-relay-cable-p-47.html
stimulator
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirt-stimulator-unassembled-p-30.html

I'd like to get the ball rolling on this. Thanks for any advice.
v3ext_wiring.gif

http://msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=9301&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=1uzfe&start=0

wow, looks like your pretty good at that. and what wire powers the computer? as far as i can tell, its the one that comes from the O2 sensor.

Anaema said:
wow, looks like your pretty good at that. and what wire powers the computer? as far as i can tell, its the one that comes from the O2 sensor.
I didn't make that picture, it's from the megasquirt FAQ's. I am definitely not an expert, but hope to learn alot about EFI from this project.

I'm pretty sure the red line going from the Main Relay to #28 is the ecu power source.

Keep this up. Because I think AEM is very expensive right know for me and I have been wanting to do this for a while but I was scared to take the dive. Later

Here's some info on Megasquirt 'n Spark and the EDIS coil pack system.
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/edis-hardware.html

I will be updating this thread as I make progress, or just to add informative links.

I still don't have an engine. Buddy did not like my lowball offer. Last week the dryer crapped out, so I had to drop $1300 at Sears for new front load washer and dryer. I definitely had more exciting plans for that cash.
shrug.gif

Here is a pretty picture.
mt-mainscreen.jpg

keep us the good work, i also have a 77 celica which i had originally thought of doing a 1uz conversion, then i just got an sc400 instead, but i can wait to see how this goes, someday i'll get back to the celica.

I am very exciting of your project. keep it updated. how much cost you that EDIS ignition?
Jerry

Megasquirt vs others

shadetree said:
Got a complete EDIS-8 coil pack ignition.
3515124240.jpg

This is what I ordered.
pixel_trans.gif

9 pin M-F serial cable, six foot
MegaSquirt II ECU kit v3.0
MegaSquirt Relay Board kit
MegaSquirt Stimulator kit
pixel_trans.gif

The kits include connectors. I'm not sure whether I'm going to get a harness kit. Just the color coded and labeled wires seem like they are worth the $68.
I looked at the megasquirt, but by the time you buy the good kit ($500), build it (hopefully without killing it, get a ford edis system you are probably going to spend $800 to $1000. You then have to wire it, program it (with some help but it's limited and your working of questionable and sometimes contardicting advice from a forum (as you don't know them, they are mostly amatuers like us). I nearly bought it and then realised I can get an Aussie computer for $1200 - $1600 (less if you shop for second hand on ebay) that is compatible with most if not all the sensors on the 1uz (I'm talking Haltech E6x, Wolf 3d, EMS 8860 etc).

Just my 2 cents worth - what did I get, an as new 8860 - so I'll let you know how it goes later, but compatible with all sensors, datalogging, 6 extra outputs, extra inputs etc.

Ed

after looking at megasquirt web page and ebay there is prices:
megasquirt V3 assembeld and checked: 300-400$
relay box: 100$
edis 8: 130$
innovative LC1 (wideband O2 sensor with controller): 200$
that is about 750-850$

more questinable is with processor use????
sure MSII processor is better cause about 100 times faster that 68HC first gen processor and can control idle step motor (IAC),

BUT

first gen processor and lates programs (MSnS-E) can use knock sensor, traction control and ect...

BUT I do not know if it can controll IAC motor. so as always dillema... MSII is better but lack good program yet (say Knock sensor, trac ctrl and so on)

One more queston:
where you want mount 36-1 trigger for ford EDIS8? and how? on 1UZ crank pulley?

Jerry

edz said:
I looked at the megasquirt, but by the time you buy the good kit ($500), build it (hopefully without killing it, get a ford edis system you are probably going to spend $800 to $1000.
Ed
I'm not sure where you are getting your prices from.

I spent:
$141.. shipped, Complete Ford EDIS setup, from Ebay.
$369...shipped, MS2 kit, relay board kit, stim, cable, from Glen's garage.
=
$510 and that includes the relay board, which is not needed for cars that are already fuel injected. That is the "good kit", MS2, v3.0 board. It does cost more if you buy it assembled and tested.

I already have a laptop and WB o2. I have a bit of experience with programmable FI, but am looking to learn more.

I see the value of a 1uz engine as being right around $500-700. I have a hard time spending 2X, 3X the value of the engine on the ECU.

Jerry, the trigger wheel mounts on the crank pulley. I was planning on bolting it to the pulley.

I do not know with way go: stand alone ie megasquirt or piggy smt7....
Shadetree: can "smaler" processor with MSnS-E control stepper motor for idle?

is your setup going to remove teh dizzys and teh distributor sensor for #1 TDC, and just use the EDIS wheel for all of it? How about MAP sensor?

I was also looking at a bolt-on trigger wheel for the EDIS on the 1UZ...

No, MS1 cannot control a stepper motor. MSII can.

All the sensors are pictured in the first diagram I posted.
Throttle position
Air Temp
Coolant Temp
Oxygen
The MAP sensor is built in to the MS board.
And VR sensor is all that is needed for EDIS. I am not sure if I am going to mount the 36-1 ford trigger wheel and vr sensor, or whether I can reuse the stock lex wheel and sensor. There is code to condition the vr signal. I need to look into it some more.

MS allows you to specify the voltage range for the sensors. I think I will be able to use most of the stock lexus stuff. I am not sure about the TPS, because there is a main sensor and a subsensor.

My engine is supposed to arrive thurs or fri. I cannot wait.

subsensor is for second plate that is for trac ctrl. it is not needed for engine. trac ctrl ecu just want know how position that plate s. if you do not want stock trac ctrl you can just simple remove that plate as mk4 supra guys doing.

shadetree said:
No, MS1 cannot control a stepper motor. MSII can.

All the sensors are pictured in the first diagram I posted.
Throttle position
Air Temp
Coolant Temp
Oxygen
The MAP sensor is built in to the MS board.
And VR sensor is all that is needed for EDIS. I am not sure if I am going to mount the 36-1 ford trigger wheel and vr sensor, or whether I can reuse the stock lex wheel and sensor. There is code to condition the vr signal. I need to look into it some more.

MS allows you to specify the voltage range for the sensors. I think I will be able to use most of the stock lexus stuff. I am not sure about the TPS, because there is a main sensor and a subsensor.

My engine is supposed to arrive thurs or fri. I cannot wait.
Is there a vacuum line going to the main board that does the MAP? I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to tap that off properly when I clean up the engine. I want to remove everything that isn't essential to making the engine run in the old car it's going into.

The Lexus uses the crank wheel and a sensor on the cam for cam timing of the ignition (to give TDC, apparently). I want to do away with the distributors and that sender, and just use a crank trigger wheel. and use the Ford coils. Whether that's going to be the Ford wheel or the stock Lexus wheel (which would be cool, but it doesn't have a -1 or -2 to tell #1 TDC) remains to be seen. That's why I'm watching your setup so closely. If I can use the MS&S board and the Ford EDIS to run the injection and ignition, then it'll be an easy swap into the old Comet.