Manual gearbox suitable for conversion possibly for sale....

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

R-Jay

im waiting on my r154 supra turbo 5 speed to come from the states...

was wondering if any other people in Australia are after a gearbox for a manual conversion....

i might buy a couple of them and have them sent here in one go to make it abit cheaper...

any interest?? These go for between $1500-$2000 here in australia... JMS sell them for 2 grand and so do most of the importers ive asked...

in the end, you'll save a stackload... anywhere up to $1000...

anyhow, if anyone is interested, pm me... i'll see if it's worth the time and trouble... btw, im not doing this for money... it's just that im having a couple of things shipped here, so i figured it wont make me squat, so im doing this to help out other guys....

RJ

Well, im striking up a deal with some stateside shops that have these... im trying to get a good price on a handful of them..... ill post prices as soon as i know them....

btw, Im using a Dellow Automotive 1uzfe->r154 bellhousing kit which comes with everything you'll need to do the conversion, including a custom cast clutch fork and race thrust bearing and washer (these were the weak links in this otherwise tough gearbox)... the kit can be had for $1500 AUD... also comes with made to measure flywheel and clutch.

Another kit you can get locally is from Castlemaine Rod Shop in Victoria... their kit comes in at roughly $1400.... im not sure exactly what that one has as i havent actually seen it... only been told over the phone that it has everything needed for conversion....

Anyhow, ill post pices as soon as i know them...

anyone who is interested, please let me know asap so i dont waste my time if no-one wants them....

RJ

RJ,
talk to Peter on here about Dellow.. be careful - they made his bellhousing the wrong size. Check they have changed.

i spoke to them in person... im not gonna take sides... apparently the problem peter had with them was because he wanted to use his own clutch (os giken twin plate i think) and that didnt fit the kit they made, so peter asked for some custom work to the bellhousing.. that's where they had trouble with communications in terms of measurements....

other than that, if you get the whole kit including their custom flywheel/clutch combo, everything fits nicely... tried and tested and proven...

RJ

Sweet.
I actually spoke to Mark (4camman) who has done it with the CRS kit.. both he and Rod are local, so I will probably go with that. I think he said it was only $1000 with the bellhousing, slave cyl, bearings, flywheel and clutch!

he told me $1400 for every single bit to make the conversion work... the conversion will actually take away the weak points of the original tranny setup... mainly, the clutch fork and thrust bearings are alot tougher than the OEM items....

anyhow... im having heaps of trouble getting any number of these r154's... buying them isnt a problem, but shipping seems to be nearly impossible.... so if anyone out there can direct me to a company that can arrange for pickup and shipping from the states to Sydney, that would be heaps of help...

thanks.

RJ

R-Jay,

I have a friend who ships stuff in all the time.

I will speak to him and find out who he uses.

I get my stuff carried over by a QANTAS Steward I know through the same friend. No none of them are gay!

I'll keep you posted.

R-Jay
I have not heard of problems with the clutch fork and throw out bearing on the R154.
The weakness is the first gear thrust washer.
The only way to replace it is to completly dis-assemble the box, as it is near the end of the main shaft.
Unfortunately you will then need a complete overhaul kit to rebuild it.(very expensive)
Is this the race thrust bearing and washer that you mentioned in your previous post?
If someone has told you about an external fix that does not involve tearing down the box don't beleive them.
If you need any R154 info I have many internal pictures of the box and have rebuilt several of them myself.

mycarhasposessedme thanks for the clearup... yeah ive been fed a fair amount of wrong info lately... anyhow, im trying a coupla other ways to get the boxes shipped here... keep me posted if anyone can help...

RJ

I shipped mine here through a guy in LA. He lives here in Melbourne, and goes over there every month or two, packs containers and ships them here. From memory it was about $160 freight and tax (mostly tax) on my R154.