Manual Conversion (SC400)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi Jt,

Right the bolt hole pattern must be extended outwards 10mm, but that is VERY easy to do by any machine shop, and probably costs $50.00 usd. The ring gear is the same as the 1uz, so the clutch will work.

Here is the information taken from this site on the clutch options...

Flywheels

There are two options for flywheels: 3SGTE or custom made. The 3SGTE flywheel locates snugly onto the crank but needs the pitch circle diameter of the flywheel bolts changing by slotting them slightly. The 3SGTE flywheel is preferred as it takes a larger clutch than the 3SGE. The best thing to do here is to machine down the outer spacer ring fitted to the automatic transmission flexplate and use it as a washer under the flywheel bolt heads. You need to buy new high tensile bolts as the original V8 flexplate bolts will not be long enough.

Note that although the ring gear is the correct diameter and pitch for the V8 starter, the 3SGTE starter motor engages from the opposite side, hence you need to cut a bevel onto the front face of the ring gear. Failure to do so will result in the starter pinion not engaging correctly, and chewing out the ring gear. As crude as it sounds, carefully chamfering the face with a 1 mm cut off disc on an angle grinder works perfectly well. Use the V8 ring gear as a guide for how much to take off.

The 3SGTE flywheel works out to be quite light for the V8 and gives excellent response. Note that the spacer disc normally fitted between the torque converter flex plate and the crank will need to be used with the 3SGTE flywheel in order to place the ring gear in the correct plane for the starter.

Alternatively you can get a flywheel custom made, with or without the ring gear. The ones we use are billet steel with integral ring gear and work really well. I run a lightened one in the Supra and it is excellent

hi cowboy,
I read that too - I try read everything about manual & turbo sc400 ;)
but there is my worry: not sure (perhaps someone cen confirm) I thinking supra mk3 turbo clutch is bigger that 3sgte. so we rather preffer use biger one especially if FI will be added for 1uz. I am not sure if supra mk3 clutch will match to 3sgte flywheel too.

same article by: Phil Bradshaw:
We use an aftermarket heavy duty Hilux clutch set up that has around 2100 lb clamping pressure. We use this clutch set up with all gearboxes, and have found it works very well. It is good for building up leg muscles too!

The 3SGTE clutch has too large an opening to mate correctly with the release bearing, which can lead to premature failure.

can someone tell us how is clamping pressure for supra mk3 turbo clutch? more or less than from hilux? how is clamping pressure for 3s gte?

Jerry

It really depends on your you HP needs. There are single disk 6 puck clutches for the 3s-gte that hold big tq, but have to use a HEAVY pressure plate. Then there are the multidisk clutches that hold around 300lb/ft TQ for every plate there is. Use three plates, and you can hold around 900-1000lb/ft TQ. I use an HKS Triple Plate in my Supra, and the pedal pressure is liughter than stock, but it can hold 1000lb/ft TQ.

Eric

Ok, Cowboy what about the shifter assembly and interior molding replacement/fit, clutch cable, etc.. It has to be more difficult then the sc300 because the 300 already has the clutch assembly, foot pedal and shifter handle in place and ready to go..

Anyway, I agree with you that the sc300,sc400, and even the supra's are basically the same cars (same subframes) and maybe this swap is a sinch... I just want to see what Xirforever has to say about all this first. That is where I am at, and I hope you are still driving that bad arse supra of yours:) It would be a shame to think that it is just sitting in some showroom...He He, "Four Digit Horsepower", SICK!!!!!!

The SC300 we converted to V160 last year started as an automatic...

The SC300, and SC400 have the same cutouts in the footwell for the pedals, you just have to punch them out, and put the pedals in. There's some dremel work to do down there, but nothing extensive.

The shifter lines up perfectly. You;ll need the interior 5 speed console panel, but that's inexpensive. The clutchis hydrolic, and uses a master/ slave cylinder. There's no cables to deal with. The slave cylinder is already attached to the V160, and the master cylinder fit in the stock location.

We have a machine shop prepared to release clutch/ flywheel assemblies (your choice of HKS, RPS, ACT, Southbend, ect...), so please PM me for his number. Things are moving fast with this, so let all hop on board. : )

Eric

This is sounding more promising with each post...I will let you know, thanks for the breakdown, I had no idea the cutouts were in place, it sounds doable...

Thanks Jibby, let me know. The SC - V160 is pretty straight forward. We EVEN have a shop onboard to supply us clutches/ flywheels that are a drop in item. That's right, they will supply the 1uz - V160 clutch of your choice...RPS, ACT, HKS, Southbend, Exedy, ect... and it will fit perfectly onto your 1uz-fe and V160...

The plates are underway in production, so if you wish to purchase, then please let me know before it's too late. Thanks Jibby!

Eric

Cowboy, why couldnt you have come earlier before i bought my R154, now i have to sell it and get the V160 because im going to go that route now lol. It will be so much better and less of a headache now that this adaptor plate went through and i dont have to mess around with a custom flywheel. What happened to the GB thread?

Hi Xir,

I took down the group buy threads in respect for the national retailer who is pruchasing a number of adapter plates. I'm still taking order in an effort to help recoup some of the costs in manufacturing, though. : )

I'm glad to see you're onboard man. : ) Perfect timing now that the manufacturing process has kicked off.

Eric

Cowboy if can you tell me exactly what years and models the V160 tranny comes in for my sc400 swap that would be very helpful in my search to find one? I want to check the yards tomarrow to see if I can locate one. Living in LA, California the car meca I think I can find one of these V160 trannies at a reasonable price, I hope...then I will be in on this group buy, maybe as soon as tomarrow...If you can also provide any tips to look for when purchasing the V160 that also would be appreciated, like what miles on tranny not to exceed, hookups, mounts, etc..or any additional crap off the Supra I would need to make this swap happen. Thanks again.. I would have PM'd you on this one, but your reply may be able to help others too...

Xirforever sorry to hear about your change of plans, I hate when that happens....but it sounds like it is for the best...Good luck and I may be right behind you on this swap in my SC400...

Hi Jibby,

There may be a stray V160 out in the salvage yards out there, you never can tell in California. : ) The V160 came in the 93-98 MKIV TT. There's not much to know when looking into a V160. If all of the gears shift fine, then it's good to go. It'll hold all the power you can toss at it no matter what the milage.

You'll need the master/ slave cylinder from the MKIV Supra, and the pedals from an SC300 5 speed. The pilot bearing is out of the MKIV Supra, also. You'll need to cut your driveshaft, and have it rewelded, but that's small potatoes. Most shops can do that within a day.

It'd be great to have you in the Group Buy, Jibby. Let me know, because I need to have all of the orders confirmed by the weekend. If you're pretty much set on the swap, then please think about confirming as soon as possible. Locating a V160 may take a couple weeks, but at least you'll be prepared with an adapter plate ready to go.

Thanks again Jibby,

Eric

Will do Cowboy!!!!! I use to own a dealership and I still know all the Lexus/Supra junk yards in or around the LA county area. If I can't locate one tomarrow I will be in trouble to find one period. However, I don't think finding one will be the problem, but possibly the price for all this stuff might? Let you know tomarrow....Thanks again..

I want to make an edit to the posts adove in respect to the 3s-gte clutch. The 3s-gte flywheel can be made to work with the V160 and the 1uz, however the 3s-gte clutch is a push type. Thanks fo turboandrew ofr making the catch on that. But the V160 needs a pull type because of where the slave cylinder located.

But.... there's is a solution. One that works out for the best. We start with a 2jz clutch/ flywheel and slot the flywheel holes to be able to fit on the the 1uz crank. Then we machine the 2jz ring gear to accept the 1uz ring gear, and professionally weld the new ring gear into place. All of this modification can be done very affordably. nd you have the option of supplyiing your own clutch if you prefer.

SO there we have it. The adapter plates are in production, and the clutch issue is solved. What are you guys waiting for? : )

Eric

Xir- Where are you at with your manual tranny swap? Just curious....

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 18
  • silver-rear.jpg
    silver-rear.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 12
  • silver-side.jpg
    silver-side.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 13
Well right now trying to find myself a deal on a V160 and trying to sell my R154. Once i find the V160 then im thinking about buying a fidanza 2j flywheel, and ask them to not drill any holes or put on any ring gear. Ill send the flywheel to the shop afore mentioned along with the ring gear i have on my spare flexplate and they can just straight up drill the holes and put on the ring gear. Or i might just buy a stock 2j flywheel, well see. I already have the pedal and master cylinder in, not much i can do now untill i get the tranny. So just collecting parts.