Lsd VS welded diff and trans question

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Nacho_SC400T

What are the advantages of a welded diff as opposed to a torsen lsd?

How much could I expect to pay for a welded diff?

How much is a pita is it on dd compared to an LSD?

Is anyone here running a welded diff?

And also how much power could a 92 sc400 trans hold with a lextreme torque converter, ipt shift kit and twin oil coolers?

Can't be that bad dude, I don't know anyone with a welded diff.

And since there are no advantages apparently what are the disadvantages?

Guys this is simple. Welded diff ok for drag racing, and practically nothing else. ITs just that - welded. You can do yourself with a cheap arc welder. Downside is it will wear the shit out of your tires when you turn, will wheel hop bad at slow speed, and you will tear up your axles and cvs. If this is a street car, just don't. Its that simple. I've run one road racing before, and broken an expensive racing axle in the parking lot due to high grip tires and too much axle wind up. After that, it was LSD all the way. I have a Torsen in my LS.... if you aren't racing, don't bother with either. a Torsen is not cheap either.

PS, for drag racing, they sell a replacement non-diff called a "spool"... lighter than welded, but still solid. You really probably want a locker for light duty drag racing - but I don't there's any to fit a lex?

my buddy had a welded diff in his cressida. he daily drove it. he didnt mind the wheel hop, squeals, or tire wear. he said it was very minor unless youre rying to do a u-turn. but then again that was his opinion. in MY opinion i didnt like the ride it gave, it seemed to "track" for my daily drivers taste. ALSO, my sc400 is a bigger beefier car then a cressida. i think it would be more stressful on the axles/wheel bearings/tires then the lighter smaller cressida. my plan is to have a spare 4:27 welded diff for the weekends while at the track, and my 1 legger open diff until i can bite the bullet and get a torsen LSD.

That's why i was considering it a torsen LSD is out of my budget range at this time. I do use it as a dd but its also my weekend warrior.

I had a welded in my 240 and as long as you have a good alignment, the tire wear is not bad. Welded diffs are good for drifting and if that's what you'll be doing, I doubt you're too concerned with tire wear :)

I had a welded in my 240 and as long as you have a good alignment, the tire wear is not bad. Welded diffs are good for drifting and if that's what you'll be doing, I doubt you're too concerned with tire wear :)

Ditto ^^^ What mods have you done to the car?

I run a spool in the GT8 and while it's definitely not great on the street and i would never recommend one for a daily, it's not the great evil that some make out.

For a track car that sees occasional track use, it's fine and a pretty good piece of gear for all the motorsport varieties i do ie pretty much everything ;)

Save up and get a torsen man it'll be worth it. Also I saw that you go up to phildelphia to race do you race behind the airport?