Trying to find cheap or used/cheap LSD...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Spinnetti

Hi.. Got a SC300 AT 4.27 diff, and now need a cheap LSD for it... If I got this right, its an 8", and fitments for the MKIV Supra TT auto should fit right? Anybody got any leads? I see stuff on ebay - new from OBX, but lists earlier supra, and not a specific SC300 fitment...

TIA..

Just a heads up the sc300 4.27 wont bolt up to the LS. You will need to fab new mounts as their mounting designs are apples/oranges. As for the LSD, yes supra TT is a direct swap but they are pricey even for used. I have been trying to find 1 for the last 6 months and cant find any for less than $750. Most wont sell unless diff is bought also.

Just a heads up the sc300 4.27 wont bolt up to the LS. You will need to fab new mounts as their mounting designs are apples/oranges. As for the LSD, yes supra TT is a direct swap but they are pricey even for used. I have been trying to find 1 for the last 6 months and cant find any for less than $750. Most wont sell unless diff is bought also.

Thanks... I'll fab the mounts. Rear mount same still I hope? As long as some part of it bolts up, I can fab the rest without too much difficulty. I saw a complete Supra LSD rear end on fleabay, but it was for the old supra, and looks like all the mounts were different. I see OBX makes some crap Quaife knockoffs which would be good enough for this purpose, but I don't see a listing for the lex or supra...

I have checked out OBX as they have very good prices for torsen LSD's but zero option for the JZA80 supra. the previous generation yes, but that differential is different too. If your willing to fab mounts, i'd go with the gen III supra diff. LS400 diff is completely irs own, there are zero direct swaps for doing a quick swap.

I'm with ya, my 1991 LS needs one real bad and i would need to source a $1000 used supra diff/housing and then a custom driveshaft and them custom mounts. If your only taking it to the track... just weld it up. Its a big no-no for street use but at the track the negative aspects wont mean much since you need lock almost 100% of the time anyway.

I have checked out OBX as they have very good prices for torsen LSD's but zero option for the JZA80 supra. the previous generation yes, but that differential is different too. If your willing to fab mounts, i'd go with the gen III supra diff. LS400 diff is completely irs own, there are zero direct swaps for doing a quick swap.

I'm with ya, my 1991 LS needs one real bad and i would need to source a $1000 used supra diff/housing and then a custom driveshaft and them custom mounts. If your only taking it to the track... just weld it up. Its a big no-no for street use but at the track the negative aspects wont mean much since you need lock almost 100% of the time anyway.

Welded is ok on track as there are large slip angles (hard on tires though), but when navigating the parking lot, they tend to break axles... Gonna have to find some other method. Do you know what the difference is on the older supra to the SC? - # of bolts, or axle splines or?

The LS has a single, short front mount whereas the sc/supra has 2 wider front mounts. I m 90% sure the rear diff cover bolts will work for both though. Ask forum member Hypronet, he has sucessfully swapped a supra tt diff/lsd into his 1990 LS. He had to custom mount the front housing and had the driveshaft modded/re-balanced.

The LS has a single, short front mount whereas the sc/supra has 2 wider front mounts. I m 90% sure the rear diff cover bolts will work for both though. Ask forum member Hypronet, he has sucessfully swapped a supra tt diff/lsd into his 1990 LS. He had to custom mount the front housing and had the driveshaft modded/re-balanced.

Doh! I thought it was just the front mounts, not the driveshaft too... Well, its worth experimenting.

I think a re-balance should be relatively cheap if your willing to do the cutting/welding yourself. Its a steel driveshaft so no tig required. The LS w/ a 4.27 and LSD would be very fun on the track.

Ok, so here's the summary. SC300 diff fits the LS just dandy, and though I didn't try it, I should be able to remount my original diff if I needed to without any changes. Just needed to make two new mounts (standoffs). Took me the better part of a day as I wanted to do it right, and don't have a lift. Tig welding upside down with the weld 2" from your face sucks. - using your knees sideways to control the amps? - Priceless!

> Only change requiring and fabrication is the front diff mounts
> Didn't have to remove anything but the diff. Left the exhaust and everything else in.
> Early LS and SC diff covers are different, so have to swap those or change the drivers side rear mount to the SC type. Diff cover locating pins are set up different too, so have to pull the pins and redo those when swapping covers.

Attachments

• CIMG3035.jpg
    CIMG3035.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 10
  • CIMG3018.JPG
    CIMG3018.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 7
  • CIMG3020.JPG
    CIMG3020.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 7
Thats awesome info Spinetti! Glad the SC diff swapped in there fairly easy. I will be following this as my LS really needs an lsd. I assumed it would require more mods but 2 arm mounts isnt too much to ask for. Great news!

Thats awesome info Spinetti! Glad the SC diff swapped in there fairly easy. I will be following this as my LS really needs an lsd. I assumed it would require more mods but 2 arm mounts isnt too much to ask for. Great news!
Hate to admit it to you, but scored probably the ONLY brand new OEM Torsen out there for cheap too. I plan to paint some long black stripes the second I get the Torsen swapped over ;) Keep your eyes peeled - they do pop up... I found mine on a Supra forum... Got it from a D1 Drift guy.

Old thread now, but thought I'd share the "proof" ;) WIll try out the new config in October for the Chicago Lemons race....

Brand new old stock Toyota factory LSD, mounted, and the results.... I originally got a 92' diff, but turns out it the internals were TOAST. Ended up with a 99' that looked brand new throughout with low miles.....

Attachments

• CIMG3028.JPG
    CIMG3028.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 7
  • CIMG3064.JPG
    CIMG3064.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 7
  • CIMG3069.JPG
    CIMG3069.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 9
Wow, I need to keep an eye open for those. Our racecar really needs a torsen diff. We softened up our rear springs, which helps though.

Wow, I need to keep an eye open for those. Our racecar really needs a torsen diff. We softened up our rear springs, which helps though.

Greg, odds are slim to none and slim just left town! about two years of searching to get this one. See if theres a way to adapt the previous gen supra LSD or just use that diff- Those are falling out of the trees cheap.