LS400 newbie from U.K

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

chormelvin

hy everybody i just joined this great site i have recently buyed a ls400 its a 1994 with 74k miles and a full maindealer service history:) i also have a r33gtst skyline with 400hp@hubs but thats sleeping in the garage over winter.i dont know much about V8 engines except they drive well:)
heres a few pics....

:baby:

oky what can i do to get the bhp up on this car i but i still want it to be quiet? looking for another 50hp any ideas?

Thats a clean LS, man. I can tell that one was well-maintained... look at those 17 year old leather seats w/ no cracks? Anywho if your looking for a cost effective bump in HP headers and full exhaust will run around $1000+ for header to tip. A company called S & S makes "i believe" $600 for their headers and tend to offer 20-25hp in themselves. The full exhaust may net anywhere from 15-20hp so 40-45hp. Exhaust is the reason the car is so quiet and also why it has huge restrictions: (3 cats, 2 mufflers and 2 resonators total). I would keep your stock intake and run JUST a high flow filter. All dyno pulls after an aftermarket intake actually showed losses in HP so stay OE with intakes.

Hope the info helps! Check the exhaust channel if your looking for more info.

Thats a clean LS, man. I can tell that one was well-maintained... look at those 17 year old leather seats w/ no cracks? Anywho if your looking for a cost effective bump in HP headers and full exhaust will run around $1000+ for header to tip. A company called S & S makes "i believe" $600 for their headers and tend to offer 20-25hp in themselves. The full exhaust may net anywhere from 15-20hp so 40-45hp. Exhaust is the reason the car is so quiet and also why it has huge restrictions: (3 cats, 2 mufflers and 2 resonators total). I would keep your stock intake and run JUST a high flow filter. All dyno pulls after an aftermarket intake actually showed losses in HP so stay OE with intakes.

Hope the info helps! Check the exhaust channel if your looking for more info.
thanks i got it with F/M/D/S/H i really dont wanna change exhuast...what are headers? sorry for sounding thick:newangel:

It's all good! Headers are the tubes attached to the exhaust side of the engine... collects exhaust and routs them into a single collector (exhaust pipe). The stock ones are very restrictive and aftermarket versions flow much more efficiently. Standard gains tend to be 15-25hp. Installation gets tricky but not impossible... muffler shops should be able to tackle this kind of job.

www.ssheaders.com

thanks for that spf lexus i done my 1st mod to her today i put in upgraded xenon style bulbs in headlights and also uprated the sidelights,had to take out battery to do this.. looks great much better..however the stereo has gone and had a fit:( and i dont know the code is what can i do?:puke:

The code? Did you get some sort of code on your dash? If your stereo blew after the bulb install I would start with fuses, I blow mine all the time when tinkering w/ things and forget to unhook batt.

Some of the good/cheap mods I found for my LS400 was as follows

-Clear front blinkers $45
-aftermarket tail lights (not ricey.. stock red w/ a strip of clear in the middle), about $150 and makes the car look muuuuuch newer.
-JDM headlights (2 piece not 3) runs $350 impoted from Japan.
-Sway bars! Addco.com makes one for yours at $125 and does wonders for cornering/body roll.

thanks spf i got it sorted now the stereo was displaying sec after i dissconnected the battery i found the code and typed it in pressed program button hey presto all working again:)

Haha yes there's some translation.. Headers in U.S are extractors here...
Hood, bonnet,fender, guard,boot, trunk, petrol, gas are others..
After some years on www car forums you become bilingual.. lol...

Nice, tidy well cared for LS you have there...
Welcome to the forums..

HA HA thanks alot guys i see loads of ppl from u.s.a like forced induction i have seen thing like forced induction with a motor on to really make the air get in faster on ebay is it really effective?
heres a few pics of my me 420bhp skyline:).........

i also have pics i need to post of my ls400 but waiting for my mobile/cellphone to get repaired:(

Haha yes there's some translation.. Headers in U.S are extractors here...
Hood, bonnet,fender, guard,boot, trunk, petrol, gas are others..
After some years on www car forums you become bilingual.. lol...

Nice, tidy well cared for LS you have there...
Welcome to the forums..

The correct terminology is "exhaust manifolds", its only the colonials living in our ex-empire who use other terms. :wink1:

On the subject of go faster bits, forget the ebay hairdryer option. I take it as you asked the ebay question that you didnt fit the turbo to your Skyline yourself. That being the case take the LS400 to your mechanic and get him to check it over. A new air intake filter, cleaned injectors, cleaned idle valve and a general service could give it a new spring in its step. May also be worth taking a look at and cleaning the spark plugs also if they havent already been replaced on the service.

Always good to see another UK Lexusphile .....I'm certainly afflicted, with two Lexus engined Cobras in the garage and a LS400 snotter to mess about with.

Cheers,

Tony

The correct terminology is "exhaust manifolds", its only the colonials living in our ex-empire who use other terms. :wink1:

On the subject of go faster bits, forget the ebay hairdryer option. I take it as you asked the ebay question that you didnt fit the turbo to your Skyline yourself. That being the case take the LS400 to your mechanic and get him to check it over. A new air intake filter, cleaned injectors, cleaned idle valve and a general service could give it a new spring in its step. May also be worth taking a look at and cleaning the spark plugs also if they havent already been replaced on the service.

Always good to see another UK Lexusphile .....I'm certainly afflicted, with two Lexus engined Cobras in the garage and a LS400 snotter to mess about with.

Cheers,

Tony

thanks for the reply yes i did fit turbo myself..i will try your advice although it does already drive well...would love to see a pic of your cobras
details hp figures ect..thanks raj:)

thanks cobber the skylines are nice to drive but they arent very good family cars i run out of space so thats why i buyed the ls400 its a dream to drive:)