ls400 into hr holden speedo?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jayzv8

hey guys ive done the searches and been trying for weeks to find a speedo that will work with the ls400 v8 auto and ecu. so far we have it all running but it doesnt change gear. as we currently have no speedo hooked up could this be it? we have a toyota 4runner one and one from a camry, will eather of these work? if so, how do we wire these to the ecu? has anyone had this trouble? thanks for your help. jay.:)

When we have ran these motors auto we sometimes have removed the speedo speed sensor from the box and fitted cable units and they still change gear. The ECU uses the output shaft speed sensor for gear changes and if it fails then uses the vehicle speed sensor signal after it has been modified at the speedo cluster. Both of the speedos you have should be able to be wired up. The VSS has 12Volt power , ignition and the signal. use this link - The 5volt should eb a 12volt http://www.linkecu.com/support/documentation/technical-drawings/S08-ToyotaSpeedSensor
For your gear change problem does it shift when you manually shift it? Cheers

thanks for you quick reply, so from what your saying its the rear sens that controlls gear changes but the front one is a backup? we tried changing manually but it takes off like its in 3rd? and desnt seem to change. also we have a aftermaket hall afects 3 wire speedo kit that hooks onto a cable drive but ours is only 2 wirecomming out of the rear of the trans. for what i gather i just take the signal from the spd terminal on th ecu for the speedo? we just want it to cange gear and have some sort of speedo working:confused:
thanks, jay.

Are you using a UCF20/21 motor / trans? These dont have a separate vehicle speed output. The early boxes have three speed sensors , Input shaft speed , output shaft speed and vehicle speed. If I use a 20series box I often change to a 10 series tailshaft with the extra sensor. As for your changing it sounds like your box is in failsafe and locked in third gear. You will have to do some diagnoses but I would suggest starting with the electrical side of things. I would check for fault codes on the motor and gearbox. From there check the shift switch has power and has outputs when you move the shifter , scope both shaft speed sensors and then check the solenoids have power then receive a signal from the ecu. I will check my diagrams for the speedo output. I also think I have a spare trans tailshaft if that will solve your problem. Cheers

the motor and trans seem to be 1996 ls400? all the pinouts seem to have worked so far (28,16,22,32? i think? i forget rite now lol.) its the 2 speed sens model as far as i can tell. checked the shift switch and has power as ive hooked up the shift pattern lights from the camry dash that i disasembled and they all light up when the appropriate gears are selected. im in the prosses of hooking up the od switch and light to pin 28 on plug 28. the ect switch and light to pins 5,6 on plug 28 is also to be hookd up tomorrow as i ran out of time today. the speedo output is pin 12 on plug 28 i think. the diagnoses is done through the od light i think so i just have to finnish wiring that up and il do a check. also do i need the breaklight switch hooked up too so it cancels lockup? im pretty shure it should work ok till i do it just wont cancel lockup. ill check the tailshaft model and see thanks :)

Brake light switch will help with the lock up and downshift to first when coming to a stop. Hook it up so you know its not going to be a issue. The last plug should be 34 with the header plug offset to one end of the ECU and not in the centre like the 10 series. Did the motor have a large cover over the top? Cheers

yeah good point about the break light will hook up asap too thanks. yes 34 and yes to large cover. also the trans is a 3bolt flange yoke type if that helps.

Both 10 , 20 series and soarer have the three bolt flage type. All have the same main housing which is shared with many other toyota models. I will attempt to do bit more research tomorrow when I get to work. Cheers