LS400 exhaust project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Memphis3

Hi,

I Want to make a V8 sound (kinda old Mustang). Now my LS400 have 2 cat's,2 middle section mufflers and little mufflers/resonators at the end (last one mufflers are delete). Whole system is dual – no X, H or Y pipes. From engine to the end there are two separate pipes. Now I want to delete 2 cats (installing pipes) and remove middle sections mufflers (one of them is cracked), installing there two mufflers/resonators. At the end I want to install two hi-flow mufflers.

Now the question - did anyone tried to do it before? I wonder what's your opinion on this.

P.S
I would like to use 60 mm pipes

What year is your car?

Is sound the only thing that you want to change or do you want more power?

60mm pipe / 2.36" is too large unless you intend to turbo/supercharge.

The "Mustang" sound is a factory H pipe on a V8. You can get very close but not exact as the firing order is different on the 1uz vs the 5.0 HO
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 vs 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

I recommend 2.0" mandrel bent duals if properly done or 2.25" if you must use press bent pipe as long as the bends are gentle. Any exhaust system must pay attention to transition areas. When you change configurations you change the tunning points for the X, H or Y pipe transitions.

`93

More power will be nice, but how much more HP can I reach without changing stock headers ?

If I make a good system, the HP increasce will be visible, won't it ?

Attachments

• HPIM0795.JPG
    HPIM0795.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 44
  • HPIM0796.JPG
    HPIM0796.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 44
A well thought out exhaust on your 1993 could free up 20horses if properly engineered. I would strongly advise mandrel bends for the project... yields more in the end over crumpled bends. S & S headers can add another 20-25. So to turn your 250hp rated car into 300hp=headers + exhaust.

We've seen stock 1uzfe's with a tune and a well-engineered exhaust pull 50rwhp over stock at the wheels, but this is full tune to take advantage.

Today I finished one of my test projects. Cats are removed and there are only two stock mufflers at the end. Now it sounds... more metallic and hitone. For me - it's unacceptable. Next step is to mount two resonators like those: http://allegro.pl/item595508204_sportowy_tlumik_srodkowy_przelotowy_rm_motors.html and two stock mufflers at the end.

What other changes were made besides removing the catalysts? How does it feel driving it? My guess is it does not feel as strong.
Did you damage the catalysts or can they be re-installed?

I left my main cats alone but pulled out my center and added a straight pipe and it added just enough "raw sound" I was looking for, and I noticed a small bump in hp definently. Those stock cats act as 1-way check valves and keep your low end in tact.

Yesterday I removed stock mufflers and installed two resonators. Sound (tone) is OK, really deep and I can fell that is strong V8. But unfortunately it`s too loud. I have to wait for two mufflers / resonators. (that showed the link)
Catalysts are OK. They can be re-install in each moment. I didn`t made any more change only exhaust. After exhaust air intake will be customize.
About driving felling I can say anything because I didn`t take a road test. But I think you right JBrady