Looking At A 1993 SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

wantahertzdonut

I'm trying to get a hold of a guy who's selling a 1993 SC400 that's nearby, and I'm going to try to take a look at it this week. The car has 114k miles on it, and the price seems ok ($4900, but I'll bargain). It has an a/c leak too, is this a nightmare to fix? (and did it use R12 or R143a?)

I've never seen one of these before up close so aside from the a/c issue, what I should be looking for and looking out for? Are there regular service intervals? If so, what are they and what should be done?

Are there any problem areas I should be looking for too?

(I'm sure there's a thread on this, but I have no idea what to search for)

Ok, decisions, decisions. There's now an SC300 5sp for sale out the same way. The question is, would it be easier to swap a 5sp into a 400, or swap a 1UZ into a 300?

Swapping a 1uz into into SC300 would be easier and cheaper then a 5 speed into 400....... Most people swap a 2jz into 300's though and not a 1uz..... Are you sure you want to go thru all this trouble just to have a manual? Your looking at alot of work my friend...

If I were you I would get a SC300 if you must have a manual transmission and then go from there...

I'm already going through the same trouble converting my Mustang to a manual. I'm seeing the parts issue being the biggest problem for the SC's though. I'll have to try driving both, I may just be happy with either one as they are. I'm just really sick of automatic transmissions.

What engine comes in the 300's? I thought they were N/A 2jz's to begin with...

The SC300 has the same engine as the 93-98 Supra N/A. The engine is 2JZ-GE. The turbo Supra has 2JZ-GTE. I think the good option in your case is get the SC300, keep the manual tranny, and swap to the 1UZ. The V8 has more torques and hp when being boosted. It's stronger in stock form, too.

Obviously the internals are different between the 2JZ-GE and the 2JZ-GTE motors.. That is why everyone swaps in the 2JZ-GTE and boosts away because they can handle like 1000hp in stock form... I would love to see the difference between the two inline six motors.. I guess I will use the search engine to find out the facts...

All these years messing with the UZ's I never took the time to see the difference between the two six banger motors...

Apparently the 2JZ-GTE is one of the best motors ever designed by Toyota as it flows like non other...

Torque at launch is the problem as the big boys use nos at launch to get the boost going in those GTE motors...Drag speaking of course...

I would still like a built up UZ motor that is boosted with all the forged internal goodies over a 2jz-gte boosted motor just because of the UZ V8 torque.... Once a UZ owner always a UZ owner...

Once you go V8 it's hard to go inline six but that is just me...

Obviously the internals are different between the 2JZ-GE and the 2JZ-GTE motors.. That is why everyone swaps in the 2JZ-GTE and boosts away because they can handle like 1000hp in stock form... I would love to see the difference between the two inline six motors.. I guess I will use the search engine to find out the facts...

All these years messing with the UZ's I never took the time to see the difference between the two six banger motors...

Apparently the 2JZ-GTE is one of the best motors ever designed by Toyota as it flows like non other...

Torque at launch is the problem as the big boys use nos at launch to get the boost going in those GTE motors...Drag speaking of course...

I would still like a built up UZ motor that is boosted with all the forged internal goodies over a 2jz-gte boosted motor just because of the UZ V8 torque.... Once a UZ owner always a UZ owner...

Once you go V8 it's hard to go inline six but that is just me...

I hope so.. I'm building a 1UZ,Powerglide,Trans brake etc, S475 airwerks turbo, RA28 Celica..Yes an old model. I like retro cars....
Hope to run cosistant 9.9's in bracket race class here...

The 2UZ GTE blocks can handle over 1800 h.p and 60 Lb boost...

I drove the 400 last night, nice car but it's showing some age. The handling was nice and the engine had plenty of power, but the a/c has a leak somewhere and the interior is showing wear. No previous service records either as he's only had the car for a couple months. With 114k miles I hope the timing belt was replaced, but I didn't see any service stickers. Overall I was impressed and if I had the space I'd buy it as a project car, but I need a daily driver and I already have an old Mustang.

I'm going to call the guy with the 300 tonight and maybe look at it tomorrow morning.