Long time lurker pondering first UZ swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Pilk

I have a very ambitious project but I am just in the planing phase at this point. I have been a member here for a long time lurking and I think this is finally my opportunity to do UZ swap something. I'll elaborate more on the chassis once I have it stripped and prepped, lets just call it "Project Tetanus" for now.

Initially I was pretty sure I wanted a 2UZ but after careful consideration I'm not so certain that the added weight will be worth the performance gain.
That said the 2UZ seems to be easier to source locally and much cheaper, plus with an iron block I can imagine it will handle power adders (turbos or SC) at higher boost levels. Which brings me to the results that stand before me:

1UZ - Slightly more expensive but lighter weight and aluminum block.

2UZ - I can source pretty easily for fairly cheap. Cast iron block so potentially able to tolerate more abuse (read boost?). But will that long stroke hinder more than help?

3UZ - Light weight and more displacement, but over twice the price of the 2uz locally.

One of my goals is weight reduction and the original motor is a 4AGE, so I'm sacrificing weight advantage already, but I do have a ~500whp power goal. Either motor I go with I will be adding Lextreme rods, forged pistons and full internals. I'll toss this in the mix too: If I do go with either block I keep reading that the VVT-i heads flow better, but is that true for all models?

Again, this is just early pondering, but thanks in advance!

Lextreme doesn't sell parts anymore and ttc doesn't really exist anymore other than a website still up. eagle rods are probably the best bang for the buck for most people right now

I read that as "f-it, go with the 2UZ and boost to your hearts content."

Lextreme rods were the heart of my dream build, so very sad but I guess if that's not an option I'll have to keep searching. Those XATs look promising and boast a crazy rating, and the price is very nice! I paid more than that for rods in my i4 build (grumble grumble.) Awesome feedback!

Actually no, it was just the answer I needed (IE: wanted from the start to justify the displacement.)
beercheers.gif

x2 for the lurking on the job. Just don't tell the boss.

I have to pair this with a FWD transmission so any more power than that is probably not realistically feasible for quite some time. But to be completely truthful, while a 1UZ in these is considered godly, I wanted an excuse to just totally bat guano with this build. Since it seems the extra displacement is only an 80lb disadvantage I'm probably going to give that a go for the sake of getting extra torque. That might help spool time as well, and it cuts about $700 from my doner-motor budget that I can turn around and spend on rods.

Is the block stamped with "2UZ-FE?"

I found a short block that I'm sending someone to pick up on my behalf since I am working and can't be there. I want to make sure he gets the right one.