Log Style Turbo Headers

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Anyone in here thinking of this method of turbo headers? AAP twin turbo SC430 made 715RWHP with log style headers. Its pretty simple and spacing saving. The cheapest way would be flip the Crown's headers. I have lots of left over pipes at home. Perhaps I should try one. Any comment on this?

I run a simple cast log manifold on my 2JZ-GTE. Very compact, durable, no cracking, and I believe the minimal volume in this manifold compared to an equal length tubular header manifold probably helps the response of the turbo. Others will have different opinions of course.

The downside of this manifold is that it probably restricts the top-end, however others have pulled nearly 700 RWHP out of the 2JZ-GTE motor with this manifold. For my little T61 it works fine, and it would probably work fine up through a T67 or one of the larger GT35's.

I don't think anyone would consider running a T88 with this style manifold, however.

There are some nice transitions from SPD. The transitions can go from 1.50" to 2.50". I think if this setup can generation 500-700 rwhp 99.99% of the owners would be very happy.

Has anyone ever looked into adapting headers for other v8's? i was wondering if maybe a set of headers for say a rover v8 (as these are far more abundant) would be a viable setup. Could the existing flanges be cut off and some 1uz flanges (as available form here) be welded in their place? I'm sure you could get the appropriate primary lengths and diameters etc as there are sooo many variations out there.

Maybe you could even adapt two sets of headers off a inline four celica gt4 maybe? (they are tubular, not cast as standard i believe)

i understand that the bore spacing may be different but that is the only difficult limiting factor i can see. a bit of coaxing may be possible to solve this if it is close.

i'm assuming using headers from a 90 degree v engine would be more likely to fit but i suppose whatever works.

Does anyone have the figures for bore spacing for chevy small blocks, rover v8's etc? its not the kind of measurement that gets thrown around too much.

Just an idea to throw in the mix

Small block Ford uses a port spacing that's close to ours, may be an option.
I was looking at getting some headers and adapting then for use on my car.

I have not done it yet on a UZ engine, but have built them on quite a few other engines with success. For street use, there is no need to waste the time with anything else. Typically, the turbine setup chosen for street duty will impeed flow and induce more backpressure then a log manifold ever will. With the exception of road race engines due to there long periods of high sustained RPM's and large turbines and housing, there is no need in my eyes for any type of tubular manifold for turbo duty.

you could try a custon manifold that combines the two, headers and log manifold. short, equal length tubes feed into a sort of.... collector with the turbo flange. thats a bit vague.... ill try to come up with a better description.

something like this. but with much smaller, and closer to the block.

Eh. I've seen alot of *companies* trying to pass off a log manifold's internal volume equalling better responce. I don't believe it in the least. Every equivilent setup I've ever seen, a tubular manifold retains both beter responice, and obviously higher power figures.

Log manifolds -> short manifolds -> tubular manifolds They break down like that in peformance, and price. If you can't run a tubular manifold, you can run a your sorta short merged 4-2-1 manifold sometimes. They won't deliver the outright preformance or responce of a tubular manifold, but it will do better than a log.
Example:
TurboManifold421.jpg

If you're really worried about a setup that can crack, swap sch 10 for sch 40 regardless of what type you run. Also give consideration to the type of load on the manifold. (sch 10 properly welded should be good enough for anything you'll ever encounter if it's properly built, installed. That includes flex sections & chassie mounts for very heavy setups.) One thing to remember. All manifolds crack eventually! :happysad:

Great link. I'll stand corrected about the spool time then. Eh, I guess I've you're going to be wrong, atleast bee 100-300rpm wrong on weak engines LoL! (I would like to see the time to spool big psi too tho. I still bet it'd flip flop!)

Hi,

i ended up going a log manifold because of the room factor but now in hindsight i could have gone the other way. as is from the back it starts at 1 1/4 and then steps up to 1 1/2 sch 10 all the way to the gt28rs