Light Grind When moving into Drive. HELP!!!!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

redback

Hi guys... and maybe gals..

got a big problem... started the car yesterday as i reversed out of my driveway and moved the auto into drive i get this grinding noise for about a second then the gear or what ever is grinding grabs noticeably and i can move forward... could something be gone in the diff or gearbox... ive had a slight gasket leak from the gear box for a while now.... should be plenty of fluid left but will check tonight....

also but might not be related my traction control light comes on solid after a few KM started happening few day ago????

i also get a very slight noise... like a whine but only for a seconds or so when i come off and then back on to the accelerator... as if someting slows down the whines and it speeds back up on engine acceleration.... might be the torqe converter???

I drive an 1990 LS400 /Celsior
4l V8 4 speed auto

Any info or experiance with this issue would be a great help... as i drive a few hours a day to and from work and dont want it blowing a gear box or diff on the freeway accross the bridge :eek:....

BTW once in Drive it moves fine...... its only shifting into it that i get the grind noise...

cheers

Rick

Allways good to have a light grind in the mornings.....

Sounds to me like you need to check the the oil level.
If the auto is crunched I have one in the shed if you need it for free just arrange frieght.

gearbox still grinds when moving into drive after making sure there was plenty of gearbox oil...... just wasted 80buck.... furious right now....

now looking for gear box... preferably free... preferably in the Melbourne area.

its as if it isnt engaing the gear correctly.. is fine when driving and doesnt do it when i shift down manually.... no slip of full throttle.. and reverse is fine...

any ideas?

Put the car on 4 jack stands and put it on D or R. Then you can get out of the car and hear where the noise is from. Make sure all wheels drop down freely, especially the rear because the car is RWD. You can have someone rev it up a little bit, but be careful when you're near the rolling wheels.

mines the same, also makes rather strange noises at traffic lights when foots on the brake, also strangely enough auto is way overfilled from previous owner something to hide

It may be the solinoids in the trans are on their way out & taking a while for them to open or else one of the valves/springs are on their way out.

How does it go shifting manually through 1, 2, 3, OD. Mine has a slight pause under hard acceleration to stop wheel spin. (normal for Australian delivered LS400) jap spec's are different.