lengthening the loom..?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Big

Howdie all you experts.. As title suggests.. can we lengthen the factory loom without too many problems..??
As 'm in the throws of a new build one of my options is to place the ecu behind the chairs in the cab.. What we are worried about is voltage drop over another 2m of loom..
Is it something not to worry about..? should we..?
I know I could have searched but reading through endless threads about looms doesn't inspire me..;)
A simple yep no problem would suffice..:D or a nop can't be done..:mad:.
Look forward to replies.. Keri

yep
just a prik of a job trying to make it neat
another thing is make sure every solder is good because from the jobs i have seen
in the past 10 years 90% of people cannot solder properly

if u get a problem down the track trying to fault find will make it take much longer

Throw it away and fit a link!!!!. But of coarse I would say that wouldn't I. Cheers
haha yep I'd expect that.. but at 2K+ and no blower yet.. too pricey for my pocket.. I'm just wanting to keep weight down and reliability as it was.
Thats good I can extend the loom.. not a big job but a timey one..
Once complete I'll post up a few pics for those interested.. but it is coming along nicely..:D

Thanks Sideshow..

Keri

Don't just cut the loom and extend the wires.

Stagger the joints in the loom as this will stop it looking like a balloon with a knot in it and will also reduce the risk of shorts should some insulation not be up to speed.

Use heatshrink on every join and vet each join before using heatshrink to ensure there are no sharp bits that will pierce the heatshrink and the joins are good.

And if you can't solder get some one else to do it.

when i solder joins which are close together i double up on the heatshrink on every join
or use the glue heatshrink

and use good automotive cable similar size to factory and not to thick insulation
as the harness section whihc is extended will be abit thicker than rest or loom
prob take 4 or more hours if your good at it

the solder join should be thinner than the diameter of the insulation of the wire u are soldering too otherwise your soldering wrong

Yep I agree.. it will be staggered and I've just stripped another toyota loom out of a 80 series cruiser to get the same sort of wires as on the lex, they are very similar in size..
I like the double heatshrink idea too..
I will be making sure that the soldered joints are perfect.. I have a mate that was a aircraft engineer and he's going to help..probably end up doing it..lol but I am a perfectionist with shyt like this as I don't want it to fail.:)
I don't like the idea of a 4 hour job but if it takes longer and is fault free then I'm happy..:)
Thanks Rod and Sideshow.. I'll post up a few pics so you can see what I've done..
Keri

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the vBulletin based forums are like this. You can edit for the 1st 5 minutes or so after you post, but after that, it's blocked, and you need a Mod to edit.

It's mainly to keep people from saying "I didn't say that" or worse "I never promised that"

BTW, I corrected your taggered to staggered.

4 hours heheeh
i might be wrong
minimum i charge for loom lengthening is 200 bucks and go up from there
holden looms r easy as no shielding wire but japaneeeesssee looms have many shielded cables and stuff so to do a proper job takes twice as long

think it should be closer to 6 hours by time u stager joins and double heatshrink each join
took me 2 hours today to lengthen a ford transmission harness to ford auto ecu

what u can do is use 2 looms and cut the ecu part off one loom and join it near the ecu of the main loom
that way u have one set of joins
not 2 sets

Cool
How long did it take start to finish
I havnt touched a car In over a week
I'm in sunny surfers paradise chilling out
Away from the cars
Have to get motivated and back to work at end of net week

Cool
How long did it take start to finish
I havnt touched a car In over a week
I'm in sunny surfers paradise chilling out
Away from the cars
Have to get motivated and back to work at end of net week
Well lets just say it took over 6 hours...hehehe.. you were right on..;) But it starting to look good and I'm tidying things up now.. will post a pic when it's finished..

ok here we goe Sideshow.. :D Does it meet with your expectations..? I hope so as it doesn't half look too bad now and easy for fixing if anything does go wrong..
Will post up a pic once engine bay side has been tidied up..cheers

Attachments

• IMAG0221.jpg
    IMAG0221.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 7