Just my luck... 6 different engine codes!!!!!!!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

brit_lex

Now that I have spent most of the last 18 months rebuilding my suspension to factory specs, my check engine light comes on very briefly the other day!

I read on this site and others about checking the engine codes..

I tried the paperclip method between the terminals, and I get the following codes appearing (the whole time the O/D light was blinking too - what does that mean????????).

I get codes

From what I have read here, it sounds like my main Oxygen sensors may be wiped out (my fuel consumption has got worse over time and the most recent emissions test had it close to failing on CO output).

I opened the bonnet and started the engine, I can see it vibrating, and if I place my hand on the engine, I can feel it vibrating too.

I've ordered the original factory shop repair manuals to try and make sense of these codes. I'm assuming the original shop manuals will have a troubleshooting section to help me figure out what steps to take to clear the problems?

Any advice from you guys with your previous experiences would be helpful? I'm keen to do as much as the work myself to keep costs down, and hopefully share some stories with you guys to help others in future...

Thanks so much.

Brit_lex

13 - RPM signal, crank sensor.
21 - Main oxy sensor signal, left bank
25 - A/F lean malfunction
26 - A/F rich malfunction
28 - Main oxy sensor signal, right bank
41 - Throttle position sensor.

Most of the problems sound like an oxy sensor or two are dead. The otheres could be wiring problems or dead sensors.

Cool. Thanks guys!

My fuel consumption has got progressively worse over the past 2 years (now I struggle to get more than 18mpg unless I'm cruising at a steady speed).

I've heard that worn out oxygen sensors can ultimately lead to problems with "cats" since you get over rich fuel/air mixtures. Do you think I should put the replacement of oxygen sensors as priority?

Lexls - thanks for the links. Does it sound like I need to do sub oxygen sensors too?

Yes the oxys would be the cause of your fuel problems and they could have caused the cats to go bad. Cats tend to not last very long when not operated in their correct environment.

Do you have a multimeter?? It will help you in solving the TPS and crank trigger problems.

KDog said:
Do you have a multimeter?? It will help you in solving the TPS and crank trigger problems.
Yes, I have one. Are you able to explain quickly what I need to test for error code 13, or should I wait until my factory shop manuals arrive for the full lowdown?

Thanks.

Does your multi meter have a frequency reading? If so then you can measure the frequency of the crank sensor when the engine is running.
Other wise just measure the resitance of the sensor. It shouldn't be a short circuit or an open circuit.