Just bought my first Bike, 01 CBR 600 F4i. tips for a first timer?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
so i just randomly bought a CRB. A friend of a friend had it and just wanted to get rid of it so I snatched it. He used to use it for light stunting. The tank is bashed in so that he could sit on it with his legs over the bars, im looking for a new tank. It also has a very large sprocket which i am looking to replace. Anyways, this is my very first bike and i have never ridden a motorcycle. I can shift through the gears ok every once-in-a-while i miss a gear and it revs out like in N, but the bike is very hard to turn. So anyone have any riding tips for a first timer?

remember that there are 2 types of riders - those that have crashed and those that are going to.

buy the best helmet you can, always wear leather gloves and a leather jacket even in the summer, never ride in shorts. take a safety course, ride a track day at streets of willow in rosamond/lancaster area. keep medical insurance coverage up to date and a card in your pocket, put any medical instructions on the rear of your helmet (they make a sticker for the instructions along with a warning that if someone comes across you crashed out that under no circumstances should they remove your helmet to prevent spinal/brain tissue damage - http://www.helmet-stickers.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2492). that bike will throw you on your ass in half a second so be careful.

put the stock size rear sprocket back on since the one you have on there will lift the front end quick for wheelie riding, for the slow steering check the rake on the front triple clamps since it sounds like the front end is out of whack. frame shop can get it bent back straight.
http://www.bankeperformance.com/techtips/tech_forks.html
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_art/index.html

don't ride like a squid, if you don't know what that means then you are still a squid.

haha your little contemplating frown face in your sig is funny. Good luck with the new toy and have fun.

Attachments

• 144_4409 (Medium).JPG
    144_4409 (Medium).JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 118033 (Medium).jpg
    118033 (Medium).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 5
i suppose i am somewhat of a squid for the time being, though i do not want to end up looking like splattered squid all over the road. I am very cautious on the bike, i have not taken it above 8K rpm or 100% throttle. I dont think im going to hang on to this bike much longer, i had a friend offer me cash for it. But in the short time iv had it i have indeed gained a new understanding and perhaps respect for street bikes and there riders. In the end i think im going to have to stick with 4 wheels.

Very responsable..my mum(shes very wise you know..like all mums) always said.."If you get a Bike make sure you can afford your funeral"...sounded like a bit of fun but they are very dangerous..and back in my youth..i would probably be not here now..i was a bit of a speed freak..LOL but my mums saying kept me from gettting a bike and i always had 4 wheels..and now my passion is 4x4 wheelin..hehe

I think good bike riders make better car drivers. I have ridden bikes for many years and you become very aware of your surroundings and other road users. Yes, I have lost two friends many years ago one to a wall and the other to a car. We were young stupid but not so indistructable.
I gave up bikes for quite a few years after that but I am now back riding again and enjoying every miniute of it. Here's my baby, like all Italian girls, every time you take them out you have to buy them somthing new, but I love ripping up the dirt and riding with mates on the weekends. I think I will always have a bike in the stable.

Enjoy and you will find a whole new intrest and group of people to hang out with.

as long as we are posting riding pictures, me circa 1996:

Sears Point, Turn 2, me on the purple bike passing that slow Honda 600 on the outside on my 91 TZ250. man I miss those days...

Cool pix,

Cobber, i think i will get a trail bike to ride with friends off road through the mountains so i dont feel too bad giving the street bike up.

Sniper, good call,

They still hurt when you come a cropper but I think you have more fun out in the dirt where you can go a bit crazy if you want. It's fun exploring new places as well, we take a GPS for when we get lost, those trees do tend to look the same after a while.

I have owned road bikes before from the early days on a Yamaha RD 350 to a Harley sportster (it was basicly given to me, never again, please don't judge me for riding farm equipment) to a Ducatti 998 (sex).
I now have a VOR 450 4 stroke Italian enduro bike, there were very few of them made and even less made it to Australia but she has never let me down and the engine and suspension set up is fantastic.

My wife also has her bike licence she want's a Royal Enfield. I have no idea how she can aford it with me spending all the money on my toys all the time.....

Mike,
I can almost see you rolling on the throttle, and hear the ringing, great action shot.

Sniper, I've always been a fan of the Honda CBR's...I've owned a few myself years back 900CBR's and found them superior in most ways compared to all the other rice burners... They shifted smoother then most and had a solid feel to them but what I found to be disturbing is that they didn't deliver as much power as most of it's competitors unfortunately.. Still my favorite choice of bikes...Congrats...