Jeep AW4 TCU to control a340h in 1UZ swap(x-jeepters chime in!)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cheap4r

I have been doing a lot of searching on this and was wondering if you old xj jeepsters could help me out

This is what i know (or think i know)

The Jeep AW4 is made by Asian Warner and is remarkably similar to the A340F (same trans, different input, tcase, and output housing)

internals and solenoids similar a340H (tcases aside)

The Jeep AW4 uses a transmission control Unit (TCU) to regulate all solenoids.

The solenoids are very similar (possibly interchangeable with a340x's)

Here is the Tech article Cebby posted a while ago that gives a history of our Toyota transmissions and shows that the Jeep AW4, Isuzu 30-40LE, and in some cases Volvo Trans are rebadged Toyota stuff and Uber similar with same case, internals (except valve bodies) plus have similar bell and output housing bolt patterns (this opens up even more possibilities such as using extremely cheap and plentiful AW4 output housings with 23 spline input NP/NV tcases mated to a341e etc... i guess to be discussed in other threads...)

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/93%204Runner/Transmission_Mods/Pages%20from%20a340%20-%20Transtec.pdf

here is the question...

I am about 2 weeks away from putting a 1UZ in my 1994 4runner, can I wire an AW4 TCU to control my transmission (a340h) instead of having the 1UZ ecu try and interpret/send the incompatible signals? This is a wiring diagram for an AW4 with Economy/Power switch similar to our transmissions.

http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/TCU4.jpg

AW4 TCU inputs:
TPS
Brake switch
economy/power switch
12 v (switched)
speed sensor

I’ve seen and searched uzswap.com Pirate and posted on yotatech but never heard anyone speak of this option. Am I just thinking about this wrong? Thanks!

cheers.gif cheers.gif

Attachments

• cheers.gif
    cheers.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 0
Sounds logical to me.

You may need to be the guinea pig and try it out.

Given the similarity in the transmissions it should work.

One question can you give the Jeep controller all the information it needs to work?

I am fairly sure the controller should get the info it needs, it is having the controller send info to the 1uz engine which i am not all that sure will be possable. I have read in other posts that the 1uz ecu would send a signal to the engine to change timing miliseconds before the shift would happen. is there other issues that i am not thinking about? Has anyone ever played around with the input output of the AW4 TCU?

Thanks Guys!

cheers.gif cheers.gif

Attachments

• cheers.gif
    cheers.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 0